Are you afraid of Spicy Food?

Craig and his oldest brother (RIP) did something like that once. They were going through craig's hot sauce collection, putting a few drops on a cracker, then eating it. They worked their way up to Dave's Insanity. Couldn't talk, turned beet red. I don't remember whether they used milk or honey or both, but I do remember asking if I needed to take them to the hospital.

I've watched some friends do that, all men. I love watching, and taking pictures. I tasted some ridiculously hot pepper sauce one time on a cracker, and decided that I would never do it again.

CD

You can always add heat, just can't take it away.

Amen! That's how I cook. If I want more heat, I have about five different varieties of hot sauce in the fridge. That is especially important when cooking for guests. Let them add as much heat as they want -- don't make that decision for them.

CD

I like the majority of the food that I eat to be spicy, whether it's from the inclusion of chillis or black pepper. To take @TastyReuben's scale, about 7 or 8/10. If making a chilli con carne, salsa or sambal I use both fresh cayenne and fresh Thai hot chilli peppers, the former for taste, the latter for spicyness. For curries I use both dried red chillis and fresh Thai hot chillis. Generally the only dishes that I eat with prik kee noo (bird's eye chillis) is tom yam khung or gai (8/10).

Red cayennes and red Thai hot chillis.

Last edited:
You pepper-heads need to watch this video about Ed Currie (real name) of Puckerbutt Pepper company. He invented the Carolina Reaper, and now has a new pepper, called Pepper X, that is even hotter...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uNpjqH-mQQ

CD

Great vid, funny you posted this, I just started about a dozen chillies we just got from Arizona. Not labelled but wife thinks it's the one we talked about 'on here about 4 months ? Ago? Funny long name . Anywho they are under cover in a warm environment.

Russ

I used to love hot food, but since I moved up here to wussy land my taste buds have steadily gotten less interested in it. But I still think that when your ears start to tingle it's just right. Just hot enough to get endorphins going but not so hot as to be unpleasant.

hat has been my disappointment with curries -- all heat, tastes mediocre, at best.

Quite simply, you haven't had a good curry. I make curry without chilli at all sometimes. Indian food (and I'm not really talking about UK curry house food), is all about the subtle balance of spices, of which chilli may or may not be one. Burt Blank mentioned this above, I think. Curry is probably the wrong word as its not an Indian word - in India there are simply have different names for different dishes. One great thing for you, caseydog is that its possible to make an incredibly tasty dish with little salt.

How can I tempt you to make a good curry with little or no chilli?

This is how my lamb looks
Picture002 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom