Recipe Black garlic, cherry and dark chocolate truffles

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:47 AM
just got done watching 1 of the Food Network holiday competition shows and the tasting element 1 team came up with was the above. The judges raved about it. It was a dark chocolate ganache with smashed black garlic in it, refrigerated, wrapped around a stemmed maraschino cherry, refrigerated again, then dipped in probably semisweet chocolate given the color. They were decorated with freeform stripes of something red, I'm guessing white chocolate dyed red.

anybody want to give it a try with me?

Last edited:
just got done watching 1 of the Food Network holiday competition hows and the tasting element 1 team came up with was the above. The judges raved about it. It was a dark chocolate ganache with smashed black garlic in it, refrigerated, wrapped around a stemmed maraschino cherry, refrigerated again, then dipped in probably semisweet chocolate given the color. They were decorated with freeform stripes of something red, I'm guessing white chocolate dyed red.

anybody want to give it a try with me?

I'm always up for a challenge. I have black garlic. I don't have a sweet tooth but I could make this for a gift.

I'm always up for a challenge. I have black garlic. I don't have a sweet tooth but I could make this for a gift.

From what they said it wasn't real sweet, just rich.

I wasn't going to make a lot, just enough to give it a try.

It's like a truffle with the cherry stem sticking out the top.

I was actually thinking about this while we were out for breakfast. I had the idea of using eggshells as molds (since I don't have any small silicone ones) and skipping the shaping around the cherry and then refrigerating again.

Was looking at recipes and found one that looked interesting, using:

220 grams good quality dark chocolate
110 ml heavy cream
4-5 black garlic cloves

I'll make half of that. Haven't looked yet, but I'm pretty sure I have enough dark chocolate. It did say to refrigerate overnight before dipping.

Okay, I used clean eggshells for my molds, but would preferably use silicone molds if I'd had some the proper size.

Makes 6-7

2 ounces semisweet chocolate
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp or so black garlic paste
Maraschino cherries

Finely chop chocolate. Work paste into chocolate. Heat heavy cream until almost boiling. Pour cream over chocolate mix and stir until smooth. Pour some of the chocolate mix into a mold, place a cherry in, pour in more chocolate mix, covering cherry. Refrigerate a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.

you could use fresh cherries as well, even frozen/thawed.

While I was putting them together, had a thought that I wished I'd had the night before - soaking the cherries in kirschwasser!

Thought I'd post the pics. They are pretty good. I taste a hint of black garlic. Craig doesn't. I know one thing though, never again will I use egg shells as molds. Some of them came off okay, but others had to be picked off little piece by little piece.

Back
Top Bottom