Are my fruits etc organic?

I'm not sure about that. I've seen comments on this very forum that suggest that not "everyone" cares what effect their food purchases have on the global eco-system. I think it is probably less than 50-percent, at least in North America, that really care what impact their purchasing decisions have on the ecology. "I know what I want, I can afford to buy it, that's all that matters."

CD
I hear you - I really do. I can see our world going to Hell in the next hundred years, because most of its population doesn´t give a damn (or doesn´t even know ) about recycling, global warming, acid rain, carbon footprints, sustainability BUT...
Personally, I try to do my bit; and that´s probably not very much considering the HUGE problems facing the world. In developed countries, there`s really no excuse anymore for not respecting the environment or doing your bit to sustain the global eco-system. We´re informed, we´re (supposedly) educated; even our politicians know what the problems are and are making some effort to address the problem.
This might be very well and good for developed nations, but 3rd world countries and the two largest populations in the world (India and China) simply have many more pressing concerns, like feeding starving people, getting folks out of extreme poverty, organising basic health care and, in one word, surviving as nations. It´s very sad, but true.
I have this mantra: if you really can t make a tangible impact on something, don´t get stressed about it.
I do my bit and encourage others to do the same. That´s about as far as I can get.

I hear you - I really do. I can see our world going to Hell in the next hundred years, because most of its population doesn´t give a damn (or doesn´t even know ) about recycling, global warming, acid rain, carbon footprints, sustainability BUT...
Personally, I try to do my bit; and that´s probably not very much considering the HUGE problems facing the world. In developed countries, there`s really no excuse anymore for not respecting the environment or doing your bit to sustain the global eco-system. We´re informed, we´re (supposedly) educated; even our politicians know what the problems are and are making some effort to address the problem.
This might be very well and good for developed nations, but 3rd world countries and the two largest populations in the world (India and China) simply have many more pressing concerns, like feeding starving people, getting folks out of extreme poverty, organising basic health care and, in one word, surviving as nations. It´s very sad, but true.
I have this mantra: if you really can t make a tangible impact on something, don´t get stressed about it.
I do my bit and encourage others to do the same. That´s about as far as I can get.

On a related note to organic farming and chemical fertilizers. Some years back, someone flew a group of midwest farmers to Louisiana, took them out on fishing boats, and showed them the "dead zones" in the Gulf of Mexico South of Louisiana and Texas. They got to SEE what their misuse of fertilizers was doing to fishermen below the mouth of the Mississippi river (that water tends to move West when it hits the Gulf). They went back home and became activists for better farming practices, so less nitrogen would end up in the Mississippi river, to eventually feed algae blooms that would consume all the oxygen in the water, and kill off everything for miles.

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 9.31.27 PM.jpg

CD

Such a good topic.
I am considering to buy a small patch of land out of a gift my Dad gave me for Christmas.
I would love to grow sweet potatoes and potatoes, andwhaterver else I am able to.
I have zero knowledge, or very low about growing anything...and I have to take into consideration that I have no car, no equipment...
But it seems to be a deep desire. And I love the idea of growing some of my own food. I highly doubt it will be organic, but homegrown is enough for me at this point.
I have not decided on it yet, so thanks for all the info.

Also, I am not saving any money growing my own peppers and herbs. In fact, it would be cheaper to just buy them. You have to do it because you want to do it.

How are you not saving money growing your own herbs? Mine pretty much reseed themselves and become pests at the start of the growing season. (And this was no different in the UK down at temps of -15°C. I only get -10°C here and the occasional snow).
I've literally torn out so much dill this year. I freeze what is collected from those plants, if it's going to be cooked with, then freezing doesn't alter the appearance in the end product and you only need to let a single seed head, not even a single plant go to seed and you've got next years plants sorted. Same with parsley, coriander, fennel (and you can collect the seeds as well on all.) I get rosemary doesn't always survive, but most plants are pretty easy to grow from seed each year if needed including thyme and savoury etc (both usually survive under snow (winter savoury is hardy, summer savoury is an annual). and as for chives, once they have established, there's little getting rid of them, just like mint.

Add the cost of compost and organic pest control
I use neither.
Seeds on the ground. I have never used pest control organic or otherwise. IUncertainty don't buy compost.
In droughts, I recycle water. I've always collected rain water (used to have those 1,000L tanks everywhere. Collect when it rains and save for when the garden needs it) and grey water. I've never watered with what I'll call tap water because I've never lived on mains water. So I guess I'll not understand. I just throw the seeds down.

It's only basil I have never managed to successfully grow. It really just doesn't like me!

All of the others from bay leaves, to tarragon, dill, parsley, savoury, various traditional English herbs virtually no-one has heard of (sweet woodruff for example), chamomile, and many many others i grow or have grown. One things herbs typically don't like is a well fed compost. They thrive in poor nutritional content soil and typically well drained. That's something I'm great at providing.

So I guess I'll just not understand.

I use neither.
Seeds on the ground. I have never used pest control organic or otherwise. IUncertainty don't buy compost.
In droughts, I recycle water. I've always collected rain water (used to have those 1,000L tanks everywhere. Collect when it rains and save for when the garden needs it) and grey water. I've never watered with what I'll call tap water because I've never lived on mains water. So I guess I'll not understand. I just throw the seeds down.

It's only basil I have never managed to successfully grow. It really just doesn't like me!

All of the others from bay leaves, to tarragon, dill, parsley, savoury, various traditional English herbs virtually no-one has heard of (sweet woodruff for example), chamomile, and many many others i grow or have grown. One things herbs typically don't like is a well fed compost. They thrive in poor nutritional content soil and typically well drained. That's something I'm great at providing.

So I guess I'll just not understand.

Well, clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'll just ease on out the back door, now. See ya'.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom