Baking Disasters

I wouldn't have put this down as a baking disaster.
It was just so funny when I pulled it out of the oven. The good side was facing the glass, so I opened the door, reached in to pull it out, all the while thinking , "Wow, what a good-looking loa-"

Then I turned it around and saw that the top loaf had slid off the bottom loaf quite a bit.

It was sort of like walking into a room and seeing the back of a shapely woman with a narrow waist and a plump bottom, long legs and luxurious hair, and when she turns around to say hello, she's got a face like Ronnie Corbett. 😳

Did you stretch the dough when you put it in the pie pan?

If you have the room, putting the pie crust in the freezer for about 15 minutes helps prevent sag.

Did you stretch the dough when you put it in the pie pan?

If you have the room, putting the pie crust in the freezer for about 15 minutes helps prevent sag.
I do this every time I blind bake a store-bought crust.

The directions on the side of the box, for blind baking, don't say anything about possibly needing pie weights. They just say to throw it in the pan, fold the excess under, dock it, and bake.

Every <bleep>ing time, I look at it and say, "I really should use pie weights, but the box doesn't say so, and they should know, it's their crust." It's like I have some kind of mental block about it.

There's another crust left...I've written on the outside of the box, "PIE WEIGHTS, IDIOT!" I won't forget next time. :laugh:

Oh, you used a store bought crust. I thought you made it yourself, which is why I mentioned the dough being stretched. When you stretch the dough to get it to cover the pan properly, it quite often will shrink when baked. I don't really understand the why, as rolling it out big enough to fit the pie pan with some overhang versus not quite rolling out enough then finish with gently stretching the dough to fit makes, as they really are just different methods of stretching, but it does. Mom and grandma were right about that though.

When you stretch the dough to get it to cover the pan properly, it quite often will shrink when baked.

Maybe its because if you stretch it then its more likely to want to go back to where it was - like elastic. But if you roll it, the dough structure is more compacted so its less likely to contract. I haven't explained that very well! I always find short crust pastry shrinks a bit. That is why a lot of professional bakers (in the UK at least) bake it blind with an overhang and then trim it back to the edge of the pie dish.

Made a cake today, which I think is really more like a soufflé; the only ingredients are chocolate, butter, sugar, and (separated) eggs.

It's called a craggy chocolate cake, because when you get it out of the oven, it's nice and puffed up, but then it cools and falls and the top cracks open.

Well...I should have paid attention to my nose, because I could smell it starting to...let's say, char a bit, but it was well off the prescribed bake time, by a good 15 minutes, so I let it go another 10 minutes, and by that point, even I had to admit that my oven and the recipe didn't quite agree.

I pulled it out, and there were definitely some blistered black splotches, but not as bad as I thought.

After it cooled a while, I got to work with a knife and trimmed out the bad parts. Now it looks like a victim of "Friday The 13th Part XXIV: Someone's In The Kitchen With Jason," or maybe a cake that gave itself a COVID haircut. :laugh:

Here's the thing, though: I don't think it was intended to be like this, but it kind of worked out. The outside, to a depth of about 1/8" is rather dry, but it breaks off in big pieces, and they taste rather like light chocolate biscuits/cookies, but the middle is still nice and moist and gooey.

It's a Shrek cake - ugly as sin, but a heart of gold. :)

TastyReuben I’m still thinking of my Halloween menu and that crossover between Shrek and Jason sounds perfect
Yeah, I've got Halloween on my mind. It's October, so I usually watch a scary movie a day and post the title card so people can see how bad my taste in films is.

Bad lighting, but it's nighttime. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You can see how the top, overbaked a bit, comes right off, like a very light little cookie. Actually, the taste and texture aren't bad at all, so it's a testament to what's probably a very good recipe when done correctly. Tastes a lot like a fudgy brownie.

This also marks my first ever use of a springform pan. 👍🏻

Sounded nice, a recipe for puff pastry mince rolls by jus roll. But it didn't say the filling would spill that much.. :laugh:

They taste fine but half of my filling is glued to my baking sheet and they lost their shape .

Sounded nice, a recipe for puff pastry mince rolls by jus roll. But it didn't say the filling would spill that much.. :laugh:

They taste fine but half of my filling is glued to my baking sheet and they lost their shape .
View attachment 49124

View attachment 49124

And mincemeat filling burns rather badly...

Maybe it depends on the type of mincemeat used as I suppose it could vary in density depending on brand.

Back
Top Bottom