Recipe Bhatura (Deep-fried Yoghurt bread)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
4:02 PM
Ingredients:
(Makes 6-8 bhatura)
250 gms all purpose flour (or a mixture of all purpose and wholemeal)
1 tsp salt
2 tsps ghee
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried yeast OR bicarbonate of soda
100 gms natural yoghurt
4 Tbsps warm water ( a little more if necessary)
Oil for deep-frying

Method:
  • Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix together with your fingers, until the dough pulls away from the edges. Add a little more water if necessary.,
  • Knead the dough for about 5-6 minutes, until soft and silky.
  • Return to the bowl, cover and leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour.
  • Remove the dough from the bowl (it should have doubled in size) and beat it down. Roll into a sausage shape.
  • Pull a ping-pong ball sized piece from the "sausage" and roll out on a floured surface, until you have a disc about 4-5 inches in diameter and 1/8th inch thick.
  • Heat the oil to 375º and slide the bhatura into the oil. The bread will sink and then immediately rise to the surface.
  • With a slotted spoon, gently push the bhatura down and release immediately. Do this several times and the bread will puff up. When the bread is all puffed up, flip the bhatura over and cook for another 10-15 seconds. Do all the bhatura this way.
  • Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.

I tried 2 methods of cooking then tonight, shallow frying (sunflower oil) and air frying (200°C for 5 mins having coated each side with a little olive oil).

Both were very successful. The air fryer versions puffed up better than the shallow fried, but I think the shallow fried may just have had the edge on the taste. I'll try baking them with and without oil tomorrow.

I tried 2 methods of cooking then tonight, shallow frying (sunflower oil) and air frying (200°C for 5 mins having coated each side with a little olive oil).
Great! So the big questions are:
What did they taste like?
Were they "oily"?
Was the texture smooth and silky?
Were they crispy on the outside, or just hard , and soft on the inside?

Great! So the big questions are:
What did they taste like?
Were they "oily"?
Was the texture smooth and silky?
Were they crispy on the outside, or just hard , and soft on the inside?
They tasted good. The shallow fried one was slightly oily to be honest, but I didn't test the temperature, just worked "blind" so to speak. I'm guessing it was the right temp because it only took 2 mins each side if that. I did turn it for obvious reasons. The air fryer seemed better in that sense. They were both crispy on the outside and soft in the middle with a slight tang to the taste that was refreshing target than unpleasant.

The dough texture was smooth and silky, big time.... (I have a Magimix Patissier which is a disperse food processor with a dedicated baking bowl and blade. A few minutes kneading in there was all it needed. )

Back
Top Bottom