Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Biscuits.jpg

Ingredients

• 300 g. white flour
  • 120 g. brown sugar
  • 90 g. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 lemon zest (or orange zest if you prefer)
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • Some drops of vanilla extract
  • a pinch of salt
  • cherry jam
  • powdered sugar
Method for the pastry

Beat the eggs and gradually add the oil, mix constantly. Then add the brown sugar, mix constantly. Knead the mixture with the flour, add baking powder, lemon zest, some drops of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt; you have to get a smooth compact dough ( See picture below ).

Dough-2-184x300.jpg

Put now the dough on a work surface. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for about 30/40 minutes. After this time, you can use it for preparing biscuits.

Method for biscuits

First of all, pre-heat the oven.

Roll the dough on a chopping board with a rolling-pin. Now with a glass or with a round pastry cutter, make some disks of pastry, the size you prefer. On each pastry disk put a teaspoon of cherry jam and then close it with another piece of pastry.

Bake them for about 15/20 minutes in an oven that’s been preheated to 200 degrees. When they begin to brown, take off from the oven, let them cool down, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photo @MypinchofItaly! They certainly look very, very good.

Thank you @morning glory, always kind..this is a photo of few months ago ( after your advices!) like this recipe..but I've never posted the whole recipe yet. I really love this biscuits, because they have a particular taste and are anyway very soft.

You mention a packet of vanillin in the ingredients. I wasn't familiar with this so I googled. It seems that it isn't real vanilla? And it has some bad press. I don't think it is sold here but I'm sure we can substitute a few drops of vanilla extract instead.

You mention a packet of vanillin in the ingredients. I wasn't familiar with this so I googled. It seems that it isn't real vanilla? And it has some bad press. I don't think it is sold here but I'm sure we can substitute a few drops of vanilla extract instead.

Absolutely true, is an extract of real vanilla but I think is not so bad. Vanilla berries are very expensive and often use vanillina is a comfortable choice, but also use vanilla drops is ok. I may have to change this ingredient with : some drops of Vanilla extract or Vanilla berries ( bacche-I don't know how to translate).

Absolutely true, is an extract of real vanilla but I think is not so bad. Vanilla berries are very expensive and often use vanillina is a comfortable choice, but also use vanilla drops is ok. I may have to change this ingredient with : some drops of Vanilla extract or Vanilla berries ( bacche-I don't know how to translate).
If it is a help, we have vanilla extract and vanilla beans.

I like this recipe as a sweet variation of the southern American-style biscuit (by which I mean the kind where butter is featured prominently). Very nice!
@The Late Night Gourmet this in no way resembles a southern American biscuit. It does however sound like an excellent cookie. Which as soon as the weather cools off, I will be trying.

@The Late Night Gourmet this in no way resembles a southern American biscuit. It does however sound like an excellent cookie. Which as soon as the weather cools off, I will be trying.
I know it's not...I really meant that it uses oil instead of butter for the fat. If you have an authentic biscuit recipe, I'd be very interested. I don't get south of the Mason-Dixon line very often (and I don't believe where I've been in Florida counts).

I know it's not...I really meant that it uses oil instead of butter for the fat. If you have an authentic biscuit recipe, I'd be very interested. I don't get south of the Mason-Dixon line very often (and I don't believe where I've been in Florida counts).
Oil, butter, shortening all are fats that can be used.

Biscuits.jpg

Ingredients

• 300 g. white flour
  • 120 g. brown sugar
  • 90 g. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 lemon zest (or orange zest if you prefer)
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • Some drops of vanilla extract
  • a pinch of salt
  • cherry jam
  • powdered sugar
Method for the pastry

Beat the and gradually add the oil, mix constantly. Then add the brown sugar, mix constantly. Knead the mixture with the flour, add baking powder, lemon zest, vanillin extract and a pinch of salt; you have to get a smooth compact dough ( See picture below ).

Dough-2-184x300.jpg

Put now the dough on a work surface. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for about 30/40 minutes. After this time, you can use it for preparing biscuits.

Method for biscuits

First of all, pre-heat the oven.

Roll the dough on a chopping board with a rolling-pin. Now with a glass or with a round pastry cutter, make some disks of pastry, the size you prefer. On each pastry disk put a teaspoon of cherry jam and then close it with another piece of pastry.

Bake them for about 15/20 minutes in an oven that’s been preheated to 200 degrees. When they begin to brown, take off from the oven, let them cool down, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve up!
They look divine i am going to try these ..although baking is not my strong point

Back
Top Bottom