Recipe Bacon And Egg Pie

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
12:43 PM
bacon-and-egg-pie.jpeg

This pie is a tempting cross between a classic brekkie combo and the much-loved Aussie meat pie.

Ingredients
225g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour
265g (1 3/4 cups) self-raising flour
220g butter, chopped
125ml (1/2 cup) iced water
Olive oil spray
450g middle cut bacon rashers, excess fat trimmed
12 eggs
70g (1/3 cup) finely chopped semi-dried tomatoes
125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tablespoons water

Method
Step 1

Process half the plain flour, half the self-raising flour and half the butter in a food processor until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add half the iced water and process until the mixture just starts to form small clumps. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Repeat with the remaining plain flour, self-raising flour, butter and iced water, adding a little more iced water if necessary. Bring the mixtures together and knead until smooth. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour to rest.
Step 2
Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 7cm-deep, 26 x 17cm (base measurement) baking dish with oil. Divide dough into 2 portions, making 1 portion slightly larger. Roll large portion out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle large enough to line the base and sides of the dish. Line dish with pastry.
Step 3
Coarsely chop the bacon. Top the pastry with half the bacon. Crack half the eggs over bacon. Top eggs with remaining bacon. Crack remaining eggs over the bacon. Season with pepper. Top with tomato. Drizzle over cream.
Step 4
Roll out the remaining dough portion on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle large enough to cover the filling. Place pastry over the filling. Trim the edges. Pinch to seal. Combine egg yolk and water in a bowl.
Brush pie with egg yolk mixture. Cut a few small slits in the top of pastry. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/24104/bacon+and+egg+pie?ref=collections,savoury-pie-recipes

12 eggs? I think I'd have to try the smaller version if at all. I like to see these recipes but when I realise the time involved, I'd much rather have someone invite me to taste what they have made.

I am sure this would be delicious but 12 eggs is a bit much. I agree with winterybella, I would not be spending all that time in the kitchen. However, if you want to invite me over, I will bring my knife and fork,:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom