Are you afraid of Spicy Food?

Yes, and I wonder how food in Europe tasted like before discovery of America and spice routes :)

It tasted very good anyway and curiously enough I was wondering about how food tasted in America and other countries before Europe discovered them and exported its food as well

There is certainly an issue of conditioning involved - those who never or rarely eat spicy food (native French and Italians for example) are often unable to handle even medium strength curry in my experience and would no doubt find that the chilli eclipsed any other flavours.

Having eaten in Indian restaurants here since I was a teen, I'm well used to spicy food and will try anything, however hot. Sometimes it is more chilli tasting than anything else bit that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I rather like having my mouth on fire. Chilli has a natural high which can produce euphoria!

That’s right, Italians and French are not very used to eat spicy food. In Italy the “spicy region” is Calabria where ‘Nduja comes from and they have chilli peppers quite strong, but I’m saying this not being a great user of chilli peppers, so maybe for those ones who are more expert, this could be quite opinable.
Personally I like spicy food and chilli pepper but in a very low quantity, only as a twist in food.
More chilli/spicy food gives me problems to stomach, anesthetize my mouth and makes me sweat like one who has just came out from a swimming pool.
In low quantity I really appreciate it

It tasted very good anyway and curiously enough I was wondering about how food tasted in America and other countries before Europe discovered them and exported its food as well

Europeans didn't actually "discover" America. They came, took the land, and killed the people who were already living here. Those people ate food. They taught some of the Europeans how to make some of their foods -- the Europeans who didn't kill them. Many of those Europeans would have died of starvation, had the native Americans not taught them how to survive the harsh winters.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyfGYKMK9gE

CD

Europeans didn't actually "discover" America. They came, took the land, and killed the people who were already living here. Those people ate food. They taught some of the Europeans how to make some of their foods -- the Europeans who didn't kill them. Many of those Europeans would have died of starvation, had the native Americans not taught them how to survive the harsh winters.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyfGYKMK9gE

CD

I know hystory, worry not.
Anyway, I was referring not to what they did by killing people, ok? I was referring to the time when people from Europe (Colombo for example) discovered the new world and food related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Columbo (Columbus) did not bring anything to America. He took from America. He enslaved native Americans. Some of them were sex slaves. The most valuable were girls around age ten. American history is what it is, but it's not always pretty. Columbo was no hero. He makes Jeffery Epstein look like a decent dude.

It was't until the 20th century that European immigrants had a real impact on American food. Unlike Columbo, they came here poor. They came here looking for work that thy couldn't find in Europe. My great grandfather was one of them. They "gave" far more than they "took." They had no choice -- they had no power (money).

Sorry for the thread-jack, but I felt that a reality check was needed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...topher-columbus-his-men-could-not-annihilate/

CD

Last edited:
Columbo (Columbus) did not bring anything to America. He took from America. He enslaved native Americans. Some of them were sex slaves. The most valuable were girls around age ten. American history is what it is, but it's not always pretty. Columbo was no hero. He makes Jeffery Epstein look like a decent dude.

It was't until the 20th century that European immigrants had a real impact on American food. Unlike Columbo, they came here poor. They came here looking for work that thy couldn't find in Europe. My great grandfather was one of them. They "gave" far more than they "took." They had no choice -- they had no power (money).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...topher-columbus-his-men-could-not-annihilate/

CD

No, a reality check wasn’t needed and surely not to me and as I’ve already told you, mine was only a referring to something else, but at this point you seem to be a bit too over.
Have a nice evening.

CD
No, a reality check wasn’t needed and surely not to me and as I’ve already told you, mine was only a referring to something else, but at this point you seem to be a bit too over.
Have a nice evening.

Mod comment: I think there is a bit of misunderstanding here. You are each talking about slightly different things. 'Food, politics, demographics and history' is a complex subject. Perhaps it would be better to have a new thread if folk wish to discuss this subject further?

Mod hat off now: I find it fascinating to think about the history of cooking and how it relates to politics and demographics. There are some very good books and studies about this subject, so a new thread (for those interested) may be good. However, I'm also aware that it is problematic on a food forum with a diverse community to discuss complex subjects such as this, which are the subject of many a Master's level dissertation!

I love the subject as well, and I do imagine things tasked pretty damn lousy in about 550AD, regardless of where you lived. No McDonald's, for a start. :)

Mod comment: I think there is a bit of misunderstanding here. You are each talking about slightly different things. 'Food, politics, demographics and history' is a complex subject. Perhaps it would be better to have a new thread if folk wish to discuss this subject further?

Mod hat off now: I find it fascinating to think about the history of cooking and how it relates to politics and demographics. There are some very good books and studies about this subject, so a new thread (for those interested) may be good. However, I'm also aware that it is problematic on a food forum with a diverse community to discuss complex subjects such as this, which are the subject of many a Master's level dissertation!

Again, apologies to the forum, and too MyPinch. I did not intend to offend anyone. I just wanted to share something about our sometimes messy history.

American food is is a blend of many foods, from Europe, to Africa. Some of the foods we love were created by slaves. And, we sometimes come up with something new. The history of the UK's love of Indian food is not without colonial blemishes. Maybe we should have a thread about the history of our foods -- good and bad.

CD

Again, apologies to the forum, and too MyPinch. I did not intend to offend anyone. I just wanted to share something about our sometimes messy history.

American food is is a blend of many foods, from Europe, to Africa. Some of the foods we love were created by slaves. And, we sometimes come up with something new. The history of the UK's love of Indian food is not without colonial blemishes. Maybe we should have a thread about the history of our foods -- good and bad.

CD
They were just talking about this today on The Splendid Table.

In reply to CD's question - if you are talking spice that comes with heat then, yes, I am afraid. 😳🤢 anything I eat with spicy heat seems to spoil the taste of everything else as in "all I can taste is the burning heat/spice".

We had a guest for dinner last night, a friend of our daughters, she's French and can't stand spice. My daughter asked me to not put chilly powder in the butter chicken. So I made it still with paprika etc just no chilly. I then made a mix of chopped whole chillies with evoo so others could add their own heat. Our guest scraped the sauce up it was that nice. Everybody was happy. As someone mentioned earlier, you can add but you can't take it away. I cater to the lower denominater.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom