Bizarre food combos you love!

I'm curious. What did you expect? ;-)

I don't know. I think I imagined you sucking on small peppermint sweets (candies) whilst munching the pickled cucumbers. I also thought maybe you made a sort of fruit salad with peppermint leaves and pickled cucumber - actually, that could be rather good.

Reactions: mjd
I don't know. I think I imagined you sucking on small peppermint sweets (candies) whilst munching the pickled cucumbers. I also thought maybe you made a sort of fruit salad with peppermint leaves and pickled cucumber - actually, that could be rather good.

Ah. It's not a fancy treat at all. LOL The peppermint and cucumber salad sounds like a good combo. I think I'll try that!

Chocolate with salmiak filling (salty liqourice). Can't think of much else except peanut butter/sambal/cucumber sandwiches which are a Dutch indonesian thing. Also crackers with cottage cheese and strawberry jam.

Oh and of course mayo on fries, which seems to be controversial in most of the world. I must just mention Dutch mayonaise is different in taste from those from any other country.

Friet or Patat? The ultimate guide to Dutch fries – DutchReview

Mayo with fries is good. Even better is tartar sauce with fries.

CD

Chips and mustard

Chips meaning UK chips? I like them with American mustard.

More:
Crisp sandwiches (as in UK potato crisps known as chips in the UK)
Tinned macaroni cheese with fresh cooked spinach mixed in. Its not a looker. Heinz macaroni cheese is particularly good. I think they changed the recipe as I remember the pasta used to be completely soft. Its now a little 'al dente'. Much better.

More:
Tinned macaroni cheese with fresh cooked spinach mixed in. Its not a looker. Heinz macaroni cheese is particularly good. I think they changed the recipe as I remember the pasta used to be completely soft. Its now a little 'al dente'. Much better.

Chips (crisps) are great on tuna salad sandwiches.

The best ready made mac and cheese here is Stouffer's. Great with bacon (of course) but also with veggies like broccoli or cauliflower. Spinach would probably work well, too.

Unknown-1.jpeg

CD

You lost me with the pineapple pizza. Do you openly admit this with your Italian friends and family?

CD

I was joking
But making a hypothesis, I think an open admission to family and friends would be something like Clockwork Orange reaction afterwards, showing me non-stop images of Neapolitan pizzas and sacrifices to pineapple pizza in the suburbs of little Italy.

Last edited:

More:

Yes I mean UK chips, I love them too with mustard, whatever.

Crisp sandwiches, yep, count me in!

I've never had Heinz macaroni cheese...Yes, I think that 'al dente' are much better anyway, more stick to Italian pasta-style
(Have I really just said this about Heinz macaroni cheese?? :laugh:)

Liver, rice and raisin casserole with lingonberry jam (it's actually the most common convenience food in Finland). The brand has to be particulal; with a sweet and savory taste and just a hue of liver. Some people feed this "crap" only to the dogs. I had a craving for this - charred brown on a skillet - when I was pregnant. We still have it sometimes - maybe a few times a year - usually accompanied with grated carrots.
ma.jpg

Photo source

Like Windigo, I love salmiak - liquorice flavored with ammonium chloride. The saltier and stingier the better. Salmiak sticks to the teeth quite easily. Mostly you just suck the candies (until your palate sings Halleluja). I often have a glass of skimmed milk or fruit juice on the side to soften the blow.
hu_19.jpg
lov.jpg
hun.JPG
sil.JPG

In the summer I like munching fresh lovage from the vegetable garden - and often combine the greens with rye crackers.

I also like dipping lactic acid cured pickled (dill) cucumbers into runny honey (and maybe adding a dollop of sour cream/crème fraîche to finish). It's a Russian loan - and a quite similar pickled cucumber & sweet combo as mjd-lovescooking's pickle & mint treat. Hers is just much more fascinating - and crunchy.

One more: sliced eggs and sweet & sour pickled raw herring on top of rye bread.

Back
Top Bottom