Recipe Baked Mac & Cheese

ttirb

Über Member
Local time
1:26 PM
My personal favorite thing to cook is baked macaroni and cheese. It's easy to make and I think it tastes delicious when it's reheated in the microwave the next day. Plus it's easy to make and filling. I use about a quarter pound or less of the following cheeses. American, cooper sharp and provolone. A box of any kind of noodles, I prefer elbow noodles but I'll use anything I have sitting around. A couple splashes of milk and a half stick of butter. I usually buy the cheese sliced thick and cut it up into little squares and mix it all in a bowl.
First I boil the water and cook the macaroni, I don't cook it until it's fully really soft because it cooks a little when you bake it.
Then I put a layer of macaroni on the bottom of either an aluminum pan or Pyrex. Followed by a generous layer of cheese. I repeat that step until I use all the macaroni.
I add the milk and butter and pop it in the oven at 350 degrees. When the cheese starts to melt I stir it every 5 minutes so the milk and the butter mix in.
I cook it for about 25-30 minutes, take it out and enjoy.
When reheating in the microwave I dampen a paper towel and cover the bowl, this insures the macaroni doesn't get crunchy.

What is your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe?

Reactions: L_B
This recipe looks so easy. My daughter and grandson live with me and he loves macaroni and cheese. I make it for him a couple of times a week. There is just something special about the taste of macaroni and cheese that has been baked in the oven. It develops a lovely crisp crust around the edges that we all fight over! And as you mentioned, it is so good reheated in the microwave. I have even formed it into patties and reheated it in a skillet with a bit of butter. That way it gets that lovely crust all around it. My mom used to make the best macaroni and cheese using Velveeta cheese and I make it using that occasionally. We also like to drain a can of Rotel tomatoes really good and mix that in it for a Mexican flavor.

Again this sounds like what we call macaroni pie over here, but reading this I think I am going to have to call mine elbow pie since I mostly use elbows. Around here everybody seems to have they way of putting it together but after I have cooked the elbows/macaroni, I rinse and add mustard, vegetarian cheese, grated onions, milk and all the right spices to mine for a great result. Some people like to add egg but I don't and a host of other things but I like to keep it simple.

My personal favorite thing to cook is baked macaroni and cheese. It's easy to make and I think it tastes delicious when it's reheated in the microwave the next day. Plus it's easy to make and filling. I use about a quarter pound or less of the following cheeses. American, cooper sharp and provolone. A box of any kind of noodles, I prefer elbow noodles but I'll use anything I have sitting around. A couple splashes of milk and a half stick of butter. I usually buy the cheese sliced thick and cut it up into little squares and mix it all in a bowl.
First I boil the water and cook the macaroni, I don't cook it until it's fully really soft because it cooks a little when you bake it.
Then I put a layer of macaroni on the bottom of either an aluminum pan or Pyrex. Followed by a generous layer of cheese. I repeat that step until I use all the macaroni.
I add the milk and butter and pop it in the oven at 350 degrees. When the cheese starts to melt I stir it every 5 minutes so the milk and the butter mix in.
I cook it for about 25-30 minutes, take it out and enjoy.
When reheating in the microwave I dampen a paper towel and cover the bowl, this insures the macaroni doesn't get crunchy.

What is your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe?
That recipie looks delicious but it would be expensive buying all the cheeses. One mac and cheese I made recently that I liked was a Civil War Mac and Cheese. It takes parmesan cheese and was super simple to make. Baking it in the onion was the method. Apparently parmesan was the cheese that was used during the civil war as it was easier to obtain. I enjoyed the dish and found the recipie online.

I do a macaroni dish like this but make the basic mix up and then chill slightly add egg yolks and put in a well greased dariole mould with grease proof in the base and cook in a Bain Marie and then it turns out moulded can serve with sundries tomtoes or roster Mediterranean vegetables or a good tomato sauce

Believe it or not I have never made macaroni and cheese. I know it is a very popular dish but it is just something I have never made. I have eaten it at other people's houses and really liked it but never tried to make it myself.
This recipe seems simple enough so I am thinking I just may give it a try. It sounds like it would be a great comfort food on one of those upcoming chilly days! I love cheese so there is no doubt that I would like this recipe.

That recipie looks delicious but it would be expensive buying all the cheeses. One mac and cheese I made recently that I liked was a Civil War Mac and Cheese. It takes parmesan cheese and was super simple to make. Baking it in the onion was the method. Apparently parmesan was the cheese that was used during the civil war as it was easier to obtain. I enjoyed the dish and found the recipie online.
Believe it or not it's under $10 dollars $15 max depending on where you live. I get a good 8-10 decent sized servings out of this recipe too.

If you have a Trader Joe's in the area where you live, you can purchase deli cheeses from there for pretty cheap. I noticed that their gourmet cheeses are much less expensive than the ones that you purchase from normal grocery stores. Even if you have to splurge on more expensive cheese, I find that I can stretch this meal out over a couple of days and so the cost can be split among a couple of days worth of meals.

If you have a Trader Joe's in the area where you live, you can purchase deli cheeses from there for pretty cheap. I noticed that their gourmet cheeses are much less expensive than the ones that you purchase from normal grocery stores. Even if you have to splurge on more expensive cheese, I find that I can stretch this meal out over a couple of days and so the cost can be split among a couple of days worth of meals.
We do have a TJ about 45 minutes away, sadly, I don't get their very often. It is a great store though I agree! I will have to investigate the "cheese" section!

My husband, the baby and I hung out with another couple we met a few weeks ago last night and cooked a big dinner at their house. I made my famous Mac and cheese and they loved it and made me write the recipe down for them. I let them have the leftovers too cause my husband was bragging about how great it was reheated. Boy am I regretting that I wish I had some for lunch for the baby and I.

My husband, the baby and I hung out with another couple we met a few weeks ago last night and cooked a big dinner at their house. I made my famous Mac and cheese and they loved it and made me write the recipe down for them. I let them have the leftovers too cause my husband was bragging about how great it was reheated. Boy am I regretting that I wish I had some for lunch for the baby and I.
Mac and cheese is one of those foods that tastes just as good, if not better when it is reheated the next day. I normally make a whole casserole dish of it so we have it around for a couple of days. It also freezes well so if we don't through the left overs, I will put the rest in the freezer so that we can have it again later. I love mac and cheese because it is very filling and cheap to make. Great food to have on hand when money is tight.

Back
Top Bottom