Recipe Armstrong's Caribbean pork brine

buckytom

Veteran
Local time
3:20 AM
This is my attempt at replicating a recipe from a now defunct restaurant in NYC, Jimmy Armstrong's Saloon. Jimmy was a merchant seaman who collected recipes from his travels up and down the Atlantic coast.

Jimmy has passed now, but this is is as close as I've been able to come to reproduce his delicious pork chops.

Ingredients:

4 cups of water
3 Tbsps of sea salt
2 Tbsps of molasses
2 Tbsps of black peppercorns, ground
4 Tbsps of sugar
2 Tbsps of dark brown sugar
1 whole lime, squeezed then quartered
3 Tbsps of apple cider vinegar
10 dried bay leaves
15 allspice berries
1 head of garlic, lightly toasted, or 1 heaping Tbsp of garlic powder
2 small onions, quartered
1 mango, pitted and quartered, or 2 small apples, quartered
5 cloves, ground (the prickly spice)

Grind black pepper and cloves, add everything to a pot and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, add 4 cups of ice to help brine cool. Pour over chops and let marinate overnight.

This makes enough to be able to brine about 8 chops.

Serve with a side of yellow aromatic rice and peas, and twice fried sweet plantains.

I really have to try this. Me and pork chops have never got on and I'm hoping that this recipe will change things. :)

Sounds good. I wonder if it would work without the salt, as a marinade, and I'd really have to ditch the plantains as a side dish.

I've tried it as a dry rub using lesser amounts of the allspice, cloves, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, and pulverized bay leaves.

It was ok, but the brine is much better.

I've tried it as a dry rub using lesser amounts of the allspice, cloves, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, and pulverized bay leaves.

It was ok, but the brine is much better.
When I get some allspice :)D), I'll give it a try. I just very rarely use salt (usually only in bread-making); 3 tbsps. would last me 6 months.

I am supposed to avoid salt due to high blood pressure, but I'll allow myself to indulge in a brine once in a while.

I've been reducing my salt intake now for a few years, and it's amazing how salty so many things taste now.

This doesn't taste salty, though, so I pretend it's ok.:wink:

I am supposed to avoid salt due to high blood pressure, but I'll allow myself to indulge in a brine once in a while.

I've been reducing my salt intake now for a few years, and it's amazing how salty so many things taste now.

This doesn't taste salty, though, so I pretend it's ok.:wink:
My taste buds are so sensitive I can taste the natural salt in food. I don't need to add any either in preparing, cooking or eating a meal.

Back
Top Bottom