Are you afraid of Spicy Food?

We had a guest for dinner last night, a friend of our daughters, she's French and can't stand spice. My daughter asked me to not put chilly powder in the butter chicken. So I made it still with paprika etc just no chilly. I then made a mix of chopped whole chillies with evoo so others could add their own heat. Our guest scraped the sauce up it was that nice. Everybody was happy. As someone mentioned earlier, you can add but you can't take it away. I cater to the lower denominater.

Russ

When I cook for a group of people, and I don't know all of them well, I always go easy on the heat. I put a variety of hot sauces on the table, so people can add as much heat as they want.

CD

When I cook for a group of people, and I don't know all of them well, I always go easy on the heat. I put a variety of hot sauces on the table, so people can add as much heat as they want.

CD

I have two options, the chilies in oil as mentioned above or a bottle of my own chilly sauce. That's pretty hot. My son took two bottles home last night, and daughter took 1 home. I must find a medium one?

Russ

I like a little bit of heat on the front of my palate but none on the back. I seriously do not want the afterburn to last and I don't want to have any repercussions with my digestive tract at any point in time, if you get my drift. So I love wasabi because it hits immediately but doesn't last, and doesn't spoil the taste of the food by burning my tongue. And I never feel it in my innards or on the way outards, LOL. I do not mind mild jalapenos as part of a dish, like nachos or in chili, and I make baked jalapenos stuffed with shrimp and cheese then wrapped in bacon that are a bit tangy but not to the point where it ruins the flavor of the food. I also like stuffed Hungarian medium hot peppers. I don't much like hot sauces, although Frank's Red Hot wing sauce is pretty good on some wings as long as I have some ranch dressing to cut the heat. No inferno sauces for me, thank you!

I like a little bit of heat on the front of my palate but none on the back. I seriously do not want the afterburn to last and I don't want to have any repercussions with my digestive tract at any point in time, if you get my drift. So I love wasabi because it hits immediately but doesn't last, and doesn't spoil the taste of the food by burning my tongue. And I never feel it in my innards or on the way outards, LOL. I do not mind mild jalapenos as part of a dish, like nachos or in chili, and I make baked jalapenos stuffed with shrimp and cheese then wrapped in bacon that are a bit tangy but not to the point where it ruins the flavor of the food. I also like stuffed Hungarian medium hot peppers. I don't much like hot sauces, although Frank's Red Hot wing sauce is pretty good on some wings as long as I have some ranch dressing to cut the heat. No inferno sauces for me, thank you!

Frank's Red Hot is good on Buffalo wings, and best when you heat it with an equal amount of butter. That's the "original" recipe. At least that's what they say. I like it.

CD

Frank's Red Hot is good on Buffalo wings, and best when you heat it with an equal amount of butter. That's the "original" recipe. At least that's what they say. I like it.

CD
That's all I use, Frank's and butter. And like the ad says, "I put that s<bleep>t on everything!"

I do like a sweet/savory combination. A favorite is savory. sweet sett potato casserole. There is a little cayenne in it, not enough to jump out at you but enough for you to taste at the end of the bite. I have also made brownies with a pinch of cayenne. Baked sweet potato fries tossed in EVOO, salt. pepper. cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne.

I do like a sweet/savory combination. A favorite is savory. sweet sett potato casserole. There is a little cayenne in it, not enough to jump out at you but enough for you to taste at the end of the bite. I have also made brownies with a pinch of cayenne. Baked sweet potato fries tossed in EVOO, salt. pepper. cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne.

I like sweet/hot combinations. My BBQ sauce has cayenne pepper AND good local honey. Stubb's has a Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce that is very good, too.

CD

There is a series of destination food show called "Food Paradise". One episode featured spicy foods, which were basically over the top. One Indian place featured a Vindaloo dish, that you had to sign a waiver if you wanted to eat it. It showed the chefs in the kitchen wearing masks as they made the dish because the chilis were giving off vapors as they prepped the dish. The customer was a white guy from Jamaica who ate the dish, without breaking a sweat nor showing any facial expressions at all. I think he freaked out the owner and chefs. They gave him a certificate of accomplishment for eating it.

There is a series of destination food show called "Food Paradise". One episode featured spicy foods, which were basically over the top. One Indian place featured a Vindaloo dish, that you had to sign a waiver if you wanted to eat it. It showed the chefs in the kitchen wearing masks as they made the dish because the chilis were giving off vapors as they prepped the dish. The customer was a white guy from Jamaica who ate the dish, without breaking a sweat nor showing any facial expressions at all. I think he freaked out the owner and chefs. They gave him a certificate of accomplishment for eating it.

I had a like/dislike relationship with that show. I did not see that one. I have seen videos where chefs prepare challenge foods with gas masks. My response would have been an instant, Aw' He// No!

CD

Back
Top Bottom