Beef Roast

L_B

Veteran
Local time
1:03 PM
We are making a roast of beef for dinner tonight. I was just wondering how everybody prepares theirs and what spices they use.

That sounds like a great dinner plan. We make ours in a Crockpot and use brown gravy mix as the main seasoning for ours. We load the crock with cut vegetables and then lay the roast on top. We then add in some water, a couple packets of gravy mix, and then some spices. It comes out tasting marvelous and the meat falls off of a fork.

I use salt and pepper on my roast and I take a paring knife and cut slits into the roast. I stick slices of garlic into the meat to add a roasted garlic flavour. I usually roast it for 30 minutes at 425F and then drop the temperature down to 325F. I roast my beef until it's medium rare or about 135 -140F. I let it sit for 15 minutes before I carve it. I usually serve a roast with garlic mashed potatoes and baby carrots, gravy and horseradish.

Well, you know what? I consider myself a good cook. But can I cook roast beef? Yes I can slow cook beef. No problem. But traditional roast beef in the UK is served rare to medium. Its expensive to buy the right beef for this, so I have to say I haven't tried to do it very often. But every time I do it turns out looking perfect, but also perfectly chewy and tough! It may be to do with the quality of beef I buy, I suppose... or possibly my teeth.

I keep it relatively simple - a jar of beef gravy, some garlic pepper seasoning on the meat, and toss in some potatoes and other fresh veggies if I have them, and let it slow roast between 275 and 300 degrees in a tightly covered roast pan for around 4 hours or longer. By that time the meat is fall apart tender and all the fat and connective tissue has melted away. It also gets a nice dark brown on top as well. I only use fresh vegetables for it though, no frozen stuff, because they come out way too mushy once the roast is done cooking. Plus the frozen veggies water down the sauce too much.

If I am in more of a hurry, I will simply pressure cook the meat, gravy and garlic pepper seasoning together for about an hour and a half, then pop it under a broiler to thicken the sauce and brown the top of the meat. I steam the veggies separately.

I've tried some of the powdered pot roast seasoning packets, but didn't care for them as much since they had way too much rosemary and pepper in them.

Actually I grew up eating roast beef in some special occasion and my mom cooks it best! She had her own procedures how to prepare and cook it. We eat this together with steam green beans and potatoes with mayo and ketchup. Ever since I got married I have not tried it on my own. I hope sometime I can have the chance doing it.

Sirloin preferably or rib then topside ensure it is trimmed and fat barded onto it ,seal in salt and black pepper seal in hot oil ,you can cook on a trivet of veg but I don't bother and cook to just under desired degree ,and REST
Leave covered for 30 mins mins ,then carve correctly ,taking into consideration the grain of meat ,serve with seasonings such as horseradish or mustard ,no need to spoil a great raw product while cooking ,

I guess our beef roast is far different from the usual beef roast. We marinate the beef in a special mix of garlic, salt, crushed pepper corn, bay leaf, and available herbs. The oven tray is laced with margarine before placing the beef for roasting. The heat is medium (300 to 350 deg, not sure because our oven has no temperature, we just estimate the heat to medium). After 30 minutes, add the potatoes so it will be baked together with the beef. There is no gravy needed although if you have A1, it's just fine.

Thanks everybody for all the great ideas. They all sound fantastic. We just put our in the roaster with potatoes, carrots and onions and seasoned it with salt, pepper and garlic an it turned out great. It melts in your mouth. We will be having leftovers today. :)

Ingredients

1.5 kg quality topside of beef
2 medium onions
2 carrots
2 sticks celery
1 bulb garlic
1 small bunch fresh thyme, rosemary, bay or sage, or a mixture
olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Method

To prepare your beef:
Take your beef out of the fridge 30 minutes before it goes into the oven. Preheat your oven to 240°C/475°F/ gas 9. There’s no need to peel the vegetables – just give them a wash and roughly chop them. Break the garlic bulb into cloves, leaving them unpeeled.

Pile all the veg, garlic and herbs into the middle of a large roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil. Drizzle the beef with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper, rubbing it all over the meat. Place the beef on top of the vegetables.

To cook your beef:
Place the roasting tray in the preheated oven. Turn the heat down immediately to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 and cook for 1 hour for medium beef. If you prefer it medium-rare, take it out 5 to 10 minutes earlier. For well done, leave it in for another 10 to 15 minutes.

If you’re doing roast potatoes and veggies, this is the time to crack on with them – get them into the oven for the last 45 minutes of cooking. Baste the beef halfway through cooking and if the veg look dry, add a splash of water to the tray to stop them burning.

When the beef is cooked to your liking, take the tray out of the oven and transfer the beef to a board to rest for 15 minutes or so. Cover it with a layer of tinfoil and a tea towel and put aside while you make your gravy, horseradish sauce and Yorkshire puddings.

I am in culinary mourning ,I had a large function yesterday and came back to find my wife had put a 2 Kg piece of sirloin in the slow cooker,it was a waste of a top piece of meat and never cooked that well,not a good idea!:thumbsdown:

I am in culinary mourning ,I had a large function yesterday and came back to find my wife had put a 2 Kg piece of sirloin in the slow cooker,it was a waste of a top piece of meat and never cooked that well,not a good idea!:thumbsdown:

Oh not that is not good! It is really disappointing when I nice cut of meat like that gets wasted! Well at least she will know not to do that again! Life and learn.

That sounds like a great dinner plan. We make ours in a Crockpot and use brown gravy mix as the main seasoning for ours. We load the crock with cut vegetables and then lay the roast on top. We then add in some water, a couple packets of gravy mix, and then some spices. It comes out tasting marvelous and the meat falls off of a fork.

I agree with this. Crockpot is your best bet and it will come out fantastic! I suggest making your own gravy though. I use the meat juice to make the gravy along with some flour and a little bit of BBQ sauce.

I agree with this. Crockpot is your best bet and it will come out fantastic! I suggest making your own gravy though. I use the meat juice to make the gravy along with some flour and a little bit of BBQ sauce.

I don't own a crockpot but it is on my Christmas List for this year! :) Not sure I will get it but we'll see. I have never really thought of getting one before but since I joined this group there has been so many great recipes on here which are prepared in a crockpot.

Back
Top Bottom