Beef Stew What is Your favorite recipie?

kgord

Veteran
Local time
7:49 PM
I have not made beef stew for ages. I think the last time I made it I made Julia Child's Beef Bourginone. It was delicious, but I was in the kitchen all day. I am not certain if I would make that again for that reason. I just found a recipe from All Recipes this time to make the stew. I think it looks easy and more practical. Although since the stewing beef was like 6 bucks a pack I only got one pack...so my beef stew is going to a bit more broth than beef!! Oh well!

Feather edge of beef ,whole shallots and button mushrooms ,red wine and thyme ,good beef or veal stock and a little tomato purée ,bouquet. Garni cook slowly at a low heat

Recently I went into the store to pick up some stew meat and I was really surprised at the price of it. There was a time not all the long ago that stew meat was pretty cheap, not anymore though. I don't really have a recipe, I throw the meat and veggie in a pot and season it and cook. I am interested in this post to see what others do.

I have not made beef stew for ages. I think the last time I made it I made Julia Child's Beef Bourginone. It was delicious, but I was in the kitchen all day. I am not certain if I would make that again for that reason. I just found a recipe from All Recipes this time to make the stew. I think it looks easy and more practical. Although since the stewing beef was like 6 bucks a pack I only got one pack...so my beef stew is going to a bit more broth than beef!! Oh well!
I have not made any for ages as well. I tend to only cook chicken or fish for a long time now. I'd be happy to see what this recipe looks like if you have it to hand. Beef stew was never a quick fix unless you were using a pressure cooker and I never used to like using one. I suspect the stew you referred to might be a lot different from the one with make here. Browning, fresh thyme, diced potatoes added late(for some), a little clove and all kinds of herbs and spices cooked up until nice of thick (for some) is what ours is like.

Belgian style.

Braise beef in a couple of bottles of Belgian dark ale with some onion, thyme, bay, splash of cider vinegar and a bit of brown sugar.

The trick is to put three or four slices of pain d'epices/kriudkoek (a spicy bread) on top, each smeared with a healthy dollop of Dijon mustard. As the stew cooks, the bread will dissolve into the broth and thicken it up.

I can't imagine taking all day to make a stew. It is the sort of meal I make when I just want to throw some things in a pot and leave it to cook itself for a few hours. I made a beef goulash last week using shin beef and this was really tender after hours of cooking. The other ingredients were an onion, a bell pepper, one fresh chilli, smoked paprika, 2 cloves of garlic, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and a dash of chilli powder. I served this with rice. Last month I made a beef, mushroom and ale stew using diced beef, an onion, a couple of sticks of celery, beef stock, mushrooms, a tin of ale, cornflour and served with herb dumplings.

Same as @L_B beef has become quite expensive as of late. It's hard to even find ground beef at a good price and yes, stew meat used to be a great price. I'd stock up because I make beef stew quite a bit in the winter. Mine is fairly simple, brown the meat then add onion, garlic, bay leaves among other things. Cook on a low boil for an hour and a half, then add your potatoes and carrots. It's simple but really good and you wouldn't believe how tender the meat gets in such a short time it seems. It's definitely my go-to recipe for beef stew. I posted the recipe in the Beef section actually.

Back
Top Bottom