Black pasta

how is the quest coming?
Its funny. I was about to post an update! I didn't yet try the charcoal idea from @Berties but I tried just about everything else. If you are into grey pasta, I'm now an expert....
However, I was going to post because someone has beaten me to it. Quite by chance I found and ordered this from Ocado. Its made from black beans which is one of my ideas and which I tried out. However, this is made entirely from black beans (no flour), hence the black, rather than grey colour. Arguably its not really pasta! Its a Swedish product and is called
A La Eco Black Bean Spaghetti. Anyway, I bought some as it was on offer for £1,99. I'll report back on whether it tastes anything like pasta.

291934011_0_640x640.jpg

Cooked the black bean pasta last night. On closer inspection it is actually made in china but marketed by a Swedish company. There seem to be other black bean pastas from China available on the internet (and no doubt in China Town).

They tasted good with a bit of bite. A bit 'nuttier' tasting than white pasta. But they didn't hold their colour like squid ink pasta. They went a sort of brownish colour. I did them with crab, spring onions and chilli. Coriander sprinkled on top.

Just seen Rick steins new TV programme Venice to Istanbul and he had a cuttle fish risotto in Croatia and his teeth was a black as night so then masked it with a local red wine......that's a hard job if I've ever seen one

I saw somne black pasta in Lidls a couple of years ago, it was a special Halloween one :D, and then I saw it had squid ink in it and though yuck! (I'm vegan) so would love to try and make some vegan friendls black pasta for this Halloween. Has anyone tried just adding black food colouring or does that not work? Here is some vegan friendly colouring from Lakeland http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16951/Black-Food-Colouring
Might try making some pasta from scratch and using it! :)

I saw somne black pasta in Lidls a couple of years ago, it was a special Halloween one :D, and then I saw it had squid ink in it and though yuck! (I'm vegan) so would love to try and make some vegan friendls black pasta for this Halloween. Has anyone tried just adding black food colouring or does that not work? Here is some vegan friendly colouring from Lakeland http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16951/Black-Food-Colouring
Might try making some pasta from scratch and using it! :)
Well, that's interesting. I was avoiding using black food colouring in my experiments. As you can see, I was trying to make a vegetarian version (even though I'm not vegetarian). But this colouring is made from carbon black. Might be a bit carcinogenic! But I'm sure it would work. It would be purely aesthetic, since the pasta would take the same as white pasta and not have that wonderful subtle iodine taste from the squid ink.

I'l l try it.

My local fruit and veg shop has some black pasta. I was intrigued, but I avoided it because the black colouring comes from squid ink and I'm vegetarian. I'm assuming that all black pasta is produced in this way. It looked nice, though.
Wow, black pasta that is something unique. I have seen them use squid ink before on the Food Network. It is one of the things that you can use when looking for quality pastas and something different to have. I could see why you would not want to eat it if you are a vegetarian.

I do not care for the black squid ink pasta. However, I do like the pasta died with spinch or tomatoes. I use them a lot to try to get just a little more vegetables into my grandson, even though they do not contain a significant amount of the vegetables. Besides, they just make a pretty pasta. When I can find elbow macaroni with the tomato or spinach in them, I like to use them mixed in macaroni and cheese. Makes a pretty dish and a nice change from the regular white or whole wheat pastas.

Well, I have to confess that the black and white threads and later pink were eye openers for me. I had seen none of it before and I must confess the gothic look in this case would have intrigued me had I come upon it while traveling. I have to wonder if it's available in my country and will honestly start a serious search in that regard. It's one of those I'm willing to try at least once just to see how it all goes down.

Well, I have to confess that the black and white threads and later pink were eye openers for me. I had seen none of it before and I must confess the gothic look in this case would have intrigued me had I come upon it while traveling. I have to wonder if it's available in my country and will honestly start a serious search in that regard. It's one of those I'm willing to try at least once just to see how it all goes down.
You'll love it @winterybella, if you can find it do it with prawns (shrimp) and cilantro for jewel like colours against the black.

Back
Top Bottom