As a cook, what would the current you say to the old you?

That's pretty much how we are here, wife has an awesome garden. We are able to eat anything we want.from cheap to expensive. Annabel does the one thing that ps me off with chefs or cooks, include their f ing families. I can't stand her.
Back to my upbringing, we were raised in a state house, government supplied cheaper. Mum raised 3 boys. So things were cheap cuts of meat , lots of offal and grandparents helped a lot. I'm not complaining, hell it made me tougher. I still love cheap comfort food.

Russ
That with the garden sounds awesome, good job both of you! Really?? Does she do that? Well she made a business and a career out of it, I don't really know her, I can't judge from a show, but if I would not like her in person, I would not mingle with her, as simply as that. 3 boys? Wooow. There is nothing wrong with cheap comfort food, any food is good as long is provides you with the calories you need and keeps you healthy. Thank you so much for sharing.

I have the same thing with winter, I actually hate winter. I've experienced a bout of depression so I know where you are coming from. I was on amatriptolene, sp? After 6 months I was back to normal. Chemical imbalance sorted. I have Diazapan for blue days, thankfully it's been a long time since I needed one. I just need to think positive in winter.

Russ
Oh that is tough. Hang on, you can make it work!

When I started high school (12/13 ish) I met a new friend, after about a few months I stayed over one night, I grew up with weet bix, covered in milk, EVERYDAY. I woke up to a world I never had seen before, my friends dad walked into the bedroom, and said, bacon n eggs on toast ok Russell?
Who has cooked breakfaste? People that have money. Hell I loved it being treated like a hotel guest. I didn't have to do the dishes either, I stayed there quite a bit. Mr and Mrs Harris only passed away in last 10 years. I learnt a lot from mr Harris.

Russ
Yeah, you reminded me of a friend of mine from a much much walthier family, I was probably 12-13-14 too, and she asked me to spend the NYE at her home, and they had salmon I think, and I had never before had at at that point, I did not think much of it, I mean I felt the obvious differences, like she would have blueberries on her Bday cake, I have never had blueberries up to 10 years ago, but more I cared was her behaviour, she eventually went into a strange religious sect, and her parents split, her parents were really friendly and nice allover, it was all fine, she married a guy from the same set, we lost touch long long time ago...I don't think it matters, as long as you are not hungry or deprived, you still get to become a great person...regardless...

Directly the benefit of growing up on a farm. We fed a 10-person family and not only did no one ever go hungry, there was more than enough, and it was good, fresh, homegrown food.

No money, though. My dad used to smear mud on the vehicle license plate because we couldn't always afford the registration when it came due. I remember getting made fun of at school because my school shoes had rubber bands around them to hold the soles on. :laugh:

In 9th grade (14yo, first year of high school), I took my own money and bought a pair of Nike sneakers/trainers/tenna shoes because I wasn't going to start off high school getting made fun of again.

$40US, which Google says is about $130 in today's money. I thought my dad was going to kill me. Not figuratively, but literally. He was so angry, he beat me nearly unconscious for throwing away money on shoes. Nobody made fun of me for my shoes, though! :laugh:

Always spoiled for food, though.
I do not agree with beating of children, not for any reason, just beating in general, it's for the MMA people, and that's it...but I like how you took initiative on your own...and did not mirror your father's behaviour into your own behavioud later in life...I had very limited clothing sources, and it was only my study abroad that I could start discovering what I like to wear and afford a little something up to date and modern...thank you for sharing...:)

I totally admire your mental strength. I have heard a lot of excellent podcasts with veterans like you in the last year or so, and I can only verbalize my deepest respect. I think brain fogging is really getting us nowhere, so thumbs up. My boyfriend is facing depression and anxiety as he faces neck surgery, and we shall see what comes out of there. I try to stay positive, as positive is the only way I can live work and function. I am so happy I have met you here.

It's not just a matter of having a positive attitude with me. I believe in exercising mental discipline, both over internal (self) and external influences on life. It is not good to allow those things to control what you do. You must control the situation. You must avoid being blindly reactive, but instead, be thoughtful of the problems that arise and respond to them with decisive actions to avoid being dragged down into conflict and other issues such as depression. It is not a matter of other people owing you and doing things for you. You do things for yourself and out of courtesy and good will, then do what you can for others in a positive light. But first, you free yourself of the manipulations and conflicts by making your own decisions. That is responsive mental discipline, instead of reactivity.

True. You cannot always avoid completely the hard influences on life, but you still make your own judgements and decisions for the better. You evolve good internal understanding and take a problem solving approach to everything. And for those tough issues that won't go away, time is the thing to use. Work toward the solution in time.

Surgery on the neck is a hard issue, but it is a problem that has to be faced, decisively. The doctors will advise and give options and you either just go with it - or you dig in and try to understand what is the issue and what are the possible solutions and make a choice. But do what must be done and let time be on your side. And above all - take stock in your spiritual and intellectual assets and choose to live with whatever health problems that remain on an ongoing basis with strength and determination to still enjoy life.

Good health to your boy friend and I hope all turns out well.

It's not just a matter of having a positive attitude with me. I believe in exercising mental discipline, both over internal (self) and external influences on life. It is not good to allow those things to control what you do. You must control the situation. You must avoid being blindly reactive, but instead, be thoughtful of the problems that arise and respond to them with decisive actions to avoid being dragged down into conflict and other issues such as depression. It is not a matter of other people owing you and doing things for you. You do things for yourself and out of courtesy and good will, then do what you can for others in a positive light. But first, you free yourself of the manipulations and conflicts by making your own decisions. That is responsive mental discipline, instead of reactivity.

True. You cannot always avoid completely the hard influences on life, but you still make your own judgements and decisions for the better. You evolve good internal understanding and take a problem solving approach to everything. And for those tough issues that won't go away, time is the thing to use. Work toward the solution in time.

Surgery on the neck is a hard issue, but it is a problem that has to be faced, decisively. The doctors will advise and give options and you either just go with it - or you dig in and try to understand what is the issue and what are the possible solutions and make a choice. But do what must be done and let time be on your side. And above all - take stock in your spiritual and intellectual assets and choose to live with whatever health problems that remain on an ongoing basis with strength and determination to still enjoy life.

Good health to your boy friend and I hope all turns out well.
Thank you so much. This is probably the best advice in a long time, I will be re-reading it several times and reflecting upon it. I am learning a lot about myself. We do not co-live, so the dynamics is a bit different than with the standard wife-husband. I have not even met his friends or family, although it has been one year and 4 months of dating, so he will be the only source of information pre-op and after-op...at the same time, I have my kid ( my ex-husband and I co parent the kid, so that works fine for now) and own parents, especially my Dad who is a cancer patient to take care of, and my work. I 'd like to think that I am problem solving oriented. We have had talks, but I am well aware that there are other options and choices too. In general, yes, I do make my own decisions and then learn, basically I learn the whole time. And time, yes, time shows a lot of perspectives. But is also very precious...I do wish him the best outcome and an improved health and enjoying life, if that is what we can. I like to think that there are incredible challenges and if determined, one can do well.

Thanks a lot, let us see what happens...

Why didn't I discover smoking meats sooner?
Upon reading this, I was thinking hmmmm...I wonder if I am missing on a language barrier...did he think of real food meats here or? I googled smoked meats...there was the "low and slow" that gave me a hint😉...I feel like that sometimes yes, you are right, we shall see😎...
However, back to food, I tasted a smoked salmon once from northern Germany, it was absolutely fantastic, tender, rich in flavour...and expensive... Do you prepare smoked fish or meat or other food? Must it be outdoors?

However, back to food, I tasted a smoked salmon once from northern Germany, it was absolutely fantastic, tender, rich in flavour...and expensive... Do you prepare smoked fish or meat or other food? Must it be outdoors?

Unless you have outdoor kitchen fan ventilation, then yes, unless you want your whole house to smell like smoke. Though I suppose you could probably get away with a smoking gun under a dome/pan since that requires such a small amount.

Upon reading this, I was thinking hmmmm...I wonder if I am missing on a language barrier...did he think of real food meats here or? I googled smoked meats...there was the "low and slow" that gave me a hint😉...I feel like that sometimes yes, you are right, we shall see😎...
I slow smoke meats in a reverse-flow w/water steamer cooker.
Pecan and hickory and cherry and apple woods.
About 15 minutes into smoking Tri Tip. Has another hour to go.
PqOoxZH.jpg

08a5ccc2-b142-455c-a537-a3e424619d73-jpeg.jpg

OR:

6f012719-fc06-4b08-8bd5-bd94e7888ad9-jpeg.jpg

Thank you for sharing. It looks awesome!!

BBQ in the US is interesting, as it is regional. Tri-tip is a California thing. In the Carolinas, it is pulled pork and whole hog. In Tennessee, it is ribs. Here in Texas, it's all about the beef brisket.

I didn't start smoking meats until I was in my 40s. So, I would also tell my young self to start sooner.

CD

BBQ in the US is interesting, as it is regional. Tri-tip is a California thing. In the Carolinas, it is pulled pork and whole hog. In Tennessee, it is ribs. Here in Texas, it's all about the beef brisket.

I didn't start smoking meats until I was in my 40s. So, I would also tell my young self to start sooner.

CD
Wow, I love hearing about local delicacies and cooking customs! There is so many differentiating nuances that makes it all so diverse! So much to choose from! I have been hearing about pulled pork a lot, and smoked ribs...your photos look fantastic.

Theirs a 100 Year old bar located in the high California desert. Same family has operated it for the past 70.

Thursday’s has been their bring-A-dish to share day for ever. “Pot luck” to the locals.

Once a month I bring my home made chili and smoked back ribs.

The pink glow on the ribs is from the pecan smoke. These ribs were smoked 2.5 hours at 225F and slow cooked an additional 4 hours at 185F.

Next visit I’ll add my cornbread to the visit.
A simple off the shelf box recipe but I add yellow cake mix, butter and agave syrup to the mix.

The town drunks say I’m a kitchen genius. Nope not at all - just a few tricky recipes and a love of socializing.

In front of the bar we sit and eat and listen to tunes played on my Can Ams sound system.
Wonderful people to meet from all over the world who stop by in their travels.

Attachments

• 2FC98672-9B25-4CEA-860C-D774F57C3815.jpeg
    2FC98672-9B25-4CEA-860C-D774F57C3815.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom