Baked or Fried? Calling All Tilapia Recipes!

Haha, thanks @winterybella I can never have too many recipes! I'm surprised @classic33 hasn't chimed in with a Guinness version yet :). I forgot, I think I used one of Rachel Ray's recipes before, somewhat like what @cupcakechef mentioned, parmesan encrusted tilapia or something like that, and it also came out delicious. I don't know what made me decide to bread (also in the cornmeal) the sliced roma tomatoes, but they were absolutely delicious. I sprinkled a tiny bit of lemon juice on the fish, and also used standard cocktail sauce, which I love.

I prefer my Tilapia bake although I also fry it up. We love fresh fish in our house so either way is good.

I did it with some mayo, parm cheese and some bread crumbs, I think. Can't find the recipe though. :headshake::stop:

I am not too crazy about baking any kind of fish although I would love the first option because I so love capers. Why not try cooking your Tilapia fillets with coconut milk? I think that would be a nice addition to your recipes.

Baking fish is often better & healthier than frying it. Yeah, I like fried fish also, but I mainly eat it baked, because I like it baked better than fried. :wink:

Last edited:
When I have this fish I prepare it day after day until we get tired. It's because it's so easy to prepare. It's been a month or so that I have not seen any in the shopping. Now, after all of this talk I have a craving although there is that info out there that suggest it's to be eaten in moderation having been compared to bacon I think.

Last night we had dinner in the hotel's buffet dining. In the seafood area, there was this tilapia filet. I was selecting prawns and fat crabs when this old man came and took 2 pieces of tilapia filet. He then submitted it to the griller. After grilling, he poured butter on the tilapia and sprinkled it with fried crushed garlic. He said that is a very good match with a mug of beer but since that is a buffet dinner, he would be eating those 2 pieces of tilapia with his Coke. I had wanted to order the same but got hold of myself. Since I had seen how it was done, we can make broiled tilapia at home.

In my country we have an abundance of tilapia and usually serve it fried as it is with a side of garlic rice, pickled papaya and mangoes for dessert. I like my tilapia fried with coconut oil, butter or olive oil with some spices like rosemary and thyme. The meat is good with some crunch with the skin-side on. A little white vinegar and soy sauce to dip is prevalent where I come from too.

Eating tilapia fried is the way to go in life for me. Most of the time eating doing some oven baking leaves little to be desired when it comes to fish. Eating it fried is the only way I would eat it to be honest.

I would probably go for deep fried tilapia if I had a deep fryer, mainly because tilapia is rather thin and shrinks up a lot when you cook it. Often when I buy it, it looks like a good sized portion, but once it's cooked it shrinks down to like two or three bites. At least some breading/batter would make it a bit more substantial and filling.

As for a substitute for capers, you could perhaps use sliced olives (and perhaps some sherry wine) - I guess that would be more of a Spanish type dish. Capers always reminded me of mini olives in terms of flavor, due to their brine-y taste.

You could also blacken the tilapia in a cast iron skillet with some butter and cajun seasoning.

The web site Food Wishes had a really interesting recipe for Sole fish (but you could easily swap it out for Tilapia) which was stuffed with a crab filling, then rolled up, and topped with a creamy sauce and baked.

Olives have been mentioned as a substitute for capers and I agree, green olives would be a great substitute for them. I'm always looking for good fish recipes that my family might enjoy. While I'm adventurous when it comes to food, my husband and son aren't so it's sometimes hard to find something they might like. Fortunately, tilapia is a fish we all like but I don't cook it often because I make it the same way which is simply pan fried. I'd have to agree as well that baking fish doesn't really do it for me either but with a good recipe I'm sure I'd convert!

Back
Top Bottom