Recipe Baked Onions with Speck Ham and Aromatic Herbs

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:35 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

Onions are cheap and available in any season, easy to prepare and perfect as a side-dish as well as a second course. We have seasoned them with aromatic herbs and Italian Speck ham from South Tyrol.

Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 20-25 minutes

• White onions: 8
  • Garlic : 1 clove, peeled
  • Speck Ham: 50 g
  • Wild Fennel leaves: 1 sprig
  • Thyme, fresh: 1 sprig
  • Dried Oregano: a teaspoon
  • Sage: a couple of leaves
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO): 2 tbsp
  • Pecorino, grated: about a tablespoon
  • Salt and pepper: to taste

Method

Preheat the oven to 160° Fan-Oven / Gas Mark 4 / 350 F.

Mince Speck ham finely. Chop finely garlic clove along with wild fennel and thyme, add dried oregano and a pinch of salt and black pepper.

Clean and peel the onions, cut a cross on top of each onion and place them in a saucepan full of salted boiling water for about 6/7 minutes.

Grease the bottom of a baking dish and place the onions. Top each onion with a generous amount of garlic and herbs mixture, grated Pecorino, diced Speck ham and a drizzle of with olive oil.

Bake for about 20 minutes to 160° Fan-Oven / Gas Mark 4 / 350 F.

For a crisp surface place your dish on the top tray.

Allow the onions to cool at room temperature before serving.

I like the idea here and they look very pretty. How big are these onions? I'm pretty sure the average onion I get would not be cooked tender in the cooking times shown.

I like the idea here and they look very pretty. How big are these onions? I'm pretty sure the average onion I get would not be cooked tender in the cooking times shown.

My distraction (as usual!), I should have specified the size of the onions. I used onions about 8-9 cm in size. Having blanched them in boiling water beforehand and preheated the oven, they cooked for about 20 minutes. But as always, every oven (and every onion) has its time...

Back
Top Bottom