Recipe & Video Authentic Wiener Schnitzel - Veal Schnitzel Recipe

Pan is taken to be a type of Bread made in a pan.

Pan is taken to be a type of Bread made in a pan.

Ok - I don't know 'pan' as a term for bread. Of course there is the term 'pan bread' just as there is the term 'pan fried' or 'pan cakes' (pancakes) but 'pan' is not bread. Pan is the cooking container. Maybe 'pan' a name for a type of bread bread in the USA? If so I didn't know that, sorry. Maybe that is why I am puzzled?

We are off topic. Sorry!

Ok - I don't know 'pan' as a term for bread. Of course there is the term 'pan bread' just as there is the term 'pan fried' or 'pan cakes' (pancakes) but 'pan' is not bread. Pan is the cooking container. Maybe 'pan' a name for a type of bread bread in the USA? If so I didn't know that, sorry. Maybe that is why I am puzzled?

We are off topic. Sorry!
I think it's one of those things that works both ways, actually. Yeah, it's bread baked in a pan, to distinguish it from those artisanal freeform loaves, and it can be used as a name in itself.

We do have breads labeled "pan bread," and "wide pan bread," but IMO, it's more about marketing than anything else. It's just a fancy way of saying "yer everyday cheap supermarket sandwich bread, but now we can charge an extra dollar."

Yeah, it's bread baked in a pan, to distinguish it from those artisanal freeform loaves, and it can be used as a name in itself.

OK, thanks. In the UK if I said 'pan' it wouldn't be recognised as meaning a bread at all. If I said 'pan bread' it would probably mean what you say (bread cooked in a pan of some sort). It must be one of those UK/US language differences. I just couldn't find any citations/sources for use of the word 'pan' on its own to mean bread, except for in Japan!

Of course there is the French culinary term 'pané' which means to coat in breadcrumbs.

OK, thanks. In the UK if I said 'pan' it wouldn't be recognised as meaning a bread at all. If I said 'pan bread' it would probably mean what you say (bread cooked in a pan of some sort). It must be one of those UK/US language differences. I just couldn't find any citations/sources for use of the word 'pan' on its own to mean bread, except for in Japan!

Of course there is the French culinary term 'pané' which means to coat in breadcrumbs.
Oh, I agree..."pan" on its own would never be interpreted here as, "Oh, they mean bread."

I don't even think it's that common, or has been around that long here - to me, it seems more about promoting something as special or more than what it is. Dirt-cheap supermarket white bread is technically "pan bread," but it's only in the last few years that I've seen so-called fancy breads labeled as "pan bread," and it's usually some kind of specialty bread...or at least it thinks it is. :laugh:

Oh, I agree..."pan" on its own would never be interpreted here as, "Oh, they mean bread."

I don't even think it's that common, or has been around that long here - to me, it seems more about promoting something as special or more than what it is. Dirt-cheap supermarket white bread is technically "pan bread," but it's only in the last few years that I've seen so-called fancy breads labeled as "pan bread," and it's usually some kind of specialty bread...or at least it thinks it is. :laugh:

You guys are beating this thing to death in a thread about Wiener Schnitzel and all I was doing was relating why I would name a Veal dish "Veal Panchette", this in regard to the OP having used Veal for their Schnitzel.

The etymological evolution of language thrives on bastardizing terms like 'Pan' in relation to Bread. It's not a pathetic form of revisionism or breaking the rules. It just happens, has happened all through history and will continue to happen.

You guys are beating this thing to death in a thread about Wiener Schnitzel and all I was doing was relating why I would name a Veal dish "Veal Panchette", this in regard to the OP having used Veal for their Schnitzel.

True! I was having fun getting into the etymology. :D I agree about the evolution of words. I simply couldn't find any source or citation for the way you used the word pan to mean bread. Now, if you say you have decided to use the word pan to mean bread, I will accept that. It may well catch on!

And we are not far off the mark (or off topic), considering the French term pané means breaded - just like the Wiener Schnitzel. And in French the word for bread 'pain' is pronounced more or less like 'pan', although the 'n' is almost silent.

True! I was having fun getting into the etymology. :D I agree about the evolution of words. I simply couldn't find any source or citation for the way you used the word pan to mean bread. Now, if you say you have decided to use the word pan to mean bread, I will accept that. It may well catch on!

And we are not far off the mark (or off topic), considering the French term pané means breaded - just like the Wiener Schnitzel. And in French the word for bread 'pain' is pronounced more or less like 'pan', although the 'n' is almost silent.

Here in my neck of the woods, we have a Restaurant Chain called "La Panaderia" and their specialty is of course, Breads. I like in particular, their Soup Bread, where they cut out a cavity in a Round Bread and fill it with Soup. This is just one of many examples that play Pan as meaning Bread. La Panaderia means of course, Bread Bakery.

However, if you look up La Panaderia as a Spanish term, it means Bakery in general, ie. the use of Pans to Bake, Baking Pans.

It's really worth making at home, the only challenge is to find a nice piece of veal for a good price!
Mate it is easier and cheaper to buy veal here than beef. I made pane veal escalopes the other day. I have a few veal escalopes in the freezer so thats dinner sorted for tonight. This was Friday nights, the liquid on the surface is lemon juice which is all I need with paneed dishes.
1609746105697.png

Mate it is easier and cheaper to buy veal here than beef. I made pane veal escalopes the other day. I have a few veal escalopes in the freezer so thats dinner sorted for tonight. This was Friday nights, the liquid on the surface is lemon juice which is all I need with paneed dishes.
Veal is almost double the prize of the beef in the Netherlands! Bon appetit 😊

Back
Top Bottom