Anyone try cooking a Bresse Chicken?

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
10:34 AM
Hello!

For Christmas Day, I bought a frozen 1.5kg Bresse Chicken which I've never tried before, expecting great things. I brined it overnight, then did a French-style Poulet Roti (lemon/garlic/herb stuffing).

I wonder if anyone else on CB has tried this chicken? To be honest, it was ok, but I wasn't amazed - I found it to be quite skinny with small breasts (sorry - couldn't think of another way to say that), and had some quite thick chewy tendons in the drumsticks. The thighs were ok and probably the best part of it.

The web says that these chickens have a good meat-to-bones ratio but I found it to be the opposite - a lot of skeleton (which admittedly did make a good stock) with not a super large amount of meat. While I could tell it was different (I would say the flavour 'was earthier') The taste didn't make me think 'this is a 10x chicken' which is the about the order of magnitude in its cost difference - about $70 USD it set me back.

A month ago I had a non-AOC imported corn-fed French chicken for a third of the price which I thought was better tasting and better value than it.

What's your opinion on the Bresse chicken? Should I try again a different way? (ala creme?)

IMG_5269.JPG

I've been tempted to buy one but they are hugely expensive so I've always thought. 'Oh gosh, what if I spend all that money and it isn't that good?' I mean, how good can a chicken be?

So $70 in UK money that is around £50. In Euros its 57€. Big money indeed. I doubt they are available in the USA but not sure. I think the last time I saw one was fresh - and it was around £45.

I doubt they are available in the USA but not sure. I think the last time I saw one was fresh - and it was around £45.

I read that in the US breeders have created what is known as 'American Bresse' apparently, though I expect France is also exporting some over there and charging astronomical prices.

That seems a bit more reasonable - and that's a whopper - +/- 2kg? If you do get one, let us know what you think and how you cooked it please. :)

+/- just means about 2kg, they wont declare exact weight as it varies slightly from animal to animal

Any real difference in flavor/texture for a free range chicken?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I could spend that much for a chicken. I'll pay a premium for a USDA Prime steak, or even more for a Wagyu steak, but not for yardbird.

CD

Never heard of it and at those prices won't. I've never seen them here. Free range organic are nice birds. I use what the wife gets, she knows my tastes.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom