Banned in the U.S.A: 8 Foods You Can't Eat in America

1. Horse Meat - had it in Iceland, like cheap beef
2. Haggis - A thing of beauty, nothing to be squeamish about
3. Gooseberries - Meh!
4. Mechanically Separated (MS) Beef - Is mechanically separated chicken OK though?
5. Sassafras - had to Google it.
6. Foie Gras - had it once, too guilty to try it again, but it tasted amazing.
7. Unpasteurized Milk - warm from the cow on your cereal is the best
8. Fresh Ackee - not a great loss.

Foie gras is not banned in the U.S., although it may still be banned in California.

Unpasteurized milk is also not banned per se. It just has to be labeled as not for human consumption, but you can still buy it. When you buy it and take it home what you do with it is your business. We've bought it before to make cheese. Yes, Timenspace it tastes different, much creamier and richer.

Foie gras is not banned in the U.S., although it may still be banned in California.

Unpasteurized milk is also not banned per se. It just has to be labeled as not for human consumption, but you can still buy it. When you buy it and take it home what you do with it is your business. We've bought it before to make cheese. Yes, Timenspace it tastes different, much creamier and richer.
How fascinating. So the milk is skimmed prior to sale as boxed milk...I even heard stories some people could not drink raw milk as it was that much different...don't remember the source.

Sassafras is very interesting, googled while waiting for my commute train...had no idea...for beer, meat cure, wound healing, tea...colouring...

And it is a native tree to America.

And what about Gambo dish? Did it die out due to the sassafras ban?

How fascinating. So the milk is skimmed prior to sale as boxed milk...I even heard stories some people could not drink raw milk as it was that much different...don't remember the source.

Sassafras is very interesting, googled while waiting for my commute train...had no idea...for beer, meat cure, wound healing, tea...colouring...

View attachment 62122

And it is a native tree to America.

View attachment 62123

And what about Gambo dish? Did it die out due to the sassafras ban?
I was just talking about filè gumbo with Craig. Looked it up, the leaves do not contain the carcinogen so they can still be sold. BTW, not all gumbos use filè powder. Some use okra or just the roux as a thickener.

I was just talking about filè gumbo with Craig. Looked it up, the leaves do not contain the carcinogen so they can still be sold. BTW, not all gumbos use filè powder. Some use okra or just the roux as a thickener.
How extraordinary!
Modifications being useful to keep the dish alive...
All kinds of carcinogen factors come to mind...

Is it possible cats and dogs are considered pets and not food?
In the US, they are considered pets by the vast majority of people, but there are cultures and other countries that eat them.

We've had issues in South Florida from time to time of people getting caught selling horse meat, and also finding horses slaughtered in fields and cut up for meat.

In the US, they are considered pets by the vast majority of people, but there are cultures and other countries that eat them.

We've had issues in South Florida from time to time of people getting caught selling horse meat, and also finding horses slaughtered in fields and cut up for meat.
That is true.
Oh gracious...there is illegal in everything...
But what about an alligator?
We have talked about aligators as food...some people have them as pets, but they are edible, to some, too?

Possibly there are other standards and rules one can get by...

In regard to raw milk, it separates by itself if allowed to sit still into the heavier cream and regular milk part. My grandparents had a farm and my grandmother would sell milk/cream, fresh eggs when I was a young girl. I had forgotten how the milk separates and was amazed the first time we bought raw milk some 25 years or so later. My mother wouldn't use cream for anything because it reminded her of the raw milk she had to drink as a child.

The milk companies let it separate then do whatever they do to pasturize it and make it where it won't separate, homogenize it.

Back
Top Bottom