Artifical Food colouring in Egg Yolks

This is what the 18% grey card is designed for¡ @Yorky do you have one? I can easily get one. I can't think what else I can get hold of that came from the UK, that @Yorky would also have. Grey cards get around this issue.
They are not expensive. Ranging from 55p upwards on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cameras-Photography/625/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=18+grey+card)

Wiki actually seems to have one of the better explanations plus a useful photo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_card

512px-Manweissabgleich.jpg

Last edited:
This is what the 18% grey card is designed for¡ @Yorky do you have one? I can easily get one. I can't think what else I can get hold of that came from the UK, that @Yorky would also have. Grey cards get around this issue.
They are not expensive. Ranging from 55p upwards on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cameras-Photography/625/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=18+grey+card)

Wiki actually seems to have one of the better explanations plus a useful photo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_card

512px-Manweissabgleich.jpg

I guess I'll have to order one.

I guess I'll have to order one.
me too... But you also need to read up on your camera and make the changes in the camera as you do each shoot where we need to colour balance. There is a way of telling the camera that this is the custom white balance... you will need to RTM (usually RTFM if you work in IT and are less polite (apologise if you go and look it up and are offended... you would not know how many times an IT engineer sits on the end of the phone, asks the person to restart their machine and whilst they are doing so is simply finding the manual and looking up the answer for the end user... if only they could actually read!)

me too... But you also need to read up on your camera and make the changes in the camera as you do each shoot where we need to colour balance. There is a way of telling the camera that this is the custom white balance... you will need to RTM (usually RTFM if you work in IT and are less polite (apologise if you go and look it up and are offended... you would not know how many times an IT engineer sits on the end of the phone, asks the person to restart their machine and whilst they are doing so is simply finding the manual and looking up the answer for the end user... if only they could actually read!)
I understand RFTM! :laugh:

Operating manuals can be difficult to decipher here. Some are only in Thai and others have been translated into Chinglish from Mandarin. For the majority of the kit that we have I've managed to download an English version of the manual but even those can be difficult to follow as the translations are not clear. For our microwave (LG) the only manuals that we have are the one which came with the appliance in Thai script and one which I downloaded from the net which is in Rumanian! Luckily the controls on the appliance have dual Thai/English signage.

mw control.jpg

Last edited:
These are from the same batch of eggs as the one accompanying the Bratfud Bangla two days ago.

nov gammon 1 egg s.jpg

These are from the same batch of eggs as the one accompanying the Bratfud Bangla two days ago.

View attachment 4107
These look as your eggs normally do so maybe the Bradfud one was errant.
The next nearest one's here, to the colour of your Duck eggs and The Black Farmer eggs seem to be Cotswold Legbar, The shell is a delightful duck egg blue. I used them in this dish: Ful Medames. Its a close call...

DSCF2934.jpg

Last edited:
I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to rush out and buy either a piece of grey paper or a jar of Vegemite, but I would like to pitch into the yolk colour competition. Perhaps if I took a photo using the lid off a Marmite jar for comparison someone could translate it for me? Marmite to grey paper, or Marmite to Vegemite via grey paper. Whatever. It would also avoid me having to grips with all that technical stuff in the camera manual that I have never read.

I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to rush out and buy either a piece of grey paper or a jar of Vegemite, but I would like to pitch into the yolk colour competition. Perhaps if I took a photo using the lid off a Marmite jar for comparison someone could translate it for me? Marmite to grey paper, or Marmite to Vegemite via grey paper. Whatever. It would also avoid me having to grips with all that technical stuff in the camera manual that I have never read.

If what I see on "my" screen is the same as I see in "real life" it is of no concern to me. I think the problem occurs when different folks with different viewing facilities see different variation of the colours.

However, what you see as red is only because you have been told that it's red. It could look green through my eyes but because I've been told it's called red, I call it red.

I remember a story of an old Thai guy taking his "driving test" (joke) here. When the examiner pointed to red he said "stop"; green he said "go"; amber he said "wait". As far as I know he passed.the test.

Back
Top Bottom