Recipe Beet & celery soup

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
10:03 AM
Ingredients:
200 g celery root, peeled, chopped roughly (the soup will be purreed, so it does not matter how you cut the celery)
ca 150 g, for me it was 1 medium sized beet, 1 small beet (peeled, chopped roughly, the soup will be purreed)
50 ml plain tomato purree (store bought, but of course, you can use homemade)
1/4 of a middle sized onion, sliced (ca 50 g, if you want, you could use more, but I went very light on any stronger flavours, to accomodate my parents current needs)
1 g ground coriander ( I went very light on spices, as I intended to share the soup with my parents, but the quantity was not sufficient, so other soup for them)
3 g onion powder
salt to taste (3-4 g for me)
1 tablespoon cooking oil (whichever you prefer to use, I used sunflower oil, just because my parents are not used to olive oil in soups or in general)
30 g Tiny pasta (any pasta of your choice), I had letter shaped mini pasta (for soups, the letters are about 5mm long and cook very quickly)
300 ml Boiling water

Method:
Saute the onion, the celery root, beet on a tiny bit of oil. The celery releases an enchanting aroma at this stage.
Add salt, coriander, onion powder. Stirr.
Add boiling water. Allow the vegetables to cook until tender.
Purree.
Bring back to boil, add tomato purree. Stirr. After a few minutes, add pasta (or not, you can totally avoid pasta if you choose so).

Serve and enjoy. This soup tastes good both hot and cold, at least to me. It is very light, and I enjoy the mixture of tastes, and particularly the overwhelming but still subtle celery taste and aroma. The beet and tomato play wildly well with each other, I did not really expect them to, but they do. The colour is lovely, too.

It really is super simple. Not many photos either. I had an additional photo of the soup in the pot, that I erased. So it is only the presentation photo and the photo served with Krainer sausage and barley/lentils stews.

Haa, this soup is like a yummier version of borsch/-t!
I looove borschtsch! I forgot which other ingredients does the original borschtsch have...although there are probably 134 original recipes differing from each other...will google.
Oh there is apparently potatoes, red cabbage, onion, carrot, as well as beef or pork stock, meat cubes in some of those, I do remember the cream on top...

Beetroot has an affinity with anise flavours and celery root really has that. This soup takes borsht to a new level. I like the idea of it either hot or cold. I'm assuming you mean 'celeriac' by celery root?

Celeriac looks thus:

32524.png

Last edited:
Beetroot has an affinity with anise flavours and celery root really has that. This soup takes borsht to a new level. I like the idea of it either hot or cold. I'm assuming you mean 'celeriac' by celery root?

Celeriac looks thus:

View attachment 79506
Thank you. Oh yes celeriac,yes. I will memorize to use the correct naming now.

I have been reflecting on your remark about the annisy flavour, as I was eating the last portion of the soup,and I logged in just to say how eye opening it was to me. It is a whole new perspective of how to look at flavours. It reminds me of perfume analysis, with bases and layers. Amazing. I will be looking at ingredients with new knowledge.
And understanding pairing, not just intuitively doing so.
Thank you once more for the remark.

Back
Top Bottom