Local time
7:26 AM
Black Bean-Stuffed Peppers
Makes 6 large or 8 medium green peppers

Based on recipe at Allrecipes.com - Vegetarian Mexican Inspired Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients
Green peppers, parboiled green 3-4 minutes; drained and cooled
2 cups/475ml pre-cooked white rice
(alternate: 120 grams uncooked + 230 gram water per Jamie Oliver oven method)
0.5 cup / 120 ml finely diced yellow onion - option: saute in olive oil prior to use
1 15oz/425 grams can black beans, drained and liquid reserved
1 15oz/425 grams can "chili style diced tomatoes" (*), liquid drained and reserved
(can be drained to same bowl and mixed)
1 teaspoon / 5 ml chili powder
1 teaspoon / 5 ml garlic salt (alternative: 0.5 teaspoon garlic powder + add'l 0.5 teaspoon salt below)
0.5 teaspoon / 2.5 ml ground cumin
0.5 teaspoon / 2.5 ml salt
1.5 cups / 355 ml / 350 grams shredded cheese, plus more for topping

Method
Pre-heat oven to 350'F/175'C
in a large bowl, combine rice + black beans + diced tomato
Season with spices (chili powder through salt)
Mix / fold well; add minor amount reserved bean/tomato liquid if needed.
Mix / fold in shredded cheese - blend to personal preference

Stuff peppers with mix; spoon ca. 2 tablespoons / 30 ml reserved liquid over each stuffed pepper and allow to soak through the stuffing

Top peppers with additional/remaining shredded cheese -

Bake uncovered in preheated 350'F/175'C oven for 30 minutes until cheese melts and bubbles.

Notes:
1. Pre-cook rice/soak dry beans overnight
2. Par-boil peppers
3. We had peppers left over; after cooling / refrigerating and later meal, this dish is much better if made a day ahead and allowed to flavor-meld overnight. if making ahead, add cheese topping when reheated.
4. Any ground/diced meat could be added - recommend pre-cooking meat

(*)chili style diced tomatoes
this can be tricky to find depending on your area. contents per label:
tomatoes
tomato juice
sugar
salt
dried onion
dried celery
dried bell pepper
"natural flavors" - on the front of the can it says "with cumin"

I like the fact this recipe uses green peppers. I really like them, though I know many prefer red or yellow as they are sweeter. But I think the combination of earthy black beans with 'grassy' green pepper is lovely.

yuppers. yellow / red sweet bell peppers have a different "taste" than green. not terribly 'subtle' and also not terribly 'different'

I have another recipe for "New England Scallop Chowder" which calls for black beans and cumin.
now . . . there's not much that is more definitive to "southwest cuisine" than cumin, perhaps black beans - so one must always feel free to reject the 'name' and go with the 'taste'

that said, black beans are their own character - and are not a universal substitute for "beans"

. . . there's not much that is more definitive to "southwest cuisine" than cumin, perhaps black beans - so one must always feel free to reject the 'name' and go with the 'taste'

that said, black beans are their own character - and are not a universal substitute for "beans"

Cumin (aka: comino) can make or break a dish. A little bit adds an interesting flavor, too much will ruin food. You have to be careful. Half a teaspoon is a good amount. :okay:

Down here, pinto beans and black beans are both staples of TexMex cooking. I go back and forth, as I like both of them.

CD

yup. I've had restaurant dishes that were 'cumin' overkilled . . .

except for baked beans, I prefer to 'soak my own' for bean dishes - my stash . . .
IMG_1461.JPG

Back
Top Bottom