Best Vegan Egg Substitute in Cookies?

roxybeme1997

Local time
7:13 AM
I just tried out the vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe in this article last night: Save Money with DIY Christmas Gifts That Don't Suck

It was pretty tasty! But I'm wondering, when you make a cookie recipe, what egg substitute do you use?

This recipe used a flaxseed "egg." Are there a bunch of safe egg substitutes that always work for cookies? I'm trying to learn what the HEALTHIEST ones are.

I just tried out the vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe in this article last night: Save Money with DIY Christmas Gifts That Don't Suck

It was pretty tasty! But I'm wondering, when you make a cookie recipe, what egg substitute do you use?

This recipe used a flaxseed "egg." Are there a bunch of safe egg substitutes that always work for cookies? I'm trying to learn what the HEALTHIEST ones are.

I’m not vegan although sometimes I prepare something vegan just for a change of my eating habits, I like it.
My egg subs in cookies/cakes are: corn flour, rice flour, banana and acquafaba (acquafaba is the tinned chickpea water, but you can also get it when you cook dried chickpeas)
Hope this helps!

I've used banana. Less successful with aquafaba and flax seed but I've seen great results from others' baking. I must practice.

I've got a great recipe for a chocolate cake that used vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. I must fish that out.

I have successfully used flaxseed without issue. It does bind just like egg and it is a healthy substitute. Flax seed (linseed) is a good source of omega oils and often found in vegan omega oil supplements. So it is what I go to when I'm trying out new vegan options and am looking for a healthy substitution.

Aquafaba is also a good alternative but it's best used from chickpeas (it is actually a general name used to refer to any cooked bean water but is best used from a tinned source for some reason). I've had less luck with this in baking, though often empty the tin and contents into stews our casseroles and you can't tell the difference.

There are artifical eggs replacers that are vegan but I have never used them. I'm not one for pre-made stuff out of packets. It just isn't how I was brought up (by my grandparents). I generally cook everything from scratch, plus these ore-made packets of well anything, Barry widely from country to country add I have found out in my travels (I'm a Brit now living in SE Australia).

Chickpea water?! Now I have heard everything, haha. Thanks for these helpful responses!

Chickpea water?! Now I have heard everything, haha. Thanks for these helpful responses!
It's correct. Amazing as it sounds, it will beat/whisk together to form a froth/foam similar to that of egg whites and is used to make vegan meringue because it has very little flavoring or colour when it comes from chickpeas (or any white bean water) . From kidney beans or other coloured beans there is more flavour from the bean and colouring that will tint the biscuits/cookies or meringue if making that from it.

It's correct. Amazing as it sounds, it will beat/whisk together to form a froth/foam similar to that of egg whites and is used to make vegan meringue because it has very little flavoring or colour when it comes from chickpeas (or any white bean water) . From kidney beans or other coloured beans there is more flavour from the bean and colouring that will tint the biscuits/cookies or meringue if making that from it.

And of course, vegan mayonnaise:

Recipe - Vegan Basil Mayonnaise

Back
Top Bottom