BLTs - what are your methods?

I prefer soft fresh bread so that it contrasts with slightly crunchy bacon and lettuce. Mayonnaise is not something I can eat so I make a yoghurt/Dijon mustard dressing.

What is the correct order to assemble it? I put bacon then lettuce then tomato then dressing.

I prefer soft fresh bread so that it contrasts with slightly crunchy bacon and lettuce. Mayonnaise is not something I can eat so I make a yoghurt/Dijon mustard dressing.

What is the correct order to assemble it? I put bacon then lettuce then tomato then dressing.
Well, the correct way is whatever way you like. My correct way is a load of mayo on the first piece of bread, then lettuce, then tomato (salted and peppered), then bacon, then another load of mayo on the second piece of bread. 😋

The above is how I make it as well, except I don't "load" the mayonnaise. I put the tomato in the middle, usually with a tiny sprinkle of salt, so that the bread doesn't get soggy from the juice as fast.

The above is how I make it as well, except I don't "load" the mayonnaise. I put the tomato in the middle, usually with a tiny sprinkle of salt, so that the bread doesn't get soggy from the juice as fast.

I build mine the same way, with lettuce on the bottom, then tomato, and bacon on top. I also use mayo on both pieces of bread, but not too much. I have never used salt or pepper on my BLTs. The bacon provides all the seasoning.

CD

Apple-wood smoked bacon is really good. I use apple for smoking pork all the time. I like a turkey/bacon club. too.

CD

I do love good apple wood smoked bacon! Not fond of turkey deli meat, but I've eaten club sandwiches with that in them.
The bacon helps a LOT.

Oh, btw, just because he posted the video last night, here's a Kenji version of a classic BLT: (It's about the tomato for him....)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BfZn9HHKI0

I've had a BLT on baguette, and it is good. Do you use "English" bacon or American, which is "streaky" from the belly, cured and smoked?

I like both cuts of bacon, but they are different.

CD
I've never heard those terms before! By 'English bacon' do you mean back bacon? Like:
1597757467408.png

This cut did become dominant in the eighties when people started to become fat-phobic. More recently, streaky bacon has come back into popularity here, as people realised that the fat is actually the tastiest bit. I would say they are probably equal in popularity in general outlets, but streaky is very popular in the more niche butchers and deli's, who tend to cure their own. A deli I use sells a version of streaky bacon from a small artisan producer that is known as 'heart attack bacon'. It's streaky, but around two parts fat to one part meat.

I never put mayonnaise on a BLT. And always use heated tomatoes (peeled and chopped if fresh).

Who would have thought - so many variations with just three simple ingredients! At the moment I am carb free, so mine are deconstructed, without bread. Three layers of each with mayo, salt & pepper between each. Preferably streaky bacon, but as long as it's dry cured I am happy, Marmande/beefsteak tomato, thickly sliced, and Romaine lettuce.

I've never heard those terms before! By 'English bacon' do you mean back bacon? Like:
View attachment 45086
This cut did become dominant in the eighties when people started to become fat-phobic. More recently, streaky bacon has come back into popularity here, as people realised that the fat is actually the tastiest bit. I would say they are probably equal in popularity in general outlets, but streaky is very popular in the more niche butchers and deli's, who tend to cure their own. A deli I use sells a version of streaky bacon from a small artisan producer that is known as 'heart attack bacon'. It's streaky, but around two parts fat to one part meat.

Sorry, I wasn't sure what you Brits called it. I believe it is called back bacon in Canada, too. I also haven't been to the UK since 1995, so I'm also behind on food trends. :wink:

CD

Sorry, I wasn't sure what you Brits called it. I believe it is called back bacon in Canada, too. I also haven't been to the UK since 1995, so I'm also behind on food trends. :wink:

CD
No apologies needed :) One cut that has fallen out of fashion is 'middle bacon', both back and streaky in the same rasher.

No apologies needed :) One cut that has fallen out of fashion is 'middle bacon', both back and streaky in the same rasher.

Question, is streaky bacon there usually both cured and smoked? I've heard different stories. Here, it is almost always cured and smoked, usually with hickory wood, but sometimes with apple wood, which is amazing.

CD

Question, is streaky bacon there usually both cured and smoked? I've heard different stories. Here, it is almost always cured and smoked, usually with hickory wood, but sometimes with apple wood, which is amazing.

CD
Both. Unsmoked is probably more common though. Most butchers stock both. I feel a visit to my fave bacon counter coming on tomorrow, photos may follow!

Back
Top Bottom