Beef Stew Variations

CraigC

Guru
Local time
2:15 PM
My grandmother made beef stew using stewing beef (scraps and trimmings) with carrots, onions and baking potatoes. She made the "gravy" with ketchup, water and seasonings. The thickener was a flour and water slurry.

It wasn't until I was on my own that I discovered parsnips, turnips rutabagas and mushrooms can add a different flavor profile to my grandmother's basic recipe. I also discovered that changing the spices, herbs and liquid used made additional changes to the flavor.

If you make a family beef stew recipe, do you or have you made any variations to that recipe to make a completely different flavor profile?

If you make a family beef stew recipe, do you or have you made any variations to that recipe to make a completely different flavor profile?

I cannot say that I've made hardly any variations to my dear old mum's beef stew recipe. Maybe add a little garlic and a teaspoon of tomato puree but that's about it. However, I have varied it but under different names, viz, "boeuf bourguignon" (which I made for the first time last year) and "Hungarian goulash". I think that my mum's stew recipe should stay as it is and any variation be given another/different name.

I cannot say that I've made hardly any variations to my dear old mum's beef stew recipe. Maybe add a little garlic and a teaspoon of tomato puree but that's about it. However, I have varied it but under different names, viz, "boeuf bourguignon" (which I made for the first time last year) and "Hungarian goulash". I think that my mum's stew recipe should stay as it is and any variation be given another/different name.

Me too, except for a slight change with the times. When I was a kid, she used canned mushrooms because fresh mushrooms weren't always available and were pretty pricey when you did find them, a fairly small city, sort of in the middle of U.S. Now, I don't use anything but fresh mushrooms when I cook.

I'm not sure I've ever made the same one twice! I sort of improvise beef stew I suppose. But like @Yorky, I cooked a Goulash and Boeuf Bourguignon for two of the Cookalongs using traditional recipes as a starting point.

I'm inclined to use carrots, thyme, bay, garlic and whole shallots in beef stew quite a lot... and dumplings on top!

I'm not sure I've ever made the same one twice! I sort of improvise beef stew I suppose. But like @Yorky, I cooked a Goulash and Boeuf Bourguignon for two of the Cookalongs using traditional recipes as a starting point.

I'm inclined to use carrots, thyme, bay, garlic and whole shallots in beef stew quite a lot... and dumplings on top!

We often make corn cakes for stew and chili. Mine have chopped fresh jalapenos in the batter.

I'm not suggesting that you nix the family recipe, but have you created a new dish by switching things up?.

I no longer eat meat so often as I used to, but I do love a decent beef stew, be it a curry, a chilli, a gulasch, or just a normal one - by normal, I mean one with very little seasoning, but a good mix of any root vegetables I have to hand and plenty of potatoes and onions. I always cook stews made with supermarket meat in my slow cooker - their meat doesn't seem to have the flavour or texture I like otherwise - but find that fresh meat from the butchers cooks just as well in a saucepan for about a quarter of the time and tastes much better.

Back
Top Bottom