Recipe Baby beef aspic

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
5:35 AM
As a reminder, and educational basis, I followed this Croatian recipe: Hladetina od junetine i poriluka | Fini Recepti by Crochef. The reipe did not call for adding additional gelatine, besides the natural ones from the meat. So I did not add gelatine. Now looking back, it might have been better to do so, to firm it up a bit more, perhaps. I slightly modified, to be written below. I did not use leek as in the recipe.

Ingredients:
560 g baby beef knee, 490 g baby beef meat, fat and bones "for soup" as the package says
half a large onion
2 bay leaves (dry)
2 slices of celeriac (roughly 140 g)
1 fresh carrot (kept aside until after all is cooked)
salt (15+ g, I added salt to taste twice later, possibly 30 g total)
water

Method:

1. I washed the meat. Placed meat, onion, bay, celeriac, salt in a large pot. Filled with cold water.
  2. Slowly brought to cooking (mark 6 out of 9 at an el induction oven).
  3. Lowered heat to mark 4 and left it simmering for another 2 hours.
  4. Took out the meat parts, trimmed off fatty and other chewy parts, sliced the meat.
  5. Sifted the soup.
  6. Grated the fresh carrot and placed it at the bottom of the plastic box and the ceramic tray.
  7. Placed the meat, distributing it evenly. Meanwhile it cooled off.
  8. Poured the soup over all of that.
  9. Covered and placed in the refrigerator, for overnight.

The texture is not very firm, it is not easy to slice it, more a spooning needed. But the taste is really good. I possibly might have needed more meat and additional gelatine.

However, I am glad I cooked it, will bring it over to work. Kid liked the clear soup while it was still warm. It is surely full of nutrients. My Grandma used to make aspic from time to time. I do not recall ever making my own though, so this is a first.

It looks really good and I love the fact you rendered your own gelatine (even if it didn't set totally). Kudos! I'm assuming by 'baby beef' you mean veal? It certainly looks like veal.
Oh that is so nice of you, thanks! Yes, well, I discussed this briefly with my boyfriend over text but then we got too tired, apparently in Croatian there are 3 categories of the beef meat by age of the animal, the one I used called Junetina is from an animal aged 12-24 months.
The younger animals 6-12 months old are called Teletina. The animals older than 24 months are called govedina.
So I googled junetina, and it said baby beef, but I would totally give that to veal, I am sure you are right.

Oh that is so nice of you, thanks! Yes, well, I discussed this briefly with my boyfriend over text but then we got too tired, apparently in Croatian there are 3 categories of the beef meat by age of the animal, the one I used called Junetina is from an animal aged 12-24 months.
The younger animals 6-12 months old are called Teletina. The animals older than 24 months are called govedina.
So I googled junetina, and it said baby beef, but I would totally give that to veal, I am sure you are right.

Interesting - its all called veal here!

Yeah, 12-24 months is called baby beef or can be. Veal designation ends basically after 35 week.
I need a chart to put it into human terms. I want to know if I’m eating the beef version a baby, a toddler, an adolescent, a teen, a young adult, an adult, or an old geezer! :laugh:

I need a chart to put it into human terms. I want to know if I’m eating the beef version a baby, a toddler, an adolescent, a teen, a young adult, an adult, or an old geezer! :laugh:
Veal is much cheaper than beef in my neck of the woods, it's just not popular, people don't like to eat babies lol. Anyway Friday night I put on a 90 liter pot and made veal stock with veal bones that I normally leave over a flame for about 20 hours. It always goes solid when cooled down.

Back
Top Bottom