3 ounces balsamic vinegar
3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled for garnish
Chives, sliced for garnish

Directions:
  • Prepare the baked potatoes.
  • Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms (if the package you have purchased is not already sliced) into think 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices. Cut the onion in half from end to end. Remove the skin and discard. Place the onions cut side down and slice them lengthwise to desired thickness.
  • In a glass measuring cup, combine the balsamic vinegar and cornstarch. Whisk to blend the ingredients together. Set aside.
  • In a cast iron skillet or sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat until it is shimmering.
  • Add the onions and toss with the olive oil to coat. Using a wooden spoon, spread the ovens out evenly in the pan.
  • Lower the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
    If the onions begin to brown too quickly, lower the heat to medium-low as some stovetops cook faster and hotter than others. Sprinkle the onions with the sugar and stir.
  • Reduce heat to medium-low to low and continue to cook for an additional 20-30 minutes, stirring every 3 - 5 minutes. Stirring too often will not allow the onions to brown, but not stirring at all will cause them to burn.
  • Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and add the garlic and mushrooms. Turn the heat up to medium and sauté until they are tender and golden, about 5 - 7 minutes.
    Add the red wine to deglaze the pan, stirring and scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
  • Add the vinegar mixture to the pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium and cook until thick and syrupy. Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Serve mushroom mixture over baked potatoes.
  • Top with sliced chives and gorgonzola cheese crumbles.

http://www.goodlifeeats.com/2013/01...onion-and-mushroom-loaded-baked-potatoes.html

I am thinking if I can use the caramelized onions on my burger. From the looks of it the balsamic vinegar together with the syrupy consistency of the onions, they would make a yummy topping for my burgers.

Back
Top Bottom