Recipe Asian Cole Slaw (Vegan)

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
10:28 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Typically, this will be a side.

You will usually find shredded carrot in recipes for Asian coleslaw, but I don’t care much for raw carrot, so I used daikon. Use what you like!

asian-cole-slaw-logo.jpg

What I adore about Asian coleslaw, even if someone adds in the carrot, is the fact that it has no mayonnaise. Mind you, I don’t mind mayonnaise — but slaw simply is elevated to the next level if the mayo is minimal or non-existent! Or maybe I’ve just been to too many fast food establishments in my childhood where sides with the hot dog were that thimbleful of bland mayo-choked coleslaw that usually tasted somewhat off, and were usually just tossed or simply ignored.

Prep Time: Will vary with knife skills, but say 15 minutes.
Cook Time: No Heat Involved!
Rest Time: Let the salad and the dressing meld for a few hours up to one day without the salad losing crispiness… Also seriously improves flavor and enjoyment!
Serves: About 4 as a side.
Leftovers?: Why not, say up to three days or so.
Cuisine: Asian.

ASIAN COLESLAW
The Salad Basics

• 1 cup shredded red cabbage
  • 2 cups shredded green cabbage
  • 1/4 cup shredded daikon radish, removing the peel (you can certainly use carrot instead, likewise removing the peel). Or, make it a mix.
  • The green parts of two scallions/green onions, chopped.

• Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • Optional bed of lettuce: Romaine, iceberg, Boston, butter…
  • Optional tomato slices from a fresh and flavorful tomato
  • Optional cucumber sliced into thin disks.
  • Optional flakes of cilantro (coriander leaf)
The Dressing

• 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds, toasted or not
  • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1.5 tablespoons avocado or grapeseed oil
  • 1.25 teaspoons tamari, gluten free soy sauce, or coconut aminos
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
To Prepare:

In a bowl, add the cabbages, daikon (carrot?), scallions, and salt and pepper. Mix.

In a smaller bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients together, taste and adjust to your personal taste buds. Coconut aminos (which will make the dish Paleo) are a bit sweeter than tamari or soy sauce. Make sure the sugar dissolves.

When ready to serve, add dressing and toss. You can serve now, or refrigerate a few hours until desired, allowing flavors to meld with the dressing a bit.

Plate servings over the optional lettuce, and use the tomato and/or cuke as décor around the outside, or atop of each serving. You may also dust the tomato with a hint of additional salt.

Serve! You can save the extra coleslaw undressed and without the optional sides for a few days, any extra dressing can be saved for a week or so, and if the dressing and the coleslaw mixed together is to be saved, that is good for two-three days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make something similar but with some peanut butter mixed with soy sauce and rice vinegar for the dressing. Not nearly as pretty as yours. I'll try this next time.

I make something similar but with some peanut butter mixed with soy sauce and rice vinegar for the dressing. Not nearly as pretty as yours. I'll try this next time.

I did a search on "peanut butter dressing" and saw your post. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

I used to work near this one Thai restaurant and they had lines wrapped around the corner during lunch and dinner. It was amazing. I have tried to duplicate the peanut dressing to no avail. Now, I live two hours away from there so no chance of visiting anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom