Recipe Bangers on a Lance

cookieee

Local time
6:25 PM
My #5 is "The Best Barbecue on Earth" by Rick Browne, pub.2008. Another learning experience. Remember tho, this book was published 11 years ago, don't know if the numbers are close to today's numbers.

Bangers on a Lance

British sausages were called bangers during WW 2 because they contained so much water they often exploded when they were cooked. Today in England, sausages are featured in 49% of barbecue meals, ahead of beef burgers (38%) and poultry (37%). According to the website www.sausagefans.com, the first week of November is British Sausage Week in the UK; in England alone there are over 470 varieties to choose from.

juice of 1 lemon
6 TB. honey
3 TB tomato paste
1/2 cup apple cider
salt
freshly ground black pepper
8 large homemade or butcher shop pork link sausages
8 slices bacon, halved crosswise
16 large button or crimini mushrooms
1 TB. olive oil

1. Preheat a charcoal or gas grill to 375F.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the lemon, honey, tomato paste, cider, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is completely blended.
3. Pinch each sausage in the middle and twist to make 2 short sausages, then cut the two halves apart. Season with salt and pepper. Wrap each with a half slice of bacon and spear the sausages onto 4 skewers, alternating with the mushrooms.
4. Brush each skewer with the olive oil, place on the grill and cook over direct heat for 10 to 15 minutes, turning from time to time and basting with the sauce.
5. Transfer to a heated platter,drizzle with the remaining sauce, and serve on toothpicks. Serves 4 to 8 as an appetizer

Source: "The Best Barbecue on Earth" by Rick Browne, pub.2008.

Firstly, I love he title of the recipe. Secondly, I love British bangers. Thirdly? That sauce sounds to be rather good! :happy:

Bangers on a Lance

British sausages were called bangers during WW 2 because they contained so much water they often exploded when they were cooked. Today in England, sausages are featured in 49% of barbecue meals, ahead of beef burgers (38%) and poultry (37%). According to the website www.sausagefans.com, the first week of November is British Sausage Week in the UK; in England alone there are over 470 varieties to choose from.

I'd always wondered why they called them "bangers". Thanks for that bit o history!

Your welcome, at my age, I feel like I have gone back to school. !! lol

Back
Top Bottom