Black pasta

Duck59

Guru
Local time
9:21 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
My local fruit and veg shop has some black pasta. I was intrigued, but I avoided it because the black colouring comes from squid ink and I'm vegetarian. I'm assuming that all black pasta is produced in this way. It looked nice, though.

Yep - its not vegetarian. I have never tried it either. I do find buckwheat pasta very nice and the red and green (tomato? and spinach) versions are also very nice, but costly compared to plain pasta.

From the Waitrose website which is quite an interesting read.... https://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/food_glossary/pasta.html sorry I am sad that way! :laugh:

Coloured pastas are also available - green pasta is coloured with spinach, red with tomatoes or red peppers and the exotic-looking black pasta is coloured with squid ink.

I've seen all sorts of exotically coloured pasta in Italy, as well as in delis in the UK.

Eat the Italian flag...

rwgstripe2.jpg

I often make my own squid ink pasta (you can buy squid ink in little sachets or harvest it straight from a whole squid). Its actually very easy to do if you know how to make pasta. I suppose there might be a way of colouring pasta black which would be vegetarian. Aside from using black food colouring, I will need to think about that one... You can make your own green or red pasta by colouring with spinach or tomatoes or red peppers.

I wonder if black turtle beans might work? I've got some dried ones in the cupboard so I might experiment with that. That reminds me: Waitrose sell tins of black beans which are very good. Excellent in Chilli.

I wonder if black turtle beans might work? I've got some dried ones in the cupboard so I might experiment with that. That reminds me: Waitrose sell tins of black beans which are very good. Excellent in Chilli.
The problem with that is that their coats are the black bit and cooking them reduces the colouring in them considerable. The beans inside are less colours considerably and when you puree the lot together (I make a black been brownie) they are more of a pale purple colour with the black beans I get.

The problem with that is that their coats are the black bit and cooking them reduces the colouring in them considerable. The beans inside are less colours considerably and when you puree the lot together (I make a black been brownie) they are more of a pale purple colour with the black beans I get.
The ones I use are black through and through. The canned ones from Waitrose are too (they are Epicure brand but you can buy them in Waitrose). They are turtle beans. You must be using something different.

LN_028022_BP_10.jpg

Maybe make a paste with fermented black beans or black onion seed
Yes, I thought of both those too - but fermented black beans have a very strong flavour and I suspect the resulting pasta would only really be of use as noodles in an asian style dish. Can't see them being used with Italian tomato sauce and Parmesan! As for onion seed, or indeed Kalonji (Nigella) seed, I reckon it could work but you would get a speckled result. And perhaps a change in texture as the seeds would add a bit of crunch! I'll have a go at that too when I experiment with the turtle bean colouring.

Tomorrow has now been designated as black pasta making day, for me!

Yes, I thought of both those too - but fermented black beans have a very strong flavour and I suspect the resulting pasta would only really be of use as noodles in an asian style dish. Can't see them being used with Italian tomato sauce and Parmesan! As for onion seed, or indeed Kalonji (Nigella) seed, I reckon it could work but you would get a speckled result. And perhaps a change in texture as the seeds would add a bit of crunch! I'll have a go at that too when I experiment with the turtle bean colouring.

Tomorrow has now been designated as black pasta making day, for me!
I actually have a jar of black sesame seed paste in my cupboards... I was wondering what could be done with it!

If its paste, that would solve problem of potential grittiness. Good idea!
It's a very fine paste. your only problem is where to purchase it from. I bought it over the internet... unless you have something that is capable of making a very fine paste out of your existing black sesame seeds?

Back
Top Bottom