Recipe Banana Peel pulled pork

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:31 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I know what you're thinking. She's totally lost it, completely, utterly bonkers...

You know I hate waste. I use as much of a vegetable or fruit as possible, but banana peel along with coffee grinds constitute at least ⅓ of my composting and hubby hates cutting up his banana peel. So I was intrigued when I saw this recipe in a collection of recipes for using up more of the veg & fruit...

And it didn't take long to have a banana peel unchopped in the container for vegetable waste.

The original recipe uses tomato ketchup, something we don't have so I substituted with a couple of cherry tomatoes and found some vinegar was needed...

And no, it didn't taste of banana.

Ingredients
1 banana peel
1 tsp oil
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp smokey paprika (I only have smokey sweet paprika so used that)
½ tsp brown sugar
3 small tomatoes halved or 3tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp vinegar (I used red wine but I think any will work)
Salt & pepper

Method
  1. The hardest part of this recipe is shredding the banana peel. If you choose to thinly slice it, ensure you go with the grain, not across it. So shred the banana peel using a fork or two. Discard the stem and very bottom.
  2. Heat the oil in a small pan over a medium heat, and fry the shredded banana peel for roughly 5 minutes, stirring frequently. halved using fresh tomatoes, add them as well.
  3. Add the salt, pepper, cumin, smokey paprika and sugar and continue to stir. Cook for another minute or two.
  4. Add the vinegar, stir and cook till it has evaporated. Keep cooking until the mixture is a rich red/brown colour.
  5. Serve on a bun or flatbread.

Edit: I've adapted this recipe from the Vegan Food & Living magazine February 2022, p83

Last edited:
I know what you're thinking. She's totally lost it, completely, utterly bonkers...

You know I hate waste. I use as much of a vegetable or fruit as possible, but banana peel along with coffee grinds constitute at least ⅓ of my composting and hubby hates cutting up his banana peel. So I was intrigued when I saw this recipe in a collection of recipes for using up more of the veg & fruit...

And it didn't take long to have a banana peel unchopped in the container for vegetable waste.

The original recipe uses tomato ketchup, something we don't have so I substituted with a couple of cherry tomatoes and found some vinegar was needed...

And no, it didn't taste of banana.

Ingredients
1 banana peel
1 tsp oil
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp smokey paprika (I only have smokey sweet paprika so used that)
½ tsp brown sugar
3 small tomatoes halved or 3tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp vinegar (I used red wine but I think any will work)
Salt & pepper

Method
  1. The hardest part of this recipe is shredding the banana peel. If you choose to thinly slice it, ensure you go with the grain, not across it. So shred the banana peel using a fork or two. Discard the stem and very bottom.
  2. Heat the oil in a small pan over a medium heat, and fry the shredded banana peel for roughly 5 minutes, stirring frequently. halved using fresh tomatoes, add them as well.
  3. Add the salt, pepper, cumin, smokey paprika and sugar and continue to stir. Cook for another minute or two.
  4. Add the vinegar, stir and cook till it has evaporated. Keep cooking until the mixture is a rich red/brown colour.
  5. Serve on a bun or flatbread.

Edit: I've adapted this recipe from the Vegan Food & Living magazine February 2022, p83
I used to think making meringue from canned bean slime was the most…we’ll say “inventive” thing I’d ever see in a vegan diet, but shredded banana peel pulled…peel has passed that by, I think. :eek:

Wonder if it's as good as the banana peel "bacon". Personally, it doesn't surprise me in the least and maybe it's better than the jackfruit fiber bomb, not that I'll ever judge the difference. cheers.

I've known for years that you are bananas :giggle:. But anyway, the one thing you didn't say is what it tasted like or whether the recipe worked. I know you have an allergy with regard to bananas (though possibly not to cooked skins?).

I've known for years that you are bananas :giggle:. But anyway, the one thing you didn't say is what it tasted like or whether the recipe worked. I know you have an allergy with regard to bananas (though possibly not to cooked skins?).
My husband told me that it tasted of the tomato, vinegar and spices. The banana peel just gave it texture. One thing that has surprised me though is the amount of protein in the dish which I can only assume is coming from the banana peel. The recipe online/in the magazine states 6g of protein!

It is one of those dishes that we'd have to be really hard done by to be doing it regularly. It's fine in taste, but it isn't the sort of thing we generally eat. But if you can do it this way this dish, I'm am left wondering if you could basically use it as a substitute in chilli con carne or something similar but you'd need 3 or 4 banana peels for that and I've no idea how you'd store them on a daily basis until you've collected that many.

I'll continue feeding then to my chooks for the moment. In winter especially, they'll kill each other to get a piece of banana peel. They love it.

There is no official nutritional data for the peel as of this date and the info below is for the flesh. A couple of sites are quoting protein at 6-9% of dry weight which doesn't really help but I suspect that it won't be much in the way of protein considering the percentage of calories that 6 grams equates to would be 24 and I'm suspecting the calories in the peel to be low. Just an educated guess. Cheers.

• Calories: 105
  • Fat: 0 grams
  • Carbohydrates: 27 grams
  • Sugar: 14 grams
  • Fiber: 3 grams
  • Protein: 1 gram
Health Benefits of Banana Peel

Last edited:
Talking of bananas and vegan applications, there is also banana blossom. I have a tin. Its said to to be a vegan substitute for fish.

Back
Top Bottom