Recipe Apulian tarallucci with fennel seeds

Sandra

Über Member
Local time
6:09 PM
Mod Edits in bold

I live in Rimini in the region of Emilia Romagna but my mother is from Puglia, a region in the south of Italy, and I spend two weeks in August every year in this beautiful region.
tarallucci.jpg

Ingredients:
500 gr refined flour (plain, white or wholemeal)
200 ml white wine
10 gr salt
1 (table)spoon fennel seeds
125 gr EVOO

Method:
Mix well all the ingredients in a bowl, then transfer the dough on a work surface area and work the dough with your hands till it is well elastic and compact (for about 15 minutes).
Put the dough in a bowl and cover it with some film and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Resume the dough and create about 50 balls of 16-17 gr each. Roll them with the palm of your hands, creating sticks about 7-8 cm long, join the ends to form a ring.
In the meantime, put a large pot on the stove with unsalted water and turn on the oven at 200 degrees.
When the water boils dip about 25 tarallucci and remove them with a skimmer as soon as they come to the surface, laying them on a tea towel, then proceed with the other half. Let them cool for a minute, place them on a baking pan covered with baking paper and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until they become golden.

collage taralucci.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sandra

Absolutely wonderful !! Yes, these are lovely and not excessively sweet ..

I have a dear friend who has a Restaurant in Rímini on the Coast ..

Auguri .. Buon Anno Nuovo ..
All my best wishes for a marvelous 2018 just ahead ..

@Sandra

Absolutely wonderful !! Yes, these are lovely and not excessively sweet ..

I have a dear friend who has a Restaurant in Rímini on the Coast ..

Auguri .. Buon Anno Nuovo ..
All my best wishes for a marvelous 2018 just ahead ..
Buon anno nuovo anche a te @Francesca and let me know the name of the Restaurant, maybe I know it! :)

What an interesting recipe - I've not come across these before. There is a similarity to bagel (boiling the dough before baking) but with white wine is something I've never seen added to dough. :okay:

Last edited:
I love these. They are very similar to Jumbals except for the addition of the wine - the recipe I have dates from the 16th century, although it has been modernised recently :laugh:

I've a couple of questions

First, the ingredients list. Can you clarify sone things please.
  1. Should the flour be self raising or plain? (presumably white not wholemeal?)
  2. Should the white wine be dry, medium or sweet or even a dessert wine?
  3. "1 spoon fennel seeds". Is this a teaspoon, dessertspoon or tablespoon
  4. The extra virgin olive oil. Is it best to have one full of flavour? Some EVO oils don't have huge amounts of olive flavour compared to others.
Secondly, am I correct in presuming that they don't increase in size much at all? (mine didn't much).

Thirdly, how do you serve them? Do they get dipped in something such as hummus or olive oil?

Fourthly, should they be crunchy on the outside and softer on the inside?

Sorry for so many questions but I have made a batch and am left wondering.
Thank you.

I've a couple of questions

First, the ingredients list. Can you clarify sone things please.
  1. Should the flour be self raising or plain? (presumably white not wholemeal?)
  2. Should the white wine be dry, medium or sweet or even a dessert wine?
  3. "1 spoon fennel seeds". Is this a teaspoon, dessertspoon or tablespoon
  4. The extra virgin olive oil. Is it best to have one full of flavour? Some EVO oils don't have huge amounts of olive flavour compared to others.
Secondly, am I correct in presuming that they don't increase in size much at all? (mine didn't much).

Thirdly, how do you serve them? Do they get dipped in something such as hummus or olive oil?

Fourthly, should they be crunchy on the outside and softer on the inside?

Sorry for so many questions but I have made a batch and am left wondering.
Thank you.
1 flour must be plain and I used white flour but you can also use wholemeal
2 wine must be dry or medium not sweet. I used white Pinot Chardonnay
3 table spoon
4 I used Apulian Evoo, full of flavour

Correct, they don't increase in size, there is no yeast

We serve them as accompaniment as breadsticks or crackers. I used them in an aperitif together with marinated olives and artichokes in oil. They don't get dipped in anything.

Correct, they are crunchy on the outside and softer on the inside. To make them more crispy, the boil is skipped and placed directly in the oven.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
1 flour must be plain and I used white flour but you can also use wholemeal
2 wine must be dry or medium not sweet. I used white Pinot Chardonnay
3 table spoon
4 I used Apulian Evoo, full of flavour

Correct, they don't increase in size, there is no yeast

We serve them as accompaniment as breadsticks or crackers. I used them in an aperitif together with marinated olives and artichokes in oil. They don't get dipped in anything.

Correct, they are crunchy on the outside and softer on the inside. To make them more crispy, the boil is skipped and placed directly in the oven.
:thumbsup:
Thank you.

I've edited your ingredients list (in bold) to clarify because I had assumed it was a teaspoon of fennel seeds not a tablespoon. I think I used a medium white wine but not knowing much about wine with me not drinking it, I'm not sure because I didn't pay it much attention.

They are moreish. I can see that they would be better with a tablespoon of fennel seeds, but not being a fan of the aniseed flavour I decided to pasty it carefully and only use a teaspoon as a precaution.

Mod Edits in bold

I live in Rimini in the region of Emilia Romagna but my mother is from Puglia, a region in the south of Italy, and I spend two weeks in August every year in this beautiful region.
View attachment 12570

Ingredients:
500 gr refined flour (plain, white or wholemeal)
200 ml white wine
10 gr salt
1 (table)spoon fennel seeds
125 gr EVOO

Method:
Mix well all the ingredients in a bowl, then transfer the dough on a work surface area and work the dough with your hands till it is well elastic and compact (for about 15 minutes).
Put the dough in a bowl and cover it with some film and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Resume the dough and create about 50 balls of 16-17 gr each. Roll them with the palm of your hands, creating sticks about 7-8 cm long, join the ends to form a ring.
In the meantime, put a large pot on the stove with unsalted water and turn on the oven at 200 degrees.
When the water boils dip about 25 tarallucci and remove them with a skimmer as soon as they come to the surface, laying them on a tea towel, then proceed with the other half. Let them cool for a minute, place them on a baking pan covered with baking paper and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until they become golden.

View attachment 12571

@Sandra being Apulian me too by Paternal family, seeing these I can only say WoW! Tarallucci is a very good way to start a lunch or to have a snack. Yours look very tasty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom