Recipe Blue Poppy Seed Cake

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:16 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
For once, I can actually provide a reference. We have adapted this cake to make it dairy free, from the Vegetarian Kitchen by Sarah Brown. Our copy is dated as a first reprint in 1984. It is one of those books that 'walked' when I left for university. It had been my parents attempt at adapting to me going vegetarian when I was 11. Only my Grannie & I ever used it, but if you see my copy, you'll know it's well used.

Poppy seeds are actually used for both texture and flavour in this cake, not just decoration.
You'll need an 8 inch cake tin.

I partially ground the seeds this time around and it has enhanced the flavour beautifully but if you prefer your cakes whiter, just add them whole after soaking in the milk. They should absorb most of it.

Ingredients
4oz (110g) Blue poppy seeds
8 fl oz (225ml) soy milk
8oz (225g) vegan butter or margarine
8oz (225g) light raw brown sugar
3 eggs, separated
8oz (225g) plain wholemeal flour
1¼ tsp baking powder

Method
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F/180°C/160°C fan assist/Gas mark 4. Line & grease an 8 inch cake tin.
  2. In a covered saucepan bring the poppy seeds and soy milk to the boil, remove from heat and allow to steep for a minimum of 25 minutes remaining covered.
  3. Meanwhile, cream the butter/marg with the sugar until light & fluffy. It should be several shades lighter than when you start blending.
  4. Add the egg yolks, one at a time with 1tbsp of flour, beating throughly each time.
  5. Sift the remaining flour with the baking powder, then fold into the creamed sugar & eggs mixture.
  6. Stir the poppy seeds & milk into the batter
  7. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Beat 2 tbsp of whites into the batter, then carefully fold the remaining whites into the batter
  8. Carefully spoon the mixture into the cake tin, & bakes for 50 mins - 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
  9. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the tin. Cool on a wire rack.
Pictures to follow in a few days.

Last edited:
I finally found enough poppy seeds and made the cake yesterday. It's always better the next day and after reading a few recipes, I made a small change to the recipe that has worked really well. I partially ground the poppy seeds after soaking in the soya milk. it's given the cake the darker colour but really brought the taste if the poppy seeds out.

My Father baked alot with Poppy Seeds, but I found them indigestible.
Does soaking them in milk aid in that SNSSO?
yes, it does hugely. it softens the outer shell which is the hard exterior preventing digestion. also partially grinding them will assist considerably as well.

Cool. You're giving me another ingredient to use (poppy seeds) that I haven't used before. Grinding and soaking the seeds is a great technique to get the flavor throughout...when I hear "poppy seeds", the "pop" in the name is all I think of (as in, every bite goes pop-pop-pop as you chew them).

Cool. You're giving me another ingredient to use (poppy seeds) that I haven't used before. Grinding and soaking the seeds is a great technique to get the flavor throughout...when I hear "poppy seeds", the "pop" in the name is all I think of (as in, every bite goes pop-pop-pop as you chew them).
I have another recipe that uses them as well that I'm hoping to get made today or tomorrow... (side effects of my 3rd covid vac permitting).

Back
Top Bottom