Recipe Arraganate Potato from Basilicata

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:31 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

This is a traditional Italian potato side-dish originating from Basilicata region, in the South of Italy. It’s basically made with layers of potatoes, onions and tomatoes seasoned with breadcrumbs, dried oregano and Pecorino cheese.

“Arraganate’ is the dialect word for ‘au gratin’.

Serves 3-4, Preparation time 20 mins, Cooking time 50-60 mins

• 5 Yellow potatoes (medium size)
  • 4 tomatoes better if a bit ripe
  • 1 medium-size white onion or red onion
  • a clove of garlic, minced
  • EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to taste
  • 50 g breadcrumbs
  • about 60 g grated Pecorino cheese
  • Dried Oregano, 2 tablespoons
  • Salt and black ground pepper, to taste
Method

Pre-heat the oven to 180 C / F 350 / Gas 4.

Slice finely potatoes, tomatoes and onion to a thickness of about 3 mm. Mince the garlic clove.

In a bowl, add the breadcrumbs with oregano and minced garlic, mix.
Mix the potato slices into the breadcrumbs mix and allow them to take on flavour.

Grease the baking dish with oil, place a first layer of potatoes slightly overlapping on each others, add a layer of onion and one of tomatoes. Season with salt, black pepper, a drizzle of Evoo, scatter evenly with the breadcrumbs-oregano mix and with a generous handful of grated Pecorino.

Proceed in this fashion until you finish all the ingredients (max 3 layers).

Sprinkle the remaining breadcrumbs-oregano mixture on top of the potato slices and a handful of grated Pecorino and a drizzle of EVOO.

Bake in a pre-heated oven to 180 C for 50 or 60 mins - it depends on your oven.

Turn on the oven- grill mode for the last 5 minutes.

Let them cool down for a few minutes before serving them.

We had an Italian-American neighbor, first generation, who made a dish kind of like this. He would shingle the potatoes and tomatoes in rows in a 13x9 inch baking pan, then tuck in chopped fresh basil, salt and pepper, then drizzle with EVOO and bake. Craig especially loved it. I bet this recipe is even better with the addition of breadcrumbs and cheese. Next time I make it, I'm going to do it this way.

We had an Italian-American neighbor, first generation, who made a dish kind of like this. He would shingle the potatoes and tomatoes in rows in a 13x9 inch baking pan, then tuck in chopped fresh basil, salt and pepper, then drizzle with EVOO and bake. Craig especially loved it. I bet this recipe is even better with the addition of breadcrumbs and cheese. Next time I make it, I'm going to do it this way.

Uh yes, of course, the way your neighbour made it was and is very much in use in southern Italy, my dad makes both versions. But this one in particular has the 'crispy' element given by the gratin and the Pecorino is perfect here. Put a lot of oregano, I recommend. I have written down the doses trying to be precise, but in recipes like these you go a bit 'a sentimento' (by feeling)

Back
Top Bottom