Beyond Meat aims to quiet the 'noise' about their ingredients.

garlichead

Über Member
Local time
12:59 PM
There's been a grass roots attempt over the years for a more natural diet consuming food that actually looks like the product your consuming, minimally processed with farm to table leading the way. Another grass roots initiative is to consume less animal products in general for health reasons. The elephant in the room for plant based alternatives is the money making products for big Agra and the Food giants that provide us with those alternatives. The big cash profits aren't in selling and advertising potatoes and apples it's in processed foods based in plant material and the new ones lately are meat alternatives like Beyond Meat. The diet industry, big Agra and the food giants like Nestle and Unilever will be the winners, and not your local farmers market. Your thoughts please.

Beyond Meat aims to quiet the ‘noise’ about the ingredients in its plant-based foods

There's been a grass roots attempt over the years for a more natural diet consuming food that actually looks like the product your consuming, minimally processed with farm to table leading the way. Another grass roots initiative is to consume less animal products in general for health reasons. The elephant in the room for plant based alternatives is the money making products for big Agra and the Food giants that provide us with those alternatives. The big cash profits aren't in selling and advertising potatoes and apples it's in processed foods based in plant material and the new ones lately are meat alternatives like Beyond Meat. The diet industry, big Agra and the food giants like Nestle and Unilever will be the winners, and not your local farmers market. Your thoughts please.

Beyond Meat aims to quiet the ‘noise’ about the ingredients in its plant-based foods
For things like this to become main stream they will have to become more affordable and practical for every day use..Right now, the biggest claim they have is what they aren't....once you look past the fact that they aren't meat, read the ingredients, start to calculate their effect on our bodies and our environment, the benifits are neglegable...I'd eat it, simply as another food source, just to support and try something new/different, but I can't get past paying more for something that is no better, IHMO...sodium is high, also..I don't salt my meat too much any more,.

For things like this to become main stream they will have to become more affordable and practical for every day use..Right now, the biggest claim they have is what they aren't....once you look past the fact that they aren't meat, read the ingredients, start to calculate their effect on our bodies and our environment, the benifits are neglegable...I'd eat it, simply as another food source, just to support and try something new/different, but I can't get past paying more for something that is no better, IHMO...sodium is high, also..I don't salt my meat too much any more,.
I've tried them and if your a vegetarian and use to meat substitutes I suspect they're more palatable, but damn there nasty for comparison purposes when comparing to animal protein made at home.

In the US it is very difficult to get good nutrition without meat. The livestock are given comprehensive supplements, which we subsequently eat.

You CAN do it on veggies but you need a very diverse set, and I recommend that at least some are imported.

T

In the US it is very difficult to get good nutrition without meat. The livestock are given comprehensive supplements, which we subsequently eat.

You CAN do it on veggies but you need a very diverse set, and I recommend that at least some are imported.

T
It's pretty easy if your a lacto-ovo vegetarian, otherwise getting the proper nutrition to thrive without supplementation is pretty much impossible. Understanding and getting those requirements are also based in knowledge and not sure if most vegans for example do the 'right' research that's required.

Anyhoo, a lacto-ovo could easily use egg/egg white and cheese for a binder and using ingredients that are found in the veg section as opposed to using a grain for the bulk of the burger.

I've made many vegetarian burgers as a chef and it's not that difficult. I use mushrooms, which is a no brainer considering the umami. I always add oyster mushrooms to the mix because they kinda meld and become sticky when cooked. Julienne onion which I cook first in olive oil becomes again sticky and the longer strands of onion become tangled and help hold the burger together. I also take the kernels off the corn put them in a food processor and puree then in a pan and cook until most of the moisture is removed and you end up with a kinda paste which helps hold the burger together. I also add some kernels that I cook over a flame to get some charring. Add some herbs and spice for extra flavour. Spinach is also fab in a burger, cooked and rung out. Blend all ingredients together then add a good melting cheese, normally grated gruyere and an egg. On a sesame brioche bun with the works. :happy:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom