BLTs - what are your methods?

I want the good stuff, thick cut, apple wood smoked, either store bought or home made bacon. My version is a turkey club with toasted white bread, Boston lettuce, beefsteak tomato, lots of mayo and of course roasted turkey. It has a middle piece of bread to separate the BLT from the turkey.

I always always toast (grill or fry) the bread. The one time I was served it not-toasted, ie just right out of the packaging, it was terrible. But they also "forgot" the mayo - this was at Dad's assisted living home and I guess they thought no mayo would make it "healthy". They also only served each person a half sandwich - granted most of the clientele were little old ladies, but Dad was over six feet tall. For all those reasons, this was the worst BLT I ever ate.

I don't make it all that often - I don't buy bread all that often - but if I do, I prefer a multigrain or a rye bread from a real bakery, toasted, add the lettuce, usually Romaine - in-season tomatoes, and the bacon. Bacon and the toast still warm when served. But, honestly, this is one of the few occasions where regular supermarket tomatoes can work anyway. It's the entire gestalt of the whole sandwich working together.

PS, Tasty - I can get behind fried bread in bacon grease, too.

Last edited:
I like a nice crusty white bread roll with sesame seeds on top. Halved and lightly toasted. A couple of rashers of shortcut (or English) bacon cooked just through, and a couple of slices of streaky (American) bacon cooked to crispy. Shredded Cos or iceberg lettuce, sliced vine-ripened tomatoes, and a really good quality whole-egg mayo.
I've just had dinner & I'm salivating at the thought

Same. It's fat enough to fry on it's own.

Bacon needs no lube. I put mine in a cold pan, and let come up to medium high heat. It takes a little longer, but the bacon stays flat and gets just crisp enough.

CD

Additions to the BLT: The local diner makes a breakfast BLT with an egg put in there for good measure, and I think they grill their bread. I've ordered it with rye.

I've had, and have made, BLT-A: with avocado slices.

This is something I wanted to try on a vacation (remember those?) some years back: a Lobster BLT: (It also contained avocado). Unfortunately the previous night I'd ordered a lobster dish at a different restaurant and it came with about two spoonfuls of lobster. When I saw the below at the table next to mine, I had to snap the shot... about five times as much lobster for two thirds of the price!
dead-eye-dick-lobster-blt.jpg

Oh, and homemade efforts for those of us just not that much into bread:

The Open Faced BLT:

open-face-blt.jpg

The BLT Salad: (topped with fennel sprigs)

blt-done-.jpg

And my version of a breakfast BLT served with egg. In between two SMALL slices of toasted bread, with
cherry tomatoes, Boston lettuce...

breakfast-blt-served.jpg

breakfast-blt-r2.jpg

(The above before the second layer of lettuce, more mayo, and the top slice of toast.)

Oh, and homemade efforts for those of us just not that much into bread:

The Open Faced BLT:

View attachment 45033

The BLT Salad: (topped with fennel sprigs)

View attachment 45034

And my version of a breakfast BLT served with egg. In a toasted English muffin with
cherry tomatoes, Boston lettuce...

View attachment 45035

View attachment 45036
(The above before the second layer of lettuce, more mayo, and the muffin lid.)

You BLTs sound very interesting, but I'm kinda' stuck in the past with certain comfort foods, and a BLT is one of them. I don't eat them often, but when I do, I like plain old white toast, good bacon, iceberg lettuce and a decent tomato.

Most bacon here is hickory smoked, but apple-wood smoked bacon is really good, too.

CD

I want the good stuff, thick cut, apple wood smoked, either store bought or home made bacon. My version is a turkey club with toasted white bread, Boston lettuce, beefsteak tomato, lots of mayo and of course roasted turkey. It has a middle piece of bread to separate the BLT from the turkey.

Apple-wood smoked bacon is really good. I use apple for smoking pork all the time. I like a turkey/bacon club. too.

CD

Probably my favorite deli meat sandwich is a club sandwich. The applewood bacon I get from Kroger (Wright's, which I think is owned by Tyson), is what I usually grab for my thick-cut bacon.

I do make a BLT salad, sort of a deconstructed BLT, with the croutons fried in the bacon fat.

I prefer fresh, untoasted white bread, lightly toasted if it's not fresh. Mayonnaise, lettuce, bacon and tomato only. No additions. Oh, tomatoes have to be firm, but ripe.

I prefer fresh, untoasted white bread, lightly toasted if it's not fresh. Mayonnaise, lettuce, bacon and tomato only. No additions. Oh, tomatoes have to be firm, but ripe.

I'm with you most of the way. For some reason I'll probably never understand, soft bread with a BLT just doesn't work for me. But, I also don't like additions, like avocado, on a BLT. Just bacon, lettuce and tomato.

CD

Back
Top Bottom