Are Your Cooking and Dining Choices Atrociously Outlandish?

• Total voters

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
6:54 PM

Put your two cents in on what might be the definition of fine dining and healthy food intake with your comments.

Since joining CB, my cooking and dining choices have gotten to be somewhere on the upper side of rich, very rich.

I have to admit, I'm not sure what you mean by "atrociously outlandish" - I know what the words mean, but not quite what you're getting at with respect to food choices.

I have to admit, I'm not sure what you mean by "atrociously outlandish" - I know what the words mean, but not quite what you're getting at with respect to food choices.
Do you more often than not, overdo it? Do you go beyond the norms of what the civilized tract home dweller sees as fit and normal meals?

I answered "No," but it's really more of a "probably no," as everyone tells me IRL that "normal" people don't have picnics or afternoon tea. :laugh:

I don't think atrocious and outlandish would be the correct words. Our meals range from comfort foods to haute cuisine, but i certainly wouldn't label anything as atrocious or outlandish, nor would any of our neighbors I believe, though we do eat things most of them have never had, or would even eat in some cases.

Overdo it to me means consuming too much of something, and we don't do that anymore. Maybe to some extent in the past, but certainly not anymore.

Reactions: mjd
I add my comment to the vote. I think the most outlandish thing anyone would normally say is my spices.

But it's so good, what's wrong with them ?

T

Sometimes......what some may consider outlandish is every day fare for others..Depending on how much you are into cooking you can have meals on a regular basis that others would only dream of having or do so only for special occasions...We live in a small rural town with no real good restaurants so we rarely go out to eat...subsequently, we have no problem spending a good buck on ingredients to have a lavish meal as it is the basis of our entertainment budget.

.One thing we are guilty of is when it comes to certain things we have the good fortune of selling in our shop...when we have steak, I like to cook each person a huge Prime steak even though I know full well that there is no chance of ever eating half of it..but, it never goes bad as I have a ton of recipes for left over steak and there is nothing like treating your friends by sitting down to a huge steak on your plate to celebrate life and reward yourself for all of the hard work and sacrifices we make.
I'll also spend a couple of hours making a pot of chili because I want to use one ladle full for a chili dog..

Last edited:
I cook good food, some of it is restaurant standard, mostly comfort food though. I tend to cook good meals every second night and easy meals the next.
Sunday roast leg lamb or smoked chicken fettucine or similar
Monday eggs on toast
Tuesday chicken Kiev with veges
Wednesday salmon on toast
Thursday risotto
Friday takeaways
Saturday I try to surprise my wife with something nice, a steak or lamb steak and veges.
No one complains so I'm sticking to it.

Russ

I don't think atrocious and outlandish would be the correct words. Our meals range from comfort foods to haute cuisine, but i certainly wouldn't label anything as atrocious or outlandish, nor would any of our neighbors I believe, though we do eat things most of them have never had, or would even eat in some cases.

Overdo it to me means consuming too much of something, and we don't do that anymore. Maybe to some extent in the past, but certainly not anymore.

I agree with Medtran49. I love a good USDA prime ribeye steak, which would cost about 60 bucks at a prime steakhouse. But, I can cook one at home for about 15 bucks.

And, on the other hand, I sometimes enjoy eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Do I like being pampered at a Michelin star restaurant? Well, yeah! But it is not a top priority.

CD

I'll also add...I've been on other cooking forums, some general cooking and some specialty things, and I think compared to other cooking forum members, we're all "normal," because seeing a man carrying a giant platter of no doubt extremely expensive steaks is normal...for us. Or taking all day to smoke some ribs, or all day to make a beautifully-decorated cake. Hey, it's what food-focused folks do!

But compared to a lot of people, people who eat to live (as opposed to living to eat), we probably all seem "atrociously outlandish" at times. Most of my online friends cook spaghetti and red sauce, but the sauce is from a jar, and it's a bagged salad, bottled salad dressing, and that's fine, but you're not going to turn any heads that way. To them, simmering a sauce all day and making your own dressing from scratch and actually thinking about what goes in the salad is...atrociously outlandish.

Matter of fact, I made a loaf of bread once, very pleased with it, and sent a pic to a friend, who sent back her loaf of bread...which had been made from store-bought frozen dough. Nothing wrong with that, but her comment was, "Who has time to make bread from scratch? Duh!"

They say the pandemic has led to a resurgence in home-cooking. That may be true, but I'll bet it hasn't led to a resurgence in homemade cooking. That's still too much trouble for most of the people I know.

I'll also add...I've been on other cooking forums, some general cooking and some specialty things, and I think compared to other cooking forum members, we're all "normal," because seeing a man carrying a giant platter of no doubt extremely expensive steaks is normal...for us. Or taking all day to smoke some ribs, or all day to make a beautifully-decorated cake. Hey, it's what food-focused folks do!

But compared to a lot of people, people who eat to live (as opposed to living to eat), we probably all seem "atrociously outlandish" at times. Most of my online friends cook spaghetti and red sauce, but the sauce is from a jar, and it's a bagged salad, bottled salad dressing, and that's fine, but you're not going to turn any heads that way. To them, simmering a sauce all day and making your own dressing from scratch and actually thinking about what goes in the salad is...atrociously outlandish.

Matter of fact, I made a loaf of bread once, very pleased with it, and sent a pic to a friend, who sent back her loaf of bread...which had been made from store-bought frozen dough. Nothing wrong with that, but her comment was, "Who has time to make bread from scratch? Duh!"

They say the pandemic has led to a resurgence in home-cooking. That may be true, but I'll bet it hasn't led to a resurgence in homemade cooking. That's still too much trouble for most of the people I know.

I make all my own sauces including pasta from stuff we grow, I have prolly 100 litres plus of preserves in 2 pantries in the garage. I prefer to make what I cook from scratch. As you know we grow herbs as well. Most of our friends don't do from scratch, they cheat.
You can tell the difference.

Russ

My thing with making things like my own tomato sauce is partially because I enjoy it, partially because it is easy, and partially because the sauce in a jar has 20 ingredients, and some of them have names I can't pronounce. If reading the back of a jar is like reading a chemistry book, I'd rather pass on that.

CD

Back
Top Bottom