Recipe Bayou Pie (Cajun Cottage Pie)

caseydog

Local time
4:35 PM
Bayou Pie (Cajun Cottage Pie)

I took a basic cottage/shepherd's pie recipe, and made it cajun.

Ingredients

1 pound ground chicken
1/2 pound andouille sausage sliced
1/4 pound bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
4 stalks celery, chopped
16 OZ (approximately) chicken broth
1 TSP black pepper
1/2 TSP cayenne pepper (more or less to taste -- 1/4 cup for Yorky)
2 cups mashed potatoes
Chives/green onions -- garnish

Instructions

Brown bacon in a large skillet. Set aside. Sweat veggies in bacon fat. Set aside. Brown chicken. Set aside. Brown sausage.

Put everything back in the skillet. Add spices. Add broth. Simmer for about 15 minutes.

Take off heat, and let cool completely. Can be kept in the fridge overnight. This will keep the filling and mash from oozing together when assembled.

Make mashed potatoes. Mine just had butter added.

Pack meat mixture losely in a baking dish. Spread about 1/2 inch of mashed potatoes on top. Bake in oven at 350F/180C for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and bubbly inside.

Remove from oven, and let cool for 5 minutes. Garnish with chives and a sprinkle of cayenne or paprika.

BayouPie001.jpg

BayouPie002.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Yum! The only thing that could have made it better was adding some crawfish tail meat, but still looks quite tasty!

Yum! The only thing that could have made it better was adding some crawfish tail meat, but still looks quite tasty!

I thought about that or shrimp, and I have both in the freezer, but a proper cajun cook would never mix seafood and meat, like chicken and sausage.

CD

I thought about that or shrimp, and I have both in the freezer, but a proper cajun cook would never mix seafood and meat, like chicken and sausage.

CD
It actually happens all the time. My Cajun uncle and all of his family did it, and some of the dishes I've eaten at Commander's Palace (and other restaurants) in New Orleans had sausage and seafood. Some of the best jambalaya I've ever had was a blend of seafood, tasso, and andouille sausage. Chicken is less common, but I think it would still have been good.

It actually happens all the time. My Cajun uncle and all of his family did it, and some of the dishes I've eaten at Commander's Palace (and other restaurants) in New Orleans had sausage and seafood. Some of the best jambalaya I've ever had was a blend of seafood, tasso, and andouille sausage. Chicken is less common, but I think it would still have been good.

I forgot you have relatives in Port Arthur, so clearly I'm wrong... again.

If you want, you can put crawfish tails in your Bayou Pie.

CD

I forgot you have relatives in Port Arthur, so clearly I'm wrong... again.

If you want, you can put crawfish tails in your Bayou Pie.

CD
I'm not knocking your dish. I'd be thrilled to have that on my plate. With the addition of seafood it would be a lot of food for one person to eat, even over several meals.

I grew up in the panhandle of Florida and went to New Orleans about 40-50 times? Great food city.

I'm not knocking your dish. I'd be thrilled to have that on my plate. With the addition of seafood it would be a lot of food for one person to eat, even over several meals.

I grew up in the panhandle of Florida and went to New Orleans about 40-50 times? Great food city.

Like I said, I do have crawfish and shrimp in the freezer, but I didn't think they would work with chicken and sausage already in the dish. A seafood version of this dish would be an interesting possibility. People do mix seafood and sausage, but aside from a crawfish boil, I don't.

Tasso would have made a good substitute for bacon, but I ran out some time ago, and need to make more. I can't find it in any stores up here.

CD

Back
Top Bottom