Are my fruits etc organic?

Being "grass fed" is a minefield, too. Cattle can be fed on pasture grass for 90-percent of their life, and fattened up with corn for two months before going to market. I'm sure it is the same with sheep. Being grass fed, even from start to finish, is no guarantee that an animal is organic, either. Even ranchers who don't give antibiotics to ALL of their animals, will give them "as needed" if some animals get sick. Even grazing in pristine pastures, some animals will get sick.

CD
Here sheep I reckon most get grass fed their entire lives and then sent to the "top" paddock to fatten up on lucerne. I fed my horses in lucerne as well. Up to 700 bales a year to supplement grass.
I dont know about worming sheep. The contents?

Russ

OK - here´s the $64,000 question.
Seriously, how important is "organic" produce to you; how (easily) do you source it; are you happy paying through the nose for it; and would you spend an extra hour looking for organic stuff rather than normal stuff?
No criticism or anything; I try to buy fresh produce always, sometimes at the farmer´s market. I cook most food from scratch; no packaged, fresh-frozen or frozen food. BUT I´m not even going to worry myself about whether it´s truly organic or not. I´m too old for that.-

Here sheep I reckon most get grass fed their entire lives and then sent to the "top" paddock to fatten up on lucerne. I fed my horses in lucerne as well. Up to 700 bales a year to supplement grass.

Russ
Depends. I know that there are farmers that use tobacco as a dewormer. I used to give my horses some kind of paste in a tube (similar to a putty/caulk dispensing gun) that I would shoot back into their mouths and they couldn't spit it out. It must have tasted awful because they sure tried.

Depends. I know that there are farmers that use tobacco as a dewormer. I used to give my horses some kind of paste in a tube (similar to a putty/caulk dispensing gun) that I would shoot back into their mouths and they couldn't spit it out. It must have tasted awful because they sure tried.
Yeah a syringe down the mouth.

Russ

Yeah a syringe down the mouth.

Russ
Don't you love it when they twist their upper lip up above their teeth lol!

Last edited:

Russ

It too me a while to find out what "lucerne" is, other than a city in Switzerland. It is apparently what you Brits call alfalfa.

CD

It too me a while to find out what "lucerne" is, other than a city in Switzerland. It is apparently what you Brits call alfalfa.

CD
Yup. They sell alfalfa cubes for horse treats, my horses loved those and they're super healthy.

Don't you live it when they twist their upper lip up above their teeth lol!
View attachment 79645
Yeah' some characters as well. We have a short wood handle with a elastic bit to tie their lip up. I've always found it cruel, but I'm not the trainer.

Russ

CD

All I know is that its twice the price of hay. But it's good for them.
Alfalfa.....that's a new one on.me!!

Russ

Yeah' some characters as well. We have a short wood handle with a elastic bit to tie their lip up. I've always found it cruel, but I'm not the trainer.

Russ

Russ
It's called a twitch. But they'll do it on their own with peanut butter or dewormer.

Edited to add my hunter-jumper/dressage horse didn't trailer well, so sometimes we had to use the twitch to go to competitions. It was just a few seconds til we got her in the trailer.

Last edited:

Russ

Russ

Once again, Americans and Brits are separated by a common language. :laugh:

CD

OK - here´s the $64,000 question.
Seriously, how important is "organic" produce to you; how (easily) do you source it; are you happy paying through the nose for it; and would you spend an extra hour looking for organic stuff rather than normal stuff?
No criticism or anything; I try to buy fresh produce always, sometimes at the farmer´s market. I cook most food from scratch; no packaged, fresh-frozen or frozen food. BUT I´m not even going to worry myself about whether it´s truly organic or not. I´m too old for that.-
Yeah, this is a tough one for sure. Organic is a system that does tick some boxes for me that ensures that organic producers must have an annual plan that addresses soil and ecosystem health, and their operations are reviewed each year by organic certifiers under the guidelines and of course without the use of non organic compounds, which depending on someone's individual stance on the environment, is preferable over factory farming. I mean lets face it, everyone would prefer not to contribute to the destructive nature of factory farming, or at least I believe most would.

Personally for me and I've mentioned this a few times when this topic comes up that sustainable and responsible farming is my preferred method. Sustainable farming means regenerative, ethical farming practices that enhance soil biology and demonstrate a positive, scalable example of producing healthy food on healthy land with fewer external inputs. Part of that is crop rotation which addresses and improves soil biology which creates a thriving rich environment which organic doesn't necessarily address. Being regenerative is key to sustaining the vital ecosystem that surrounds this type of farming not only beneath the soil but on the soil that encourages pollination. Unfortunately there is no governing body that controls or says what constitutes sustainable so the interpretation by some can be misleading. Cheers.

EDIT TO ADD:
Addressing paying through the nose does happen, sometimes, but if you shop around that can be minimized and if bought seasonally I've generally paid less than supermarket prices for most vegetables and the best deals are not at farmers markets but individual farm stands. For example I bargained this summer for almost a bushel of cayenne peppers for 20.00 which was enough for 16 liters of sriracha. Also the taste of sustainable foods are imo generally superior as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a tough one for sure. Organic is a system that does tick some boxes for me that ensures that organic producers must have an annual plan that addresses soil and ecosystem health, and their operations are reviewed each year by organic certifiers under the guidelines and of course without the use of non organic compounds, which depending on someone's individual stance on the environment, is preferable over factory farming. I mean lets face it, everyone would prefer not to contribute to the destructive nature of factory farming, or at least I believe most would.

Personally for me and I've mentioned this a few times when this topic comes up that sustainable and responsible farming is my preferred method. Sustainable farming means regenerative, ethical farming practices that enhance soil biology and demonstrate a positive, scalable example of producing healthy food on healthy land with fewer external inputs. Part of that is crop rotation which addresses and improves soil biology which creates a thriving rich environment which organic doesn't necessarily address. Being regenerative is key to sustaining the vital ecosystem that surrounds this type of farming not only beneath the soil but on the soil that encourages pollination. Unfortunately there is no governing body that controls or says what constitutes sustainable so the interpretation by some can be misleading. Cheers.

I'm not sure about that. I've seen comments on this very forum that suggest that not "everyone" cares what effect their food purchases have on the global eco-system. I think it is probably less than 50-percent, at least in North America, that really care what impact their purchasing decisions have on the ecology. "I know what I want, I can afford to buy it, that's all that matters."

CD

I'm not sure about that. I've seen comments on this very forum that suggest that not "everyone" cares what effect their food purchases have on the global eco-system. I think it is probably less than 50-percent, at least in North America, that really care what impact their purchasing decisions have on the ecology. "I know what I want, I can afford to buy it, that's all that matters."

CD
Your right, unfortunately. I was being philosophical hoping that that was the case. A lot of time it's the difference of knowing the details and if someone is aware of those details and declares they still don't care might be different from someone that when they were made aware of those same details might change their habits, but again, I said I hoped most would, but yeah a lot of people genuinely couldn't care less.

CD
My neighbors use roundup weedkiller. Thankfully our vegetable garden isn't adjacent to the property line. But they have small kids. If I had kids that like to run around barefoot in the yard in the summer, I would not be using roundup on my property.

It's called a twitch. But they'll do it on their own with peanut butter or dewormer.

Edited to add my hunter-jumper/dressage horse didn't trailer well, so sometimes we had to use the twitch to go to competitions. It was just a few seconds til we got her in the trailer.
Do you think I could remember the name,twitch, that's it. Brain wouldn't engage.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom