Beginner Bread Question

beasleym1989

Veteran
Local time
4:13 AM
I want to make some jalapeno cheddar bread for my boyfriend to make sandwiches out of for work. He likes the shape of the round loaves that you can find at HyVee or WalMart. Are these just made in a round cake pan or are they freeform? Or is there an actual round bread pan out there?

Does the round loaf have vertical sides to it? If it does then it had been done in a round cake tin, but in all likelihood I expect your answer is no, so they will just be freeform I expect.

Like this (though probably taller!)

DSC_0103.JPG

Yes, this exactly except taller! Thank you for the help. Making his bread myself will save us a lot of money in the long run.

Have you made bread before?

I have made my own cinnamon roll dough before and then apple breads and zucchini breads, but no, never any type of bread like this. I know bread is a sort of science and I'm okay with failing a couple of times before getting it right. Any advice?

I have made my own cinnamon roll dough before and then apple breads and zucchini breads, but no, never any type of bread like this. I know bread is a sort of science and I'm okay with failing a couple of times before getting it right. Any advice?
Both @SatNavSaysStraightOn and I make a lot of bread. If you can post the recipe you intend to use, I'm sure we can provide a few tips. :happy:

I think I'm going to try one of the no-knead dutch oven recipes. They seem pretty straight-forward, but you'll hear from me on Monday if it was an epic fail and then maybe you guys can help me figure out what I did wrong.

I now make all of our bread and have some for nearly a year! It is wonderful fun if a little tiring at times to say the least!
I think its great fun too. You never quite know how it will turn out because its an organic process. I don't make all the bread we have because sometimes we like standard white soft sliced bread too, for certain purposes! I usually make 2 or 3 loaves per week; sometimes rye bread or wholemeal or mixed grain. Sometimes French rustic style white. But, as I think you know @SatNavSaysStraightOn, I've yet to venture into sour dough territory. :)

I think I'm going to try one of the no-knead dutch oven recipes. They seem pretty straight-forward, but you'll hear from me on Monday if it was an epic fail and then maybe you guys can help me figure out what I did wrong.
I've been hearing about no-knead dutch oven recipes for a while. I've never tried it! If it works out, please post you recipe.

Yes, this exactly except taller! Thank you for the help. Making his bread myself will save us a lot of money in the long run.
I was thinking about what you said about saving money. I tried to work out what my bread cost to make and compared it to good supermarket bread (not the very cheapest). I'm not sure it does work out cheaper if you take account of everything. What do you think @SatNavSaysStraightOn?

Of course, that isn't a reason not to do it!

I was thinking about what you said about saving money. I tried to work out what my bread cost to make and compared it to good supermarket bread (not the very cheapest). I'm not sure it does work out cheaper if you take account of everything. What do you think @SatNavSaysStraightOn?

For me, making proper sourdough, it does work out cheaper even when I have to purchase the flour from a supermarket in 1.5kg bags. I try to get larger 5kg or even 10kg bags for the bulk flour which works out much cheaper. But proper sourdough, not the stuff from supermarkets which can have anything including yeast added to it, is expensive and would cost £3 or more for a very small loaf. I can make 3 large leaves a week for less than that using only flour, mineral water and nothing else!

I've really got back into breadmaking recently and I now make about 1 or 2 loaves per week - though I do cheat and use the mixer to do the kneading for me. Practice seems to be paying off though....my bread is getting more and a much better texture than anything I've produced before. I worked out the other week that each 500g loaf of bread costs me 64p + electricity (which I couldn't be bothered to work out). So its definitely not cheaper than supermarket own brand sliced bread, but probably is cheaper than the "in store bakery" breads - plus I know exactly what's going into my bread...or more to the point, what's NOT going into it!

@beasleym1989 I'd love to see your jalapeno cheddar bread recipe...that sounds absolutely delicious

It definitely wouldn't be cheaper than loaves of standard supermarket bread, but the jalapeno cheddar, rosemary herb, and other artisan style loaves from the in store bakeries run about $4.99-$5.99 a loaf and that is what I am trying to make for less.

@MrsDangermouse I plan on making it tomorrow and not sure what recipe I'm going with yet. I have found a couple, but need to read the reviews on them to see what problems/successes other people have had with them. I will post the recipe on Monday.

The breads turned out amazing guys! I did a jalapeno cheddar loaf and a rosemary herb loaf. The flavor was awesome, but the one area that could be improved is that it felt a little heavy. I like when the inside is airy. What could I do to remedy this? I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I think I remember it. This was the base to each recipe and then I added the jalapeno and cheddar afterwards and did the same with the rosemary and garlic.

3c Bread Flour
1/2 tsp yeast
1-3/4 tsp salt
1-1/2c warm water

It had me mix the dry ingredients and then add the warm water and let it set out overnight. Then when I got up I went and shaped the dough into a ball and let it set another hour while I waited for the dutch oven to warm up. Then I baked each loaf for 40-45 minutes.

All the recipes that I looked into claimed that the no-knead dutch oven recipe would make for an airy bread, but each recipe had a slight variation so I wasn't sure which one to pick. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom