Recipe Beef Vindaloo

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:35 AM
'Vindaloo' is known globally in its Anglo-Indian form as a staple on Indian restaurant menus where it is regarded as a hot curry. You can make Vindaloo with wine or with vinegar. Both will work very well. Here I used white wine. Make it as hot as you like, by adjusting the amount of chilli powder!

20170704_181702.jpg

Ingredients (serves 2)

375g stewing beef (in chunks)
1 medium onion chopped
oil or ghee for frying
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tbsp grated or crushed garlic
4 tbs white wine vinegar
1 tsp each of cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds.
1 tsp ground turmeric
1- 3 tsp hot chilli powder (more if you wish!)
1/2 a tin of tomatoes
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander and toasted white sesame seeds to garnish

Method
  1. In a large pan, gently fry the onion in the ghee or oil until caramelised. This will take at least 10 minutes.
  2. Add the ginger and garlic and 1 tbsp of water and cook gently until the raw ginger aroma disappears. Approx. 5 mins.
  3. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan on a high heat and add the whole spice seeds toasting them until they just start to smoke. Be careful not to burn them!
  4. Grind the seeds in a spice-grinder or with a pestle and mortar and add to the onion/ginger/garlic mixture.
  5. Add the ground spices, vinegar and tomatoes. Add more water if the curry paste becomes too thick. You need a ‘pouring cream’ consistency. Add salt, to taste. At this point you can liquidise the sauce if you want a smoother texture. Add salt to taste.
  6. Add the beef chunks, turning them in the mixture to ensure they are evenly coated.
  7. Simmer gently, partially covered, for an hour or until the beef is cooked. Add more water if the sauce thickens too much.
  8. Serve with coriander (cilantro) and white sesame seeds scattered over.

Last edited:
'Vindaloo' is known globally in its Anglo-Indian form as a staple on Indian restaurant menus where it is regarded as a hot curry. You can make Vindaloo with wine or with vinegar. Both will work very well. Here I used white wine. Make it as hot as you like, by adjusting the amount of chilli powder!

View attachment 9429

Ingredients (serves 2)

1 medium onion chopped
oil or ghee for frying
1 tbsp grated ginger
4 tbs white wine vinegar
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tin toms

Method

1. In a large pan, gently fry the onion in the ghee or oil until caramelised. This will take at least 10 minutes.
  2. Add the ginger and garlic and 1 tbsp of water and cook gently until the raw ginger aroma disappears. Approx. 5 mins.
  3. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan on a high heat and add the whole spice seeds toasting them until they just start to smoke. Be careful not to burn them!
  4. Grind the seeds in a spice-grinder or with a pestle and mortar and add to the onion/ginger/garlic mixture. :unsure:
  5. Add the ground spices, vinegar and tomatoes. Add more water if the curry paste becomes too thick. You need a ‘pouring cream’ consistency. Add salt, to taste. At this point you can liquidise the sauce if you want a smoother texture.
  6. Add the beef chunks, turning them in the mixture to ensure they are evenly coated.
  7. Simmer gently, partially covered, for an hour or until the beef is cooked. Add more water if the sauce thickens too much.
I am going to try this i have never tried to make a vindaloo before i have everything i need for it...would it be ok to use white wine vinegar:unsure:
P1000888.JPG

I had this for dinner tonight (or rather half of it :laugh:) with a portion of rice, some yogurt and 2 small chapattis, and found it very filling. It was delicious.

P.S. I used apple cider vinegar.

I love it when people try out recipes posted on the forum! Did you take a snap?

I just edited the recipe to include 'add salt to taste' - I often forget that. I know you don't use much salt @Elawin but I do!

I didn't use any salt at all! I think there was maybe enough natural salt in there for me, because I can taste it. I did have to put some extra water in it as well to stop it getting dry, but that may be to do with my cooker rather than your recipe. I did cook it for a little longer too, as I like my meat to melt in my mouth.

Not as pretty as your pic, but here it is!

Beef vindaloo.jpg

Yes you do need to add water to stop it drying out - I think I said that in recipe. I use a heat mat on the gas - but its hard to get a low enough heat. It would work in a slow-cooker. I am now wondering if I should amend 'an hour or until beef is cooked'. I think my beef took at least an hour and three quarters.

Yes you do need to add water to stop it drying out - I think I said that in recipe. I use a heat mat on the gas - but its hard to get a low enough heat. It would work in a slow-cooker. I am now wondering if I should amend 'an hour or until beef is cooked'. I think my beef took at least an hour and three quarters.
Mine was on the go for an hour and twenty minutes or so before I cooked the rice. I don't have a heat mat, but I cooked the onion and spices on setting 2 on my ceramic hob, turning it down to setting 1 just after I put the meat in, letting it cool a bit before putting the lid on. I was going to cook it in the slow cooker last night, but I was tired after taking the mutt for a long walk earlier in the day. I usually find I have to adjust the amount of spices as well if I cook it that way. Instead I cooked it exactly as you said, using 3 tsps. of hot chilli powder. I didn't have any fresh coriander, so I popped some dry coriander in it a couple of minutes before I dished it up, and garnished it with some fresh parsley as well as the sesame seeds. The other half is going in the fridge for tomorrow or the day after - it should have matured nicely :giggle:

View attachment 9429

Ingredients (serves 2)

1 medium onion chopped
oil or ghee for frying
1 tbsp grated ginger
4 tbs white wine vinegar
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tin toms
Salt to taste

Method

4. Grind the seeds in a spice-grinder or with a pestle and mortar and add to the onion/ginger/garlic mixture.
  5. Add the ground spices, vinegar and tomatoes. Add more water if the curry paste becomes too thick. You need a ‘pouring cream’ consistency. Add salt, to taste. At this point you can liquidise the sauce if you want a smoother texture. Add salt to taste.
At this point you can liquidise the sauce if you want a smoother texture....can i ask if you liquidised your paste or just left it as it was :unsure: i am trying this tomorrow will post results

Back
Top Bottom