Anyone play an instrument?

Peloquin

Local time
11:17 AM
Many years ago I bought a bass guitar and never really did anything with it. I ended up selling it to fund a tarantula hobby I had but I always liked the idea of learning bass.
I had decided to buy a cheap one and mentioned it to a mate who said "Nip round, borrow one of mine"
So I'm now trying to learn to play. I'm not over interested in the theory side but I think I'm gonna have to learn it to get any good.
I want to be able to pick the bass up and hit random notes that don't sound like random notes, if you know what I mean.
So, what do others play and to what level?

It is fantastic that you wish to learn to play bass guitar.
It gives so many benefits, stress relief, feelgood boost, brain exercise, just fun...
To play chords, you need musical alphabet, how they are set onto the strings, and basic harmony.

I do not play the guitar. I play piano, and teach it.

There are free apps that can provide basics...try a few out, see what works for you.👍🍀

Be patient and forgiving to yourself.😊

It is fantastic that you wish to learn to play bass guitar.
It gives so many benefits, stress relief, feelgood boost, brain exercise, just fun...
To play chords, you need musical alphabet, how they are set onto the strings, and basic harmony.

I do not play the guitar. I play piano, and teach it.

There are free apps that can provide basics...try a few out, see what works for you.👍🍀

Be patient and forgiving to yourself.😊
Thank you, so far I've been hammering YouTube and picking tips up and trying to learn a few basic songs by following tabs. I've got the basic parts of Iron Man by Black Sabbath and I can sort of play Another One Bites the Dust but I'm aiming to be able to play Fall Back Down by Rancid...
View: https://youtu.be/CinJuVtdp3Y

Thank you, so far I've been hammering YouTube and picking tips up and trying to learn a few basic songs by following tabs. I've got the basic parts of Iron Man by Black Sabbath and I can sort of play Another One Bites the Dust but I'm aiming to be able to play Fall Back Down by Rancid...
View: https://youtu.be/CinJuVtdp3Y
Wow. Already? Well done👍

I don't play anymore, but I used to play classical guitar - and of course, electric and accoustic. I was interested in trying my hand at keyboards, but barely got around to it.

I don't play any more, but still have a fine Fender Strat and a classical, if I should want to torture myself for having lost the dexterity of my hands.

Wow. Already? Well done👍
They are very easy to play the right notes, getting the timing right and the length of now etc is a bit harder and on Iron Man I get lost and either miss out or add extra bits of the main "is he live or dead" bit.

I also decided to try to play stuff I'm not a fan of to give me a broader area and(hopefully) knowledge.

And I spent about an hour yesterday working out the theme tune to Roobarb and Custard. 😄

I was a drummer in High School. Our bass player is my best friend since high school. Our guitar player went on to play with Michael Jackson. I just remember drunken/stoned nights in my 73 GTO like the rest of us.

BeckyMartyGlenn.jpg

Here is Becky long after she got drunk in my GTO.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tioZxg4oXs

By the way, my best friend, the bass player in the picture was, and is still, the best musician of the three of us. He taught Becky everything she she knows about playing the guitar.

CD

Last edited:
I was a drummer in High School. Our bass player is my best friend since high school. Our guitar player went on to play with Michael Jackson. I just remember drunken/stoned nights in my 73 GTO like the rest of us.

View attachment 61527

Here is Becky long after she got drunk in my GTO.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tioZxg4oXs

By the way, my best friend, the bass player in the picture was, and is still, the best musician of the three of us. He taught Becky everything she she knows about playing the guitar.

CD
Brilliant!

I play several instruments and have worked as a musician off and on over the last 35 years or so. Now I'm in an "off" period until retirement.

Guitar (acoustic and electric), bass (upright and electric), banjo (bluegrass and clawhammer/frailing), mandolin...varying degrees of proficiency with those, though guitar is my primary instrument.

Keyboards...I have a hard time working the two hands together, so the only occasions I've ever done any keyboard parts have been in a recording setting, and I had to do the two hands separately. :laugh:

Drums...I can manage a basic rock/pop beat and just about keep it going with a simple fill or two. I've felt pretty comfortable the very few times I've sat behind a kit, to the point that I could gladly buy some drums, but if I did that, I'd be looking for new living arrangements.

I also had a short six week course in playing bodhran, and I took bagpipe lessons for quite a while before a relocation ended that.

After I retire, I fully intend to pick up the accordion.

Back
Top Bottom