Banned in the U.S.A: 8 Foods You Can't Eat in America

They have a term for it here, I can't remember what it is, but you have to buy into a herd, like a herd co-op, then you're entitled to the raw milk, something along those lines, but it's not as simple as going to some market somewhere and picking up a carton of raw milk labeled "Not for human consumption."

It makes the news here occasionally. Apparently, Ohio is one of the stricter states, and every so often, they'll crack down on some family farm (frequently Amish) for selling raw milk.

Incidentally I read recently the mid west has more bars than 24/7 stores. !

Russ

"raw milk" regulation goes state by state.
so unless one cares to document / list the laws state by state, the "I heard..." the "I think..."
are meaningless.

example
"For now, these are the states that allow the sale of raw milk at retail stores: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Idaho, Maine, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Nevada, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, and Washington."

1. Horse Meat - Haven't had it, but I'd tryit.
2. Haggis - Love haggis.... if I ever return to Scotland, I'm having more.
3. Gooseberries - I thought I saw gooseberries at a farmer's market not that long ago?
4. Mechanically Separated (MS) Beef - I'm sure I have run into this. Not particularly whelmed.
5. Sassafras - Had sassafras tea as a kid but I think it got banned between then and the last couple decades.
6. Foie Gras - this is not banned everywhere in the US. I think it is in California. I finally tried it the last Christmas I actually got to celebrate with other people - 2019. It was MUCH better than I expected, since it looks rather like diseased liver.
7. Unpasteurized Milk - Another item that's only banned in certain states. I wanted to try some, but they were selling it by the gallon. I don't get through a QUART of milk of any sort without having to throw the remainder out.
8. Fresh Ackee - I'll have to google this one.

I will still use file powder when I make gumbo.

Mustard oil, I thought, was also banned, though I bought a bottle at an Indian grocery store about a year ago.

Shhhh...don’t tell the FDA if they start asking about me!
I picked up a bottle of mustard oil a few years back, for an Indian recipe. The label said "not for internal consumption." It had been sold with the other oils, so I used it anyway.

3. Gooseberries - I thought I saw gooseberries at a farmer's market not that long ago?

I just read that they were banned for many years because they can develop a fungus that is deadly to pine trees. It looks like the ban has recently been lifted in many states, however. It looks like the ban was about growing them, not selling them.

I picked up a bottle of mustard oil a few years back, for an Indian recipe. The label said "not for internal consumption." It had been sold with the other oils, so I used it anyway.

Same here in the UK. It is toxic though probably not in small amounts. Its the uric acid.

There is a brand sold for consumption in the UK which is a blend of veg oil and mustard oil and that's what I use.

It's not easy to make everything clean in the restaurant, the food quality could decrease while the cook is cleaning the fridge permanently. We tried to overcome this with basic rules for everything, but even that solution doesn't work, the bugs, mold etc. is just part of our life. When we clean everything in the kitchen on highest speed, we develop other illnesses or get new problems.
Stay healthy
Seriously? strange answer from someone in the business. It's not that hard to have a perfectly clean kitchen, it just has to be a priority, a big priority. I've also seen kitchens that I would be shutting the doors immediately until cleaned properly.

Back
Top Bottom