Are you washing your hands correctly?

I wash my hands the way I brush my teeth very long and very thorough. Sometimes I add a little detergent to my soap for a little more kick to the anti-bacterial aspect of it. I touch my dogs a lot that's why I make sure to keep my hands clean so no germs or dog hair can go near the kitchen where I cook my meals. My hands have become rough and blistered from my excessive cleaning, I'm a little paranoid because of my anxiety.

Sterilize everything, boil you hands in bleach, drink only distilled water, consume no bacteria. You will never eat cheese [certainly not blue !!!] drink beer or wine [yeast] bread [yep yeast again] wild fruit [unless you have a handy sterilizer in your pocket] vegetables [unless you wish to boil them to death]. As I've have mentioned before we have generations of children growing up with stunted immune systems due to never having met any bacteria in their over sterilized super clean lives. In fact I even believe I have swallowed a dog hair or two and oddly I still manage to draw breath. The measures taken in hospitals are quite irrelevant as they are dealing with people with people who are either sick or have open wounds [or both]. At some point in your life you may well get an 'iffy' tummy - that is why you have an immune system. Take reasonable precautions by all means but sometimes I believe the ravings of the 'health and safety' experts drifts off into the realms of paranoia. After all when we compare the numbers who die from food poisoning vs those who die from car accidents I think we are panicking about the wrong thing.

I do not grow my nails long and I am already used to it ever since I was young. I am comfortable having short nails and I always want my nails to look clean. Even though, I had this habit of washing my hands very often. After going to the toilet, before and after eating, before and after preparing and cooking foods, after cleaning the house and kitchen, gardening and other activities which needs the use of our hands....I always wash my hand. Then at night before I go to sleep I moisturize my hand for hydration and protection.

The department of health here came out with a guideline on how to wash the hands properly. A simple soap and rinse is not enough to remove the dirt and bacteria. The infomercial was specific with the washing instructions as to wet the hands thoroughly then soap your hands and make bubbles with the soap while singing the happy birthday song twice. That's the amount of time needed to wash away the dirt and germs that may be resting on our hands.

Sterilize everything, boil you hands in bleach, drink only distilled water, consume no bacteria. You will never eat cheese [certainly not blue !!!] drink beer or wine [yeast] bread [yep yeast again] wild fruit [unless you have a handy sterilizer in your pocket] vegetables [unless you wish to boil them to death]. As I've have mentioned before we have generations of children growing up with stunted immune systems due to never having met any bacteria in their over sterilized super clean lives. In fact I even believe I have swallowed a dog hair or two and oddly I still manage to draw breath. The measures taken in hospitals are quite irrelevant as they are dealing with people with people who are either sick or have open wounds [or both]. At some point in your life you may well get an 'iffy' tummy - that is why you have an immune system. Take reasonable precautions by all means but sometimes I believe the ravings of the 'health and safety' experts drifts off into the realms of paranoia. After all when we compare the numbers who die from food poisoning vs those who die from car accidents I think we are panicking about the wrong thing.

I'm with you on this one! However obsessive you are you will never eliminate possible 'germs'. You handle money. Do you wash your hands after in case they are contaminated? Maybe some people do! You shake hands with someone. God knows where their hands have been! Did they wash heir hands after going to the loo? I could make a long list but won't. Yawn...

I don't agree with you on some of your points,As some one who does this for a living and having to spend time with a new client yesterday and a eho for 3 hours on a food poisoning allegation ,
People that are prepared to share their filth by cross contamination is not funny ,you can make your own decision to have a little bacteria ,but I don't want to share any ones bacteria ,thanks ,even when using public toilets I don't touch any thing with my hands,yeast,blue cheese etc is not deemed to be that harmful ,no run pasteurised products only to certain groups
I'm not obsessive but I have experience of people's ignorance first hand,
The view of measuring risks is a choice that millions of food handlers in the world do every day and hopefully their understanding does make the catering world a safer place ,millions of pounds are spent on this every year and is governed quite closely

And then there is the problem of taps (faucets). I've got a tap with a lever in the kitchen, which means that if I have dirty (or possibly contaminated) hands I can nudge it on with a clean side of my hand. But many taps have the kind of mechanism which requires you to twist the top, using your fingers. So you then have to wash the tap after you have washed your hands! If you are in a public toilet, this is even more of an issue if you are worried by hygiene, since you have no idea who touched the tap before you did. And do you wash the taps afterwards when you use a public facility? I can't say that I've noticed anyone doing this! Lots of places now, have automatic sprinkler systems to wash your hands which don't require use of hands to switch on. But there are still many places which don't including other people's bathrooms.

I also happen to have it on good authority that a large proportion of men do not wash there hands at all after urinating. I always think about that when a man shakes my hand!

I use a piece of toilet paper or hand roll to turn the tap off and open a door in a public toilet ,it's my phobia public lavs,hand rails are another source of harboured bacteria ,and is a nasty hide for the norvovirus,paper money is a bad one as well ,a lot of bacteria we can't avoid but other people's bacteria be ain't to be shared

I use a piece of toilet paper or hand roll to turn the tap off and open a door in a public toilet ,it's my phobia public lavs,hand rails are another source of harboured bacteria ,and is a nasty hide for the norvovirus,paper money is a bad one as well ,a lot of bacteria we can't avoid but other people's bacteria be ain't to be shared

You are a tad OCD but I do understand where you're coming from, @Berties :happy:. Handrails! I never thought of that one. :eek: So how do I get up and down steep steps without using the handrail? I know you are probably fit and can spring up every step - but I'm older than you! Do you think I should wear gloves? I hate gloves.

Be happy to take the problem from you!

You are a tad OCD but I do understand where you're coming from, @Berties :happy:. Handrails! I never thought of that one. :eek: So how do I get up and down steep steps without using the handrail? I know you are probably fit and can spring up every step - but I'm older than you! Do you think I should wear gloves? I hate gloves.
We had a full hotel scrub out on a mass norvovirus out break years ago symptoms similar to food poisoning guests being hospitalised,and hand rails are a big transfer of bacteria ,I'll say now I'm not ocd I hate dirty toilets ,plain and simple ,the idea of strangers urine and crap turns my guts in side out ,some ehos recommend gloves for certain jobs ,but with maintained adequate training and hygiene I feel they are not necessary ,yes germs are on many things but eradicate the risks,
Like the training on allergies and the education of sufferers we now have such a low rate of problems as it is getting through

We had a full hotel scrub out on a mass norvovirus out break years ago symptoms similar to food poisoning guests being hospitalised,and hand rails are a big transfer of bacteria ,I'll say now I'm not ocd I hate dirty toilets ,plain and simple ,the idea of strangers urine and crap turns my guts in side out ,some ehos recommend gloves for certain jobs ,but with maintained adequate training and hygiene I feel they are not necessary ,yes germs are on many things but eradicate the risks,
Like the training on allergies and the education of sufferers we now have such a low rate of problems as it is getting through

Was jesting, @Berties! I understand your thoughts on this matter. But I still don't know how I am supposed to tackle public stairs!:scratchhead:

Back
Top Bottom