Aprons

Do you wear an apron on your kitchen?

• Total voters
I never use an apron, and I don't know anyone who does. Many many decades ago my mum did, but even she stopped using one many moons ago

Sometimes, especially if I'm making bread (somehow I always manage to get sticky dough on my T-shirt).
just in the process of making another loaf of sourdough and I don't even own an apron to wear in the first place. I have been wondering if I need to get one with the mess I make. But since they only come down to the knees it seems pretty pointless! :scratchhead:

just in the process of making another loaf of sourdough and I don't even own an apron to wear in the first place. I have been wondering if I need to get one with the mess I make. But since they only come down to the knees it seems pretty pointless! :scratchhead:

Ive just made some scones and managed to slop the flour and some milk all down myself. :chef:

Dot even wear one in the kitchen at work now ,except if I'm doing meat then I'll wear a butchers apron, I find letting the air circulate up my jacket keeps me cooler , saying that with the temps we reached over the last few days , nothing keeps you cool

Chef Day-Day..jpg

I'd LOVE to get a black one for my 11-year-old grand nephew!
To match his gray shirt & his black chef's hat that he likes to wear when he cooks!! :wink:

I reckon women wore aprons more often before the advent of washing machines. It was easier to hand wash and dry a thin cotton apron, than a whole set of clothes. In fact, I remember my Great Grandmother (a woman born in the 1870's) almost permanently wearing an overall - this wasn't a trousered overall but a kind of wrap around pinafore or apron. She only took it off when it was a special occasion (which wasn't very often!). Of course, I'm talking here about a working class woman. It looked a bit like the one this lady is wearing:

Anna Byczek~.jpg

Also, my mother remembers that as a child, she wore a pinafore every day over her dress (a sort of smock pinafore). Here is a fascinating site, if you're into pinnys! https://sites.google.com/site/apronhistory/home

We used to have to wear one in cookery class at school. It had nothing to do with protecting our school uniform. The old witch who taught the class could not care less about that. It was the done thing and you had to have an apron. If you did not have your apron with you, you were sent to see the headmistress (who I am absolutely certain hated the old witch as much as we did). The HM kept a spare supply of aprons and tea-towels (the other thing you had to bring to the lesson and woe betide anyone who had forgotten your tea-towel (one girl got a frying pan thrown at her, another got a bag of flour thrown at her!)...

if you're into pinnys!

I had forgotten they were called pinnies!

I have not worn an apron in years. When I did wear one back then, it was very seldom. I used to see my grandmother and mother wear them regularly though. I somehow believe that they are not as popular nowadays to wear them at home, but I do see them worn in restaurants.

I sometimes do wear an apron before cooking foods. This is one way of keeping the foods clean. After working outside your house, the clothes may carry dust. An apron also keeps your clothes safe from being stained.

I always wear an apron. I'm really clumsy and am always dropping and splashing things. I've ruined too many good tops in the past with Bolognese sauce stains so these days I always wear an apron.

I am quite surprised with the thread because it made me realize that kitchen apron is now obsolete. At least that's what I notice in all the houses that I go to. My siblings don't use the apron and neither do my cousins. Perhaps we can launch an Apron Day to revive that symbol of the kitchen. A cook in those days wouldn't touch the food without wearing the apron.

Back
Top Bottom