Recipe Avocado Omelette

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:57 AM
I chose this recipe because I was intrigued to see what happens if you replace an egg with half an avocado when making an omelette. Well, I messed up really because I tried to make the omelette in the way I was taught (by a French chef) which is to use a fork to drag the edges of the omelette to the middle as they 'frill', tilt and repeat and stop when the centre is barely set. This technique doesn't work for this recipe. I ended up with bits of omelette stuck to the pan and deep 'folds' on the top. My thoughts are that it needs to be cooked like a tortilla. Cook on one side and then place under the grill (broiler) to finish.

The verdict? Its not an omelette as I know it. It was very light in texture and more like a cross between a quiche filling and a soufflé. I wasn't best pleased with the colour which, because the egg yolks combined with green avocado turns a rather strange shade of sludgy green. Not a pretty dish. If I made this again I'd adapt it as a quiche filling and add loads of finely chopped green dill to the mixture to improve the colour.

Here is the recipe as published in 'Great Vegetarian Dishes of the World' by Sally & Lucian Berg (1967):

For each serving: 4 oz. avocado flesh, ripe or overripe—approximately half a medium size avocado—reduced to a purée. Then added, together with tsp. sea-salt, to 2 beaten eggs. Continue beating till smooth and frothy, and cook as for plain omelette in a lightly oiled pan. Let underside get golden, turn, and cook for a further minute only. Slide out on to a hot plate, sprinkle with fresh chopped dill or parsley and lemon juice, or serve with lemon wedges. Very light and delicately flavoured.

Just curious. Where do Yurripeans get their avocados? I'm guessing Spain or North Africa. We get ours from California and Mexico.

CD

Just curious. Where do Yurripeans get their avocados? I'm guessing Spain or North Africa. We get ours from California and Mexico.

CD

I'll go and look at the pack...

The pack I have from Aldi (which contained 2 avocados) is from the Dominican Republic. So a long way!

Here is what my on-line supermarket says:
Country of origin may vary between Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Israel, Peru, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, Mexico, Morocco, USA.

CD

Huge orchards in the north island here. Pretty certain we export as well. They are cheap as chips ATM, but were up to $12 each 4 months ago. People were breaking into orchards for the black market.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom