Recipe Blackberry Risotto with Crispy Pancetta

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:17 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

Blackberries have a sweet-sourish flavour that releases a charming non-invasive aftertaste. The savouriness of pancetta – pork belly – and the soft light cream cheese we added, balance perfectly the flavour.
Instead of making the usual vegetable broth, we simply used hot water which worked very well.

Serves 2-3, Preparation 10 mins, Cooking 20 mins

• 240 g Carnaroli rice
  • 1 onion
  • 500 ml hot water
  • 200 g fresh blackberries
  • 50 g soft light cream cheese
  • 50 ml white dry wine
  • 80 g diced unsmoked pancetta
  • 40 g grated Parmigiano cheese
  • EVOO – Extra virgin olive oil, a tbsp
  • Unsalted butter, a knob

Method

Blend the blackberries with an immersion blender until you get a puree, filter through a sieve to remove seeds so as to obtain a smooth and homogeneous cream. Set aside.

Brown diced pancetta until crispy – no oil or butter addition. Set aside.

Heat 500 ml of water and keep it hot.

Tip: do not add pancetta directly to the rice while it is cooking, otherwise it will be boiled and losing its taste and crunchiness.
Slice finely the onion, brown it in a pot with Evoo and a knob of butter.

After a few minutes add the rice to toast it and stir. It should become translucent. As soon as the rice is toasted, turn up the heat and pour in the white wine, let it evaporate completely. Slowly add hot water a little at a time, stir, add a tablespoon of spreadable cheese, stir, then a little more water if it dries out too much and cook the risotto evenly. Almost at the end of the cooking time, add the blackberry puree, mix well while lowering the flame, add a few pieces of pancetta, stir and cook for the last few minutes.

Remove from the heat, add grated Parmigiano and stir, garnish with the rest of the crispy pancetta and serve hot.

TheChefGoingHomeToday I’ve just reminded about this recipe I’ve posted time ago and I’ve used only hot water instead of broth that it would have been not very fitting considered the ingredients
Blackberry risotto... that is a first for me! Oh yes, broth wouldn't have been good at all. I enjoy trying new things so I'll give this a go. Blackberries are out of season here, so it may have to be frozen. Thanks for linking to the post :thumbsup:

Blackberry risotto... that is a first for me! Oh yes, broth wouldn't have been good at all. I enjoy trying new things so I'll give this a go. Blackberries are out of season here, so it may have to be frozen. Thanks for linking to the post :thumbsup:

My pleasure :thumbsup:

Yes sure, the frozen ones work perfectly too
I was a bit skeptical at the beginning about this risotto, but since I like to experiment and combine flavours, well, I’ve found this very good - at least for my tastebuds
Pancetta is very appropriate here, it gives a savoury crunchy note but not too much invasive

My pleasure :thumbsup:

Yes sure, the frozen ones work perfectly too
I was a bit skeptical at the beginning about this risotto, but since I like to experiment and combine flavours, well, I’ve found this very good - at least for my tastebuds
Pancetta is very appropriate here, it gives a savoury crunchy note but not too much invasive
Well at a restaurant we like one of their signature starter dishes is chicken liver parfait with strawberry and white chocolate... When I first saw it on the menu I was like :eek::unsure:. It was absolutely delicious! We have it every time it's on the menu. Just shows that unusual flavour combinations can work.

Well at a restaurant we like one of their signature starter dishes is chicken liver parfait with strawberry and white chocolate... When I first saw it on the menu I was like :eek::unsure:. It was absolutely delicious! We have it every time it's on the menu. Just shows that unusual flavour combinations can work.

Chicken liver parfait with strawberry and white chocolate? Ok now this is blowing my mind! Sounds a no no no, but as you said, unusual flavour combos can work!

Chicken liver parfait with strawberry and white chocolate? Ok now this is blowing my mind! Sounds a no no no, but as you said, unusual flavour combos can work!
During lockdown many restaurants in the UK have been doing "dine at home" meals, where they supply the restaurant dishes prepared for you to finish as home. We havent had many of these as I enjoy cooking and trying to recreate these meals anyway. This restaurant did a meal with some of our favourite dishes in so we had one. Here is the recipe card for the chicken liver parfait...

20210321_182613.jpg

I may give the risotto a go. Love blackberries and I can see pancetta going with them. I bet some strips of prosciutto would go as well since prosciutto, melons and pears do well together.

During lockdown many restaurants in the UK have been doing "dine at home" meals, where they supply the restaurant dishes prepared for you to finish as home. We havent had many of these as I enjoy cooking and trying to recreate these meals anyway. This restaurant did a meal with some of our favourite dishes in so we had one. Here is the recipe card for the chicken liver parfait...

View attachment 59606

Interesting! Thank you for sharing

View attachment 59606

I’ve taken a look at their Instagram, oh wow, they have a spiced rum babà with pineapple and coconut ice cream :hyper:
On my “to visit list” whenever I’ll come back to the UK

Back
Top Bottom