Banana chips!

Do you ever use a 'Trail Mix' of some sort when needing a quick, healthy snack?

• Total voters

niemela23

Veteran
Local time
4:34 PM
Oh, precious and dear 'Trail-mix'. :)

And, by that term, as far as us hiking, fishing, hunting, snowboarding and swimming Canadians go... I mean a mixture of (we all have our own!) any of the following: dried fruits or veggies, seeds, small bits of 'sweet' (like chocolate or butterscotch chips), nuts, grains, crisps, etc. Many of the mixes I've encountered or made throughout my days have included the super tasty Banana-Chip (yes, I used capital letters there, lol) and I love them like the sun shines. If I haven't bought or made a good trail-mix in a while, I'll often start to crave just those 'nana-chips (maybe a need for potassium?) themselves... I've found myself on my way to our local 'Bulk-Barn' a few times now... specifically with them in mind. :P

So, I got Google all toasty warm and did a search. First hit, but... if it turns out, no more banana chips from the Barn for me (just a lot of all kinds of other things, lol)! Here it is (want to try it together?):

http://www.momables.com/homemade-banana-chips-recipe-baked/

Last edited:
Far too sweet for me. I don't snack on things, anyway. My family don't like trail mix either as they also find it far too sweet. My daughter sometimes buys some mixed seeds and fruit to snack on but no 'sweet bits'.

I expect @SatNavSaysStraightOn already makes banana chips (although maybe not as I seem to recall she doesn't like bananas) . She has a dehydrator. Worth investing in one if you are going to make your own dried fruit regularly. You can, of course, dry any kind of fruit using the oven or dehydrator method.

I expect @SatNavSaysStraightOn already makes banana chips (although maybe not as I seem to recall she doesn't like bananas) . She has a dehydrator. Worth investing in one if you are going to make your own dried fruit regularly. You can, of course, dry any kind of fruit using the oven or dehydrator method
No, I hate bananas so no banana chips here! :sick:

I do like to have the mix on hand when I am going for a hike but I never have banana chips in them. I don't like them. They are just too sweet for my liking. My trail mix consists more of nuts and seeds.

Far too sweet for me. I don't snack on things, anyway. My family don't like trail mix either as they also find it far too sweet. My daughter sometimes buys some mixed seeds and fruit to snack on but no 'sweet bits'.

I expect @SatNavSaysStraightOn already makes banana chips (although maybe not as I seem to recall she doesn't like bananas) . She has a dehydrator. Worth investing in one if you are going to make your own dried fruit regularly. You can, of course, dry any kind of fruit using the oven or dehydrator method.

Ah, my apologies! I may have misled any readers of my above post... I prefer my trail mix without the 'sweet bits' (aside from my below explanation), but over here in Ontario it seems that most of our 'generic' trail-mixes have either chocolate or butterscotch chips or other bits of sweet confections in them, so I chose to include them in my description also, assuming that most generic mixes outside of Canada probably featured them as well.

However, My personal and preferred pre-packages 'trail mix' (that I do carry on the trails, hehe!) over this way (we have a bunch of pre-made and packaged mixes with different names, 'hobo mix', 'mix and match mix', 'California mix', 'elves mix', etc. ) is a wonderful mix of: peanuts, almonds, cashews, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and either sultana or golden raisins, My 'treat-version' of that same trail mix that I'll sometimes make myself a special, customized bag of (at the Bulk Barn), consists of all of the previously mentioned ingredients, as well as: a few banana chips, dried, unsweetened cranberries, walnuts, unsalted pistachios in shell, and dried, unsweetened coconut flakes. :) A small amount of dried cranberries, banana chips, & some dried coconut throughout the bag of otherwise nutty protein, offers me just the right, modest amount of 'healthy-ISH' sweet flavor that I might be craving when a need-for-energy/'trail-mix' attack comes on, lol.

And, I know, eh? Poor bananas. They're SO under rated (health benefits AND taste-wise!), and they've always gotten a somewhat bad rap, it seems. I couldn't enjoy one until I was about 22 or 23. Now, I love banana chips, banana bread, cake, or muffins, and banana yogurt. :) Oh, and of course... one can't forget frozen, pureed and frozen again bananas (simple, healthy, delicious ice cream a person can't feel bad about, lol), or.... the famous BANANA CREAM PIE! :) Yummers. I hope maybe one day you'll find a way to like the silly yellow fruit, SatNavSaysStraightOn!

ous BANANA CREAM PIE! :) Yummers. I hope maybe one day you'll find a way to like the silly yellow fruit, SatNavSaysStraightOn!
Sadly it if a genetic problem that actually prevents me from eating them. I have something called a geographic tongue, only mine is chronic and permanent. Imagine bitng your tongue then having some lemon juice. It's like that for me most of the time. There is no treatment and nothing that can be done for the form of it I have. My parents have an awful lot to answer for! The only good news is that if I maintain a very high zinc content to my diet and avoid the foods that 'set it off' I can usually cope with it but when it is very bad i can't eat out drink anything at all, and I have even been known not to be able to drink water on one really bad occasion that hospitalised me because of a heat wave and me not being able to drink anything!

PS. Don't Google it if you are squeamish or due to eat any time soon! Some of the images are not pleasant and mine is of the worst kind.

Here in Jamaica, banana and plantain chips are a regular salt laden snack in plastic bags in the shelf. However, It doesn't really take a dehydrator to really make them, just more time consuming without it. I used to do it with bananas, yams, sweet potatos, potatoes, etc mix them up in a form of carb trail mix. Roasting them carefully so they don't burn dries them out. This was my preference since I hated the idea of deep frying it and I had no dehydrator. They are great without all the oily salty taste on them. To me, it doesn't even taste like bananas anymore when made this way.

Far too healthy. Try Kendal Mint Cake - that's the stuff to climb Everest with [although what it might do to your teeth in the process I'm not too sure !]

There's no such thing as "too healthy!" These banana chips sound like a great idea and I'd love to try making some. I also heard that bananas can be turned into something similar to ice cream. As for trail mix, I haven't had some in ages but we have raisins in our house now and I love them so much.

But I thought I read somewhere that trail mixes are so healthy after all. As much as I like the flavour of banana in my smoothies, bread etc, I don't know I'll kill for the chip. I've had plantain chips that have been good though. Some would say six is half a dozen.

I do like trail mix with the dried apricots and apple chips. I do like to eat bananas but I do not care for the dried banana chips.

I really love this banana chip idea because I have a ton of bananas right now. I went to Costco and got a 3 pound bag for 1.39, so I need to use them up. Also,
I am on WW, and fruits are 0 points. I can snack on these to my hearts content. I am going to make some today!

Sadly it if a genetic problem that actually prevents me from eating them. I have something called a geographic tongue, only mine is chronic and permanent. Imagine bitng your tongue then having some lemon juice. It's like that for me most of the time. There is no treatment and nothing that can be done for the form of it I have. My parents have an awful lot to answer for! The only good news is that if I maintain a very high zinc content to my diet and avoid the foods that 'set it off' I can usually cope with it but when it is very bad i can't eat out drink anything at all, and I have even been known not to be able to drink water on one really bad occasion that hospitalised me because of a heat wave and me not being able to drink anything!

PS. Don't Google it if you are squeamish or due to eat any time soon! Some of the images are not pleasant and mine is of the worst kind.

Wow! I wasn't even aware the condition existed, SatNavSaysStraightOn.

update on banana chips: I did make them and if you do, make sure you slice them VERY thinly and flip as the recipe says. Mine, although delicious were moister than traditional banana chips and did not harden. I chalk that up to not flipping and the slices being a bit too thick. Next time I will cut even thinner than the recipe says and make sure I flip them.

I have bought banana chips and dried pineapples a few times and I really like them. I could eat bananas all day if I let myself. I think I might try this recipe to see how well my family likes it.

Back
Top Bottom